Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't people race rustlers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Because the cows, it's to hard to separate the rustlers from the cows. Rustlers and everyone else knows cow tipping is way to much fun so that makes it hard to race.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
They don't perform as well as other cars.
Race a Slash 4wd against a AE 4x4 or Durango desc410r.
Race the revo against a 1/8 truggy
Race a bandit against a 1/10 2wd buggy
Traxxas will always lose if both are driven by the same driver. I know someone who won a clubrace with a bandit and brushless set, but I guess that's because no one with skills showed up or they wrecked their cars
I placed 2nd (heat race with) a box stock Bandit I bought to build into an STRC/Protrac 2wd Slash for my son... Once. Unboxed it in the car, tossed in a charged 2s pack and 4 AA's in the TX, stuck a number and clipped a house transponder to it, and got my $10's worth.

For most club racing I think it is definately more racer than vehicle, and If you can get it around the track consistently the Rustler would be a fine vehicle to start with. Plus it would make any victory that much sweeter...
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

traxxas is more or bashers than the racers.

try racing a stock rustler to a stock t4 or xxx-t and see who wins
Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My first race with my XL-1 Rustler was actually down in SC right after I had gotten it and taken it on vacation. The only mod at that point was a pair of bow ties for the rear, and I ended up winning that night at the Grove Racing Center in Rock Hill. Everyone else was running Triple XT's and T4's and that night, consistent driving paid off (everyone was trying to do the doubles in stock truck and couldn't make them). I had the local factory Losi guy really ticked off after the main when I edged him out - but again, consistency was king that night on a new track and while it's not an instance that would happen frequently, it is indeed possible.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Why so down on anything but a race platform...

Answer of the day... Is the ruslter a less capable vehicle than say a T4.1... Yes, however is the rustler equiped with good electronics, good tires and a well tuned shock package capable of having fun at the club level and doing some racing... Yes!

I have a local guy that ran a slash most of last year, granted it was very upgraded and he did well with it in the standard SCT class. He is a good driver and had the truck dialed in and was getting the most out of it.

You can still learn to tune a shock package, drive a good line and get your gearing spot on with any vehicle. Go racing, have fun and if you feel you are getting all you can from your current platform, them you may consider upgrading.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
Answer of the day... Is the ruslter a less capable vehicle than say a T4.1... Yes, however is the rustler equiped with good electronics, good tires and a well tuned shock package capable of having fun at the club level and doing some racing... Yes!

I have a local guy that ran a slash most of last year, granted it was very upgraded and he did well with it in the standard SCT class. He is a good driver and had the truck dialed in and was getting the most out of it.

You can still learn to tune a shock package, drive a good line and get your gearing spot on with any vehicle. Go racing, have fun and if you feel you are getting all you can from your current platform, them you may consider upgrading.

Good luck and have fun!
Good answer
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brsilva
A co-worker gave me an OLD rustler, aparentlly made around 1992, it even still had a stinger motor and the original MSC. I brought it up to date, brushless esc and motor, ugraded to the VXL ball bearing carriers etc. That aside this old and heavier truck is still more than capeable of keeping up at the track with the lighter newer trucks. What is your opinion? What do you race?
I bought a Rustler XL-5 for my daughter a few years ago. Good truck and fun to drive around the track, but it's not a great racer. It uses softer parts which are great for durability, but not so great for racing. If you are a good driver and upgrade it sufficiently, I'm sure you could compete. No track owner worth a darn is going to turn away a paying customer, so they would find a place for you to race it. However, you will more than likely find it a tougher road than just investing in a "race grade" car.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11

Good luck and have fun!
+1. Good post.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can't believe no one has mentioned Jang's Ultimate Rustler. He won many races with a rustler.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

I have seen that rustler you are talking about. That is verging on bieing a rat rod so to speak. higly modified and not showing much of what it used to be. I'm not sure i could pull off that kind of modification at this time sucessfully. There do seem to be 2 or three of these highly moded rustlers your talking about.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Manshoon

Because the cows, it's to hard to separate the rustlers from the cows. Rustlers and everyone else knows cow tipping is way to much fun so that makes it hard to race.
That's hillarious actually. I like it! The one thing i do have to say about this truck though is it is extremely durable, soft parts or not. It semes to me, anyway, that the other trucks seem to be more fragile. It does scare me a little when i do think of getting something that more race bred. These guys have more years and experience under there belt and still have more maintenace problems, damaging the diffs popping the ball cups off etc. Am i seeing this wrong? Is there problem the truck or the driver? There always is a slider scale Heavy-light, Slow-Fast Durable-Fragile. The rustler obviously falls on the heavier slower and durable silde of these scales, but that doesn't mean it can't win the race, That determination is left to the driver and set up
Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

The Rustler is essentially an entry-level vehicle, with budget in mind. It is heavy, and critical parts have large tolerances or poor durability. But as a "gateway" RC, it does the job: getting people into RC.

One can do well with a rustler if it is driven decently. I consistently beat modified 2wd SCTs with my stock 2wd Slash (with LCG). The same can apply with the Rustler, you just have to drive it well. Slow is fast, to a degree.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

I raced my rustler for about one season,it works but then i got the Rt-5 and its day and night.

Sure you can race a rustler but when there are trucks that are designed to race i cant see why.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brsilva
A co-worker gave me an OLD rustler, aparentlly made around 1992, it even still had a stinger motor and the original MSC. I brought it up to date, brushless esc and motor, ugraded to the VXL ball bearing carriers etc. That aside this old and heavier truck is still more than capeable of keeping up at the track with the lighter newer trucks. What is your opinion? What do you race?
i guess im one of the few who do. yes, there are better race trucks (i also race a slash), but they dont give you the thrill that the rustler does; if you can pull of a win with a rustler, it is much more of an achievement then winning with a t4. Plus, racing the underdogs is fun. now while the rustler struggles to keep up, the slash is much more suitable to be raced (no, it doesnt need modifications, but they help loads) because the class was designed around it. plus, both of these trucks are ungodly strong when set up right.

Also, for all those haters out there, why do you hate traxxas? yes, some of their products have problems, but not every vehicle is perfect. I mean, lots of other companies have just as many if not more problems (coughCENcough). And, i think i would rather go with the company that lit the industry on fire 2 times, than one that has won 82 world championships with their pro drivers that could most definitely win races with a rustler. just my 3 1/2 cents
Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by prestondan
I placed 2nd (heat race with) a box stock Bandit I bought to build into an STRC/Protrac 2wd Slash for my son... Once. Unboxed it in the car, tossed in a charged 2s pack and 4 AA's in the TX, stuck a number and clipped a house transponder to it, and got my $10's worth.

For most club racing I think it is definately more racer than vehicle, and If you can get it around the track consistently the Rustler would be a fine vehicle to start with. Plus it would make any victory that much sweeter...
your right. plus, some people can drive rustlers better due to their numb handling; i perform better with non race setups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.