Search
Like Tree17Likes

Everyone is better at driving than me

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Everyone is better at driving than me

At the local track I just plain suck at driving. I consider it a VERY good day if I can get through 2 battery packs, let alone 1, without breaking something. Ill also wind up on my back atleast 3 dozen times in the course of a battery pack.

Im glad I chose an electric RC car at a nitro track, because if it weren't for that then the competition would be really steep (Sorry if Im giving electric a bad name to Nitro ppls, our rivals)

Whats the learning curve on racing an RC car? People were telling me I should enter the next race, but that was probably prior to seeing how many times I flipped and finally busted a shock really bad about 10 minutes in.

Any tips on how to become a better driver? I also seem to do worse when other cars are on the track because Im afraid Ill look like a total noob infront of the other drivers and I often do.

The only thing going for me is usually I can learn fast and vastly improve, if given time.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Practice and Finesse, good driving doesn't happen overnight.
rustler1995 likes this.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyS1985
At the local track I just plain suck at driving. I consider it a VERY good day if I can get through 2 battery packs, let alone 1, without breaking something. Ill also wind up on my back atleast 3 dozen times in the course of a battery pack.

Im glad I chose an electric RC car at a nitro track, because if it weren't for that then the competition would be really steep (Sorry if Im giving electric a bad name to Nitro ppls, our rivals)

Whats the learning curve on racing an RC car? People were telling me I should enter the next race, but that was probably prior to seeing how many times I flipped and finally busted a shock really bad about 10 minutes in.

Any tips on how to become a better driver? I also seem to do worse when other cars are on the track because Im afraid Ill look like a total noob infront of the other drivers and I often do.

The only thing going for me is usually I can learn fast and vastly improve, if given time.
Practice, practice, practice and dont worry about what anybody else thinks you look like. Everybody was a beginner once.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Are you good at video games? If so just give it some time, you'll get the hang of it. If your car is set up well then like you said, it's probably your nerves getting the best of you. It will pay HUGE dividends if you buddy up with someone who's fast and knows how to set up cars properly.

ps: Just reread your post, crashing 3 dozen times in one battery packs time is a CRAZY amount to crash in that time frame. Either you're driving way too hard or something is wrong with your car, hard to tell without seeing you drive. I would definitely seek some help from one of the local fast guys and get their input. What kind of car is it?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Someone suggested "Practice, practice practice" and Ill have to disagree with that. Some golfer dude once said, "If you keep practicing it wrong, youll perfect imperfection".

Go slow and don't crash. Don't worry about going fast, that will come with time.

Don't drag race corner to corner. When you do that youll often overshoot the upcoming turn. Instead of racing INTO the corner, practice going in slow and coming out fast while setting up for the next turn.

Carry momentum. The throttle should never be an "On and Off" switch.

Jimmy Babcock once said, "Slow is Fast"!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ffiB
Someone suggested "Practice, practice practice" and Ill have to disagree with that. Some golfer dude once said, "If you keep practicing it wrong, youll perfect imperfection".

Go slow and don't crash. Don't worry about going fast, that will come with time.

Don't drag race corner to corner. When you do that youll often overshoot the upcoming turn. Instead of racing INTO the corner, practice going in slow and coming out fast while setting up for the next turn.

Carry momentum. The throttle should never be an "On and Off" switch.

Jimmy Babcock once said, "Slow is Fast"!
You disagree and then tell him to practice?
rustyus likes this.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you are having trouble with the controls, it may do you some good to bolt on an old set of tires and drive on a parking lot somewhere to get the feel for it. I know I see a lot of new guys and gals have trouble when the car changes direction, but your point of view does not. If you feel you have decent control but you cant keep it going straight between the pipes, then it is almost always about slowing down and taking what the car and track will give you. Far too often I see people drive like champs in wide open spaces, but when it comes to the track they drive faster than their ability allows. If you slow to the point that you actually complete smooth, clean laps, it might be torture. But I guarantee within a few battery packs you will see an improvement. At my home track I am one of the best drivers, but when I go to a new track I have trouble the first few minutes. Some of the guys that have seen me race at my home track were baffled at how slowly I was driving when we got to a new track, but by the time I got half through my second pack I noticed I was running them down again. My point is it should be a smooth transition once you get going, I didnt even realize I was going that fast until I caught up to and passed a few guys. If at any point you start crashing again, which we all do occasionally, slow it back down and start over. Of course, like someone else mentioned, if your car is not put together well you will never be fast or smooth. Always take a good look at your car before each run to ensure everything is secure and trouble free.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Slow is fast. You're probably breaking parts because you're trying to clear jumps that you aren't ready to yet. I know its more fun to jump everything, but you will be much faster if you roll everything and stay consistant at first. Also, get off RCTech, and go practice!!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not sure what kind of equipment you run but slowing down is very fast, I run a big brushless motor and only ever use 1/4 throttle and just a tad more on the straight. I can go an entire pack with no crashes and I've ben driving a year..
When I started I thought full throttle was the way to get ahead but learned that it isn't the case you have to learn when to go slow and fast. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I find the best practice for a new guy is at a open lot get some cones and do figure 8's and oval in both directions left turn and right turn. practice making a nice 8 shape and a smooth oval. stand on each side of the cone track front, back and each side. do this for 5-10 packs and you will see a improvement.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with going slower.
When I first got my truck I set up cones in the back yard got used to aiming where I was driving. This was a big help. It sounds like your racing corner to corner. Um... stop that. Many times people have posted slower is better. This is true. Speed will come in due time.

I sugest the parking lot or dirt field practice first. Use cones or what ever to make a small track. Practice that untill you feel you have improved. Then go back to the track. But dont try to clear everything. Roll them at first. Get your cornering down first then jumping. Set your controler so you cant go over 60% throtle. Then increase it as you feel better. Next thing you will know your on top of the world.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Could be a ton of different things that contribute to ur problems. Most tracks have a beginner class. If yours does, dont be afraid to race in it. Make sure ur using the right tires for your track and try to talk to the fast guys that are running the same type of car as you and get their advice on setups. Slow down if your trying to go around too fast. Its faster to make it around the track slowly then ending up on your lid quickly. What kind of car are you running? I dont care how good you are, if you're trying to wheel a Stampede around the track, you're gonna end up on your lid a lot. Lastly, if there is a particulary part of the track that gives you trouble, during practice keep doing that area by cutting the track until u feel comfortable with it. Good Luck!
2026RC likes this.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its good to play along with it...
per say admit outloud to the group that you are defending last place at the races that night
or when on your second pack try to pick which part you are about to break

It helped me get over it, it took me awhile and many a-arms/servo savers to get by the constant breaking

remember slower is faster in racing
consistency instead of top speed laps is more important

i am far from a good driver, but i am somewhat decent and not breaking things, its all about having fun for me, even if i have to defend my last place finish on race night
Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mxr300ex
You disagree and then tell him to practice?
I need to work on my delivery if that's all you got out of my post.

Or, you need Q tips!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ffiB
Exactly. You have to practice with a purpose. Watch the fast guys and pay close attention to the line they drive around the track. Now go out and drive that exact line. At first you might only go about 2mph to stay on the line. As you drive it go faster and faster as long as you stick to the line. Practice things like rolling onto the throttle and not just grabbing full throttle. Just like when someone teaches you to drive a real car in the snow. They say act like there is a egg on the gas pedal. Do the same with the throttle on the controller.

Drive in a open parking lot. Get some kids sidewalk chalk and mark out a course. Then mark the line you want to drive and drive that line. Again do not worry about speed. staying on line is more important and the speed will come.

Consistency wins races. Someone may be a second a lap faster than you, but they crash three times a race costing them 3 seconds every crash. This means if you do not crash they have to drive 9 laps plus the three they crashed on just to be equal with you. So over 12 laps you are actually the same speed. If you are consistent you will actually finish better than the guy that is fast for a couple laps then makes a mistake.

Some good reading:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ght=consistent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.