Wiki Posts
Search

1s 2wd setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default 1s 2wd setup

I was wondering if anyone has tried a 1s setup for their 2wd buggys, instead of the usual 8.5 mod setup?

I am thinking about it, mainly so I can distribute the weight of my buggy 'where' I would like it.

The motor would have to be a much lower turn, say 3.5
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think that a 3.5T in a buggy on 1S would create a lot of heat, and not be practical.

Wattage (power) = Voltage times amperage, so to get the power of a 2S setup with half of the voltage, you have to draw twice the current that you would in a 2S setup.

I'm sure it's not that simple, but a 1S setup isn't practical, if it was, more people would do it.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You will need a very high C rating on the battery and will probably have a tiny pinion and a huge spur gear just to keep things in check. This means no low end power but a motor like that won't have it anyways. You are also going to lose lots of runtime.

I understand your thinking and appreciate the idea for what it is but I'm not sure how well it will work out in practice.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd stick with 2s.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A 5 cell Nimh setup was somewhat popular when brushless first hit the scene, but I have to agree that 1 cell lipo would not be enough. Maybe a better idea would be small, lower capacity packs run in parallel so you can place them in different locations.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just like the others have stated, a 2s would be your best bet. A small 2s Reedy(#625) pack or similar would be fine, and would be somewhat 'movable' to try the different weight setups.

A 1s with a 3.5 would be decent, especially on a B4.1 or similar buggy on a 'diet' or 'lightweight' setup. I think the troubles would be to much though, maybe give it a try at least.

Keep in mind, you will also need a receiver pack to power rec/transponder/etc unless your on the new LRP's with built in boosters. Also, your charge times will be threw the roof, you will be using A LOT of the mah per battery versus a 2s. Some get away with running the same 2s throughout the day, just peaking it off between heats but this would be nearly impossible with a 1s.

Again, you can give it a shot and more power to you; but it has been tried and the troubles far outweigh any gains you may be getting.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Losi created a shorty 2s pack for this reason. It's probably only a little bit of time before people start running it in other cars besides the 22.