Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I’ve watched a surprising number of those vids. They’re a great source of information about things that works and things that don’t. Didn’t see anything in there about cooling, however. I hadn’t seen the o e about the shock tower braces. Those are in my future.

Unfortunately, I did t see anything that will help me gear up a few teeth and keep my motor from releasing its factory installed smoke. I’m hitting anywhere from 120° to 160°: depending on race conditions and duration. Motor timing is setfairly conservatively to about a 6 amp draw with no load. (pinion off)

thanks for the tips, in any case. ��
Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by I_NeedBigDrink
Now that I have enough posts, I figured I'd share my project.
I'm with you there brother! Need a few more just to trade
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I’ve watched a surprising number of those vids. They’re a great source of information about things that works and things that don’t. Didn’t see anything in there about cooling, however. I hadn’t seen the o e about the shock tower braces. Those are in my future.

Unfortunately, I did t see anything that will help me gear up a few teeth and keep my motor from releasing its factory installed smoke. I’m hitting anywhere from 120° to 160°: depending on race conditions and duration. Motor timing is setfairly conservatively to about a 6 amp draw with no load. (pinion off)

thanks for the tips, in any case. ��

I don't believe in the 6A draw tuning, much better to gear for temperature and the sweet spot of the motor IMO. Draw is going to depend on the efficiency of the motor, and most modern motors are very efficient. Fantom should be able to give you tips on the timing for the motor, I'd just leave it there.

For gearing, set it so that you hit max speed about 3/4 of the way down the front straight. If you get the right timing and gearing your motor should run pretty cool.

To get more speed, I'd ditch the stock slipper and put in the STRC topshaft with an AE or Avid/Schelle slipper. Maybe even a slipper eliminator. That will drop a ton of rotating mass off the drivetrain. Also clean the grease out of your bearings and oil them instead. That will reduce the drag. I'm assuming you're limited to 13.5t motors? You probably want a torque rotor in that motor rather than an RPM rotor.

Basically I think that trying to cool an over-stressed motor is the wrong way to go about it, and would look for ways to make the truck more efficient so that the motor is working at optimal gearing/timing/heat.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I suppose, as far as motor timing goes, I’m approaching this from an on-road perspective. The general theory I and many others follow is set the motor to its sweet spot, which very oddly, is around 6 amps in a lot of motors. After that, run it, check temps and gear for maximum speed. From our conversation here, I’m going to take away two things. First, the timing and temp thing does cross over from on to off road and secondly, I should consider investing in a basic motor analyzer, rather than relying on my ammeter/load tester.

Thanks for mentioning the topshaft/slipper conversion. I’d forgotten about that one. The Associated slipper is definitely lighter and more flexible than the stock 3 puck unit. I’d love to run an eliminator, but my throttle control isn’t quite there and I’d be stripping gears every run.

You’re dead on about our motor limit. When I picked up my Slash a few months ago, it was converted to a basher buggy and had the Velineon system in it. SO torquey, but just a little outside the rules. I’ve been replacing parts a few at a time to turn it into a good racing Slash. It came with the LCG conversion, so i got into the game with a decent truck.

Thanks again. I appreciate your and everyone who else’s input.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 06-11-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC
You probably want a torque rotor in that motor rather than an RPM rotor.

Basically I think that trying to cool an over-stressed motor is the wrong way to go about it, and would look for ways to make the truck more efficient so that the motor is working at optimal gearing/timing/heat.
I agree with Razor on this. If you want the motor to run cool, gear it appropriately for the track. Your motor manufacturer should have a gearing chart. Looking for top speed in off-road is not the answer. Especially with a 2wd truck. You need to have more torque than top speed.

I'm running a 3900kv motor in my slash geared 86/19 at my local track. This motor is probably similar power-wise 2 what you're running. My motor never gets above 140 degrees in 93 degree, 100% humidity type weather. Like razor said, by the time I'm three-quarters of the way down a 140 foot straight away I'm pulling Full Throttle letting off to get on the brakes to make a 90-degree left hand turn.

Gearing is the key to keeping your motor cool.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

I think you got it, I haven't bought a motor analyzer yet, but I think you can get enough info from the manufacturer, the forums, and a feel from the temp readings to figure out a good timing setting.

Good luck with the truck!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got my 7 year old kid a Slash VXL for early fathers day

jrfoell, monkeyracing and MaX-D like this.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau
Got my 7 year old kid a Slash VXL for early fathers day
Great spot you have there for bashing, it's got everything!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrfoell
Great spot you have there for bashing, it's got everything!
Yup, except ... other drivers =(

Glad I have a kid interested in RC's to bash with.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau
Yup, except ... other drivers =(

Glad I have a kid interested in RC's to bash with.
Yeah, if you've got two trucks that would be sweet. Surely there's some other peeps in the same area?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I just purchased a Mamba X and it’s coming with a 2850kv 4 pole motor. Would I be correct in guessing the gearing would be somewhere close to my 17.5t setup? I think my 13.5t gearing might be a little tall.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Shock upgrade

Hi guys

im thinking about upgrading my shocks on my 2wd slash. Obviously, I looked Prolines, traxxas GTRs, team associated SC10, Losi scte and etc... those on the SCTE looks really nice. I have an eye on them.

Do you have guys, some pictures for me of your upgraded shocks?

Other question: I read a previous post (written by RazorRC) and i was wondering with the STRC transmission top shaft and the AE slipper if I could run 32p gears ? I was not planning to change whole slipper but I was thinking about to run 32p gears.

thanks, sorry for mistakes, im from Québec !
Old 08-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Renaud21
Hi guys<br /><br />im thinking about upgrading my shocks on my 2wd slash. Obviously, I looked Prolines, traxxas GTRs, team associated SC10, Losi scte and etc... those on the SCTE looks really nice. I have an eye on them.<br /><br />Do you have guys, some pictures for me of your upgraded shocks?<br /><br />Other question: I read a previous post (written by RazorRC) and i was wondering with the STRC transmission top shaft and the AE slipper if I could run 32p gears ? I was not planning to change whole slipper but I was thinking about to run 32p gears.<br /><br />thanks, sorry for mistakes, im from Québec !
*look for tlr 22sct shocks on eBay. These are the best for the money in my opinion. Smooth as butter.*

I'm not sure about the 32p gears. I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Renaud21
Hi guys

im thinking about upgrading my shocks on my 2wd slash. Obviously, I looked Prolines, traxxas GTRs, team associated SC10, Losi scte and etc... those on the SCTE looks really nice. I have an eye on them.

Do you have guys, some pictures for me of your upgraded shocks?

Other question: I read a previous post (written by RazorRC) and i was wondering with the STRC transmission top shaft and the AE slipper if I could run 32p gears ? I was not planning to change whole slipper but I was thinking about to run 32p gears.

thanks, sorry for mistakes, im from Québec !
It seems likely. I searched for “associated, buggy and 32p” [quote]https://www.teamassociated.com/parts..._gear_54t_32p/[/
quote]
Old 08-18-2018, 02:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In my slash where I had a lot of power going through the transmission, I opted for the STRC AE topshaft, AE slipper pads, slipper hubs, spring, and nut, with a robinson racing steel spur. Add on a 32p pinion according to the motor you're running, and you're set. Plastic spurs could work with lower powered trucks but for a basher I like having the peace of mind that my gears will never strip or melt/warp.

slipper hub
slipper pad
slipper spring
spur
Pic of the setup:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.