R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default First electric race battery questions

Hello!

My brother and i are looking to put his 5 year old son onto a race track this spring, and we are planning to let him race his Rustler. Our track has a novice class that is mostly kids, and it is an outright blast to watch them race and crash for 5 minutes at a time. It is not competitive at all, and there are no rules, you run what you have. The last field consisted of a slash, tacon soar, modzilla mt, and some 2wd buggy, unknown model, i didnt get a look at it.

The rustler has an old brushed 17t motor (old speed gems if i remember correctly) with a quikrun esc. Currently, his biggest battery is an ONYX 3000MAH NIMH.

As abstract of a question as this may be, is this battery going to be big enough to get him through an 8 min main? The track is relatively small but technical, with no big straights to open it up(not for a novice anyway). Average lap time's for the other classes are 15-18 secs. im guessing the average novice was 30+ seconds.

I dont want dead batteries to be the reason for a DNF. Any input is appreciated.
wrenchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor View Post
Hello!

My brother and i are looking to put his 5 year old son onto a race track this spring, and we are planning to let him race his Rustler. Our track has a novice class that is mostly kids, and it is an outright blast to watch them race and crash for 5 minutes at a time. It is not competitive at all, and there are no rules, you run what you have. The last field consisted of a slash, tacon soar, modzilla mt, and some 2wd buggy, unknown model, i didnt get a look at it.

The rustler has an old brushed 17t motor (old speed gems if i remember correctly) with a quikrun esc. Currently, his biggest battery is an ONYX 3000MAH NIMH.

As abstract of a question as this may be, is this battery going to be big enough to get him through an 8 min main? The track is relatively small but technical, with no big straights to open it up(not for a novice anyway). Average lap time's for the other classes are 15-18 secs. im guessing the average novice was 30+ seconds.

I dont want dead batteries to be the reason for a DNF. Any input is appreciated.
I think a 3000 will make it. Just make sure it is fully charged before hand. You can also test it during practice before you start. Throw him out there and let him drive for 10 minutes. Car still running? then you're ok. If it's not quite making it, you could get a gensace 5000 lipo for super super cheap, and will run fine. If no lipo cutoff in the ESC, just make sure they don't run it to empty. Time it for 8 minutes even in practice, and recharge.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Or, go to somewhere like Value Hobby and pick up a 2s lipo. Then, pick up a lipo alarm (available on eBay). That will help with performance and runtime. I like Cpt. America's suggestion. Run it with the battery you have and see if it makes it through 10 minutes of simulated racing.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thank you for the input. We're going to take him to the track and let him try to get used to it as well as time the run. Im just anxious to get your guy's opinion since the soonest we can get up there is next weekend.... sooooo long! Bench racing will have to do for now
Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

should be enough ... they usually are on the roof half the time in that class......
skinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8scavengers View Post
Or, go to somewhere like Value Hobby and pick up a 2s lipo. Then, pick up a lipo alarm (available on eBay). That will help with performance and runtime. I like Cpt. America's suggestion. Run it with the battery you have and see if it makes it through 10 minutes of simulated racing.
This is my vote as well. With as cheap as lipos are getting, anyways. For as little as 35-40 bucks, it would just be a piece of mind thing. Plus they are waaaaay better performers for longer durations like that. Speed shouldn't be too much of a difference on a 17t brushed motor, I would think.
Rabidtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Will LIPO run with the current brush system he has? Thought it needed to be a lipo system and he stated he is still running brushed motor.

Brian
SUPERLOOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERLOOPER View Post
Will LIPO run with the current brush system he has? Thought it needed to be a lipo system and he stated he is still running brushed motor.

Brian
Should be just fine, the quicrun esc has a jumper to choose between lipo and nimh. If memory serves me correctly, you can run up to a 3s with a 17t motor with that esc but if course, refer to the owners manual
paintshooter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Tech Regular

We have run it on 2S before, and the speed difference was negligible, however, there is a huge difference in "punch". So much of a difference that my nephew hasnt learned how to navigate the extra power. Last time we put a LIPO in, he broke an axle in 15 seconds, no exaggeration.... Im trying not to overwhelm him and would rather him learn linear throttle and steering input before throwing more power into the equation.

If it comes down to buying a bigger battery, we will have to revisit. The Larger mah NIMH batteries get expensive quickly
Old 12-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Tech Addict

SPC Racing....great lipos and customer service for a good price
2S 40C 5000mah hard case with TRX or Dean's plug for $27.95. Many of the guys at the track where we race use SPC with good results.
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaslash View Post
SPC Racing....great lipos and customer service for a good price
2S 40C 5000mah hard case with TRX or Dean's plug for $27.95. Many of the guys at the track where we race use SPC with good results.
wow, that does seem like a great deal! thanks for the information. That valuehobby link was good as well.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I own around a dozen g force (valuehobby batteries).they have a 5000mah 25c that'll power your brushed system for better than 30 minutes a charge. Plenty power for race brushed systems.