Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas enters Lipo market

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Traxxas enters Lipo market

Should be interesting to see what the price/performance is on these things. Can't be any worse then Maxamps

http://www.rc411.com/xrc-wp/2011/07/...-from-traxxas/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/traxxas-lipos-and-charger/

Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Prophet

not bad

wonder what the price is ?

and do they make 4c lipos in a 5000mah with a 30c rating ?
i like the charger they have .
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Considering their ESC and motors max out at 3s lipo usage, I doubt they make 4s
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Smart move by Traxxas.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I can see a massive influx of newbies blowing up Lipo batteries and blaming the world.....
Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
I can see a massive influx of newbies blowing up Lipo batteries and blaming the world.....
My first thought as well. Some 8 year old's dad is going to burn his house down trying to charge a lipo for his monster truck. Awesome.

They alao ran the wires right straight out the front, which is the worst possible spot. perfect.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
My first thought as well. Some 8 year old's dad is going to burn his house down trying to charge a lipo for his monster truck. Awesome.

They alao ran the wires right straight out the front, which is the worst possible spot. perfect.
exactly. not that i would ever consider purchasing another traxxas product of any kind, but i definitely won't be buying one of these. i'm sure they will be over priced and have inflated specs!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Look on the bright side. All the great things about LiPo that we've enjoyed? Now new hobbiests will have access to that. It's actually hard to blow up a lipo if the speed control is equipped with a low voltage cutoff. If they blow while charging it is caused by damage that occured at another time (crash damage, over discharge). The chargers are pretty much fool proof.

I see this as something that will help more first timers stay and advance to a second purchase.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

the people who will be quaking in their boots about this should be maxamps

traxxas is going to take their entire lunch

I'm sure these batteries will be good (has anyone seen bad lipo reviews, they're all fine for bashing) and I'm also sure they'll be expensive
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

or maybe they won't blow up and all you lipo fear mongers may eventually learn to accept that lipo batteries are not actually ticking time bombs
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver
or maybe they won't blow up and all you lipo fear mongers may eventually learn to accept that lipo batteries are not actually ticking time bombs
Right, but they do require significant amounts of care and maintenance vs. nimh batteries. Can't leave them charged too long, charging rates must be known and understood, etc... I don't think lipo is particularly dangerous, nor was Dlewis being a fearmonger, but they certainly can be dangerous, especially when compared to other battery types. They aren't just plug and go, which is what the majority of the traxxas market wants.

At the very least we are in for a couple thousand more "HEY GUYS HOW DO I CHARGE A LIPO" threads
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If traxxas was smart about their products they would include in every battery a smart circuit and would control the charge and discharge limits to just turn off the battery if the LV or HV condiion is met.

sure it would cost more to produce but I'm sure for the safety of their products for the newb it sounds almost manditory
Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I see both sides, but it will all come down the the charger they market with the batteries. If the charger is plug and play simple with nooooo adjustments then this will be a good introduction.

I do agree about the wires comming out at the wrong place, though. None of their vehicles are really setup for this type of wire routing without displacing the weight to the rear. Oh yeah, my bad, all we want is wheelies and backflips right!!!????? LOL
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I am definitely not afraid of lipos lol. Just saying in the wrong hands of someone who thinks just plug it in and press start.....
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool, then I can just go to Pep Boys and pick up a new Lipo.

Could not resist. I myself will try one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.