Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Looking at 1/8 scale elec buggys...  8ightE or Hyper 9e? >

Looking at 1/8 scale elec buggys... 8ightE or Hyper 9e?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking at 1/8 scale elec buggys... 8ightE or Hyper 9e?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Looking at 1/8 scale elec buggys... 8ightE or Hyper 9e?

Got to drive a losi 8ightE last weekend and I think I need to get into the 1/8th scale game...

Locally, the 8ight is pretty popular (the nitro version....not many E's at all), so parts support, setup support, etc is all there.

I have been racing a Hyper10sc bump - and really like that truck, so naturally I looked at the hyper 9E bump..

I always read these "what should I get" threads and kinda chuckle...and here i am making one

I guess what I'm wanting to know is.....does the Hyper 9 have any major design issues? I know these 1/8th scales are pretty durable..

Anything else you'd suggest to a guy just getting into 1/8th scale electric?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

non of the above?

I'm an avid losi hater, and the hyper9 just isn't that popular, so setups are hard to find.

from what I've seen, the mugen mbx-6 E is the best out there,
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Prophet

i would, take a look at the rc8e buggy kit i know most tracks have people run them and have support also.
you could get the hyper 9 but good luck getting setup tips for it at your track.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Yea...the hyper9 would be a little more obscure. I'm familiar with that, as I run the Hyper10...lol.

Only downside to me is that the losi is standard hardware - which is pretty minimal Well...that and a new roller is close to $600.

Whit - do you not like losi for a specific reason? I personally wouldnt buy many of their 1/10 scale offerings, but the 8ight seems really solid, havent heard of many issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by GoatsnBros
Yea...the hyper9 would be a little more obscure. I'm familiar with that, as I run the Hyper10...lol.

Only downside to me is that the losi is standard hardware - which is pretty minimal Well...that and a new roller is close to $600.

Whit - do you not like losi for a specific reason? I personally wouldnt buy many of their 1/10 scale offerings, but the 8ight seems really solid, havent heard of many issues.

no ive, own the eight 1.0 buggy and truggy not the "2.0 they drive good but the drivetrain does ware kind of fast but they do drive and jump good though .

the eights arent bad though .

take a look at the rc8b man its a really good bargain no upgrades needed at all .

i was going, to get a 2.0 t but it cost to much and needs a couple of upgrades so i went with the rc8t ce $509 .

yea i dint like the standard hardware screws much.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GoatsnBros

crappy plastics/metal/standard hardware...

then again, I run an 808...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
crappy plastics/metal/standard hardware...

then again, I run an 808...

The again you have to change diff bearings every gallon. If you have a 09/10 model.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Get neither.

Caster Racing
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by whitrzac
non of the above?

I'm an avid losi hater, and the hyper9 just isn't that popular, so setups are hard to find.

from what I've seen, the mugen mbx-6 E is the best out there,
YES IT IS HAHA I JUST GOT ONE LIKE 3 WEEKS AGO AND I LOVE IT BETTER THEN MY NITRO LOL!!! if you have the $ get the MBX-6E or the losi,AE or the hyper9E what i say to ppl is its just what you have $ for and what you want to spen on parts if you need them.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by neobart
The again you have to change diff bearings every gallon. If you have a 09/10 model.
I've got 10 days on the rear bearings in my 10 808...

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Get neither.

Caster Racing
the caster is a direct copy of the MBX5
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Get the mugen eco. Youll be happy you did.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Out of the 2 you have listed I would get the Losi , my experience has been the exact opposite as whitzrac , my 8ight Te has been the most durable R/C I have ever owned .

The driveline shows VERY little wear after countless packs through it (with the exception of the front/center driveshaft) the plastics are super durable I have only ever broken 1 a arm and the top half of the servo saver (change it too aluminum and problem solved) . The RTR models are a little weak in that they dont come with all the nice go fast bits but the race roller or the new kits have all the good stuff in them .

My son ran an Xray 808 09 converted to an E and it was a good car but its expensive to maintain , parts were running at least 3-5 dollars more than the other brands . We are now running Tekno converted Hot Bodies D8's and these things are AWESOME ! One of the best handling chassis I have ever driven , very balanced and corners like its on rails .

Havent owned a Hyper 9e but have heard from others the front arms tend to break cause the inner hinge pin area is weak .
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

I've got both. Losi eight truggy and hyper 9e. Both are good. Only thing I ever broke on hyper 9 are the lower right front arm. (went through 4 of them) They always break at the same place, where the hinge pin goes through. The last arm I put on, I boiled them for a few minutes, and haven't had any issues since then. Losi truck is pretty tough and jumps really good. The hyper 9e is very light and jumps awesome as well. Get the hyper 9e and order a couple of extra front arms and you should be good to go
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
... We are now running Tekno converted Hot Bodies D8's and these things are AWESOME ! One of the best handling chassis I have ever driven , very balanced and corners like its on rails .
How long you are running D8? I see that many are buying some Mugen and other manufacturers parts for D8 Hara Edition buggies... Also heard that many parts wear quickly (CVDs, f.e.). I am about to try other manufacturer just for comparison and can not decide between HB Hara Edition with Tekno or HHH kit and Mugen Eco... Now I have Caster 1.5R Pro and I am happy with it. Can drive with it along with Mugen Eco, Hyper 9E, Losi 8e and much better drivers than me. But still would like to try something different just to compare .
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have both cars and out of the box, the 9E is a better handling car. It is also lighter. The 8ight-E is better constructed, but the front center drive shaft wears very quickly. Unless you boot the joints and grease them, plan to replace it every couple of weekends. Both cars are good, but both fall short of the Tekno V4's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.