Sidewinder sct problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewinder sct problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

will the 2s lipo make my truck go faster than the the 7 cell when it works? I am confused about the voltage thing
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Should be about the same if not better...without getting too technical, Lipo's are just better batteries than NiMh. I have seen on many occasions people have their vehicle go the same speed if not faster with 2cell lipos then with 7 cell NiMh for this reason alone.

Let's put it this way, the less dams in the river, the faster the water flows.

Lipos have less internal resistance due to fewer connections and better cells then your 7-cell (sub c-cell) packs do...these are your dams. Minimize the resistance between your battery and your motor and you should see the same if not better performance from your ESC and motor system.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok i get it. I have another question. What do the kv number mean. Is it better to have higher kv or lower kv.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

the Kv rating is the amount of RPM per volt of a particular brushless motor. in your example - 3800Kv with a 7.4V LiPo pack is able to produce 28,120 RPM.

as for your other issue:
Originally Posted by jayballs
The wierd thing is when i fully charge the 7 cell and plug it in it gives me the blinking leds but when i run the battery in another car for a minute then swap it out, the sidewinder runs great.
Your ESC might be sensing the 7-cell NiMH pack as an empty 3S LiPo pack. Default setting for my Castle Sidewinder LVC is 3.0V per cell. If you have a Castle link, switching the LVC setting is pretty easy and takes seconds. You can also set it via the "beep and select" manual method as outlined in your manual:
7 : V o lt a g e C u t o f f
Option 1 : None
Option 2: Auto-Lipo (D)*
Option 3 : 5
Option 4 : 6
Option 5 : 9
Option 6 : 12

Last edited by macavant; 05-16-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Post voltage input!

i own this system and in the Manuel it says that it can be run on a 2s lipo and 7cell nimh/nicd, but note this system can be ran on 3s lipo in lighter weight trucks but keep an eye on the temps. by the way a fully charged 2s lipo is 8.4v or higher.