Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo discharge ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo discharge ??

I have a lipo pack turnigy 5000 3s 35c but not sure what amp to discharge it at? Anyone?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliG
I have a lipo pack turnigy 5000 3s 35c but not sure what amp to discharge it at? Anyone?
What is your goal? If your goal is to store the pack for the week, run it, or discharge it at a low amp rate (something 10 or under, give or take), down to about 7.2-7.6 volts, and you'll be fine.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

No not to put away just bring it completely down after a run. Like yesterday I had to cut it short while I bashing and I have like half a pack
Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliG
No not to put away just bring it completely down after a run. Like yesterday I had to cut it short while I bashing and I have like half a pack
Lipo batteries need to be stored somewhere around mid charge. You should never "bring it completely down after a run". You never discharge a lipo down to it's floor voltage. They should be left somewhere near nominal, around 7.2 volts. So if you have a fully charged pack, and you run it for 10 minutes. Just unplug it from the car and you'll be fine.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Perfect gotchu I wont touch it. Lol thx a million
Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had a small 3s receiver lipo that was bad and I was going to throw in in the trash so I tried to discharge it to 0. It started to swell up like a balloon and got really really hot. I threw it in my yard in fear that it might explode.

All I ever do now is use Storage mode. Storage will balance it down to 3.8 per cell. I tried discharging packs to a safe level a few times. Say 3.2 to 3.0 per cell. I just had it in my head that I needed to discharge my packs, like I did back in the day. The problem is that the chargers will not do a balanced discharge and they discharge by total pack voltage. So discharging a pack to 6.0 volts may discharge one cell to 2v and the other one to 4v. I killed a battery that way.