Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max Pro or Tekin R5

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if down the road you want to go with a esc dont use the MMP in a 8th scale. There has been numerous heat issues and failures with people doing so. Buy a proper 1/8th esc.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Suspended

Well, I own the Mamba Max pro and have it in my t4.1 . I have had nothing but trouble as to glitching to bad sensor ports. Castle has the worst service ever. i have been waiting for a returned e mail and call for 3 months now. Knowing the bad customer service, i just went in it and soldered it myself.

I would say tekin rs
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bscopes
Well, I own the Mamba Max pro and have it in my t4.1 . I have had nothing but trouble as to glitching to bad sensor ports. Castle has the worst service ever. i have been waiting for a returned e mail and call for 3 months now. Knowing the bad customer service, i just went in it and soldered it myself.

I would say tekin rs
That sucks, I've had pretty good luck with with Castle service in the 1 interaction I had with them. I had a Sidewinder Sv2 go out on me and I sent it back in for a warranty repair and they shipped me back a brand new one a little over a week later.

I like Castle so far, but I've heard a lot of good things about Tekin so I figured I'd possibly give them a shot.

I can get the MMP for $95 and the Tekin RS is $155 at my LHS so looking at all the suggestions I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra $60 on the Tekin or not.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I ended up just pulling the trigger on the MMP.

Funny thing I open it up and find a remanfactured one in the box. It was missing the bullet connectors, huge globs of solder on the wire leads and servo tape on the switch.

Fortunately they had another one in stock and exchanged it for me...this ones brand new, as it should be.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I wonder how the Novak Havoc Pro SC would compare to the RS and the MMP.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

And thanks to everyone for your answers!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Initiate

ttt
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Castle...."Bad customer support!" Ive had nothing but the best treatment from them. They have went above and beyond for me several times Castle #1
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Castle...."Bad customer support!" Ive had nothing but the best treatment from them. They have went above and beyond for me several times Castle #1
I agree 100%, Castle is the best! Especially in a hobby where most warranties are 30 to 90 days nevermind the disclaimers, fine print, and other "conditions" that allow many manufacturers to void their "warranty" . I have 2 MMP combos and my son has 3 Sidewinder combos and we've had very few problems. I did have a receiver that didn't play nice without a glitch buster and some software issues but Castle is continuously fine tuning the firmware so that goes with the territory. They were great while troubleshooting over the phone and their suggestion to upgrade the firmware on one of the Sidewinders fixed the problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
I also agree! I think they are just about the best at customer support.
I bought a USED MMP on here for $75 and ran it for a season, it went bad (totally due to my fault). I sent it in and after $50 I had a replacement within a week. A brand new replacement! Thats good service IMHO! As far as the BEC being "weak", what are you running on it? I have ran TOP end servos on mine with zero glitching or issues. Its is either good luck on my behalf OR a good product...

BTW: I have both ESC's and both are awesome! For "tight" applications the RS is the best but if you have room the MMP is golden too!