Wiki Posts
Search

17.5 Non-Ramp... FACT vs. Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
If you think that you're gonna be competitive with whatever motor and whatever esc, you're wrong. There will be a motor that emerges as the hands down favorite. It's the nature of stock racing... it's always been, and it always will. I saw it happen when we raced brushed motors, when we all transitioned into brushless, when the SPX hit the market with its mild timing capabilities, and again when the Tekin dominated because it offered the most sophisticated ramping setup options. There is always a flavor of the week for stock racing. In fact, that's why brushed stock racing at big races often use handout motors! (But even then, people were using other springs and brushes to get that extra little bit of oomph out of them)

At the top echelon of racing, it WILL matter what motor I'm running... so i'm using this forum as a means of surveying and asking people what they've been successful with or what they've seen at their local tracks yield success. I don't have the money to buy every 17.5 out there, nor the time to go out and test each one.

Driving clean will only get you so far in stock racing... you gotta have the whole package. The guys in front will have found a couple tenths a lap, which will equate to seconds at the end of a 6 minute run.

FACT.
You race at Norcal with guys that have won numerous stock events so you should have had your answer prior to posting here......
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I gear a little lower than other guys. I'm a little slower in the first 2 minutes of the race, a little faster for the last 3. Guys were unable to clear a double on the track after about 2 minutes and thought it was because the battery was fading. It was the motor fading due to heat. I was able to take the low line and clear the jump through the whole race so it made a far bigger difference than the 2-3ft that they could pull on me on the straightaway.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

The v2 Orions(silver can) are the baddest a$$ 17.5's I have seen...they were one of THE motors to have @ SmacTrac if you wanted to be in the top 5.......we had 30-40 entries in stock buggy every week.