Search
Like Tree18Likes

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hello,

i think this is one of the best threads in the whole forum buddy.

thanks a million for your time, videos and sharing all your tips. i used to think that breaking in a diff isnt important. i used to rebuild my diff and few packs later, they got gritty and not really the way i like em,

last time i rebuilt it, i thought what the heck, let me try your method and to be honest, i ran the buggy for 20-25 packs maybe and the diff still feels smooth!!!!

thanks again

Ali
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

You're too kind...I was just trying to help others in our hobby out...

Thanks, Racer53
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Your radio isn`t the problem , Savox servos are notorious for being power hungry and the internal BEC on most 1/10 ESCs cut out . Get a Novak or Racer`s Edge glitch buster and plug it into an empty spot on your receiver . That will fix the cutting out .
Sorry to thread jack but....

I already had a Novak Glitch Buster and it didn't work and or help. Even ran 2 at the same time, the whole truck would lose power.

It helped as soon as I switched to a local's M11.....

@Racer53: I still don't understand why they decided to put a plastic shield instead of rubber. But I will replace that one bearing when I get to it.

Thanks for all your help...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
Let me know what you guys think...

Racer53
top notch as usual :-)

might I suggest an edited version ?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

only made out of respect to your efforts and time spend educating noobies like me

might I ask how a good mesh between pinion & spur sounds like? I read that people adjust them by the noise they make?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmke

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

only made out of respect to your efforts and time spend educating noobies like me

might I ask how a good mesh between pinion & spur sounds like? I read that people adjust them by the noise they make?
+1000 for this,

I am new to this hobby and you helped me identify that I had a slipping diff, going to get that opened up and tighten the diff up.

Thank you so much for doing this.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Nice, I like it...I might look at re-doing it sometime and adding a couple of sounds, like a properly set mesh or a mesh that's too tight...

Having to start school so it might be a little while...
+1000 for this,

I am new to this hobby and you helped me identify that I had a slipping diff, going to get that opened up and tighten the diff up.

Thank you so much for doing this.
Thanks...

Good Luck guys, Racer53
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Managed to get this done today...

NEW VIDEO FROM RACER53: "GEAR MESH 101"

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks! excellent tips and helps me a lot;!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Anytime...
Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just how tight should the diff be?

I just rebuilt the diff in my X6 and followed the instructions (except I used Gorilla Snawt, I can't see this being the problem?), when it came time to setup the slipper, I couldn't really do it.

Going by the instructions the slipper should be tight enough to lift the front end aproximately 3 inches correct?

I can pretty much lock the slipper and it still will not lift the front end.
I tightened down the diff more and more, now to the point that it takes quite a bit of force to turn the wheels (when holding the opposite and spur) and yet it still manages to slip.

Last edited by Shimmy; 08-26-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Hmmm...

Alright theres a couple things I can think of...

First thought that comes to my mind, is what version of the slipper assembly are you using...1 or 2...I had the same problem with the version 1, when I switched to version 2 I only had to tighten it down about half way to get the front end lift I wanted....

Second thought would be that the X6 is a mid motored buggy and you might not get the same lift you would a rear motor buggy...I have no expirience with mid motored, so you might check in the x-Factory thread...

I wish it was as easy to just tell you how many times to tighten the diff, but they all vary a little...

Good Luck, Racer53
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the reply.

It's just a long spring, no washer or anything, so I assume it must be V1.

It didn't dawn on me that being mid motor, it might not be able to lift the front as easy.

Just re-read what I wrote before though, not sure if it was clear what I was trying to say.
It is the diff that is slipping.

I put a little white out marker on the slipper plate to make sure and it is definitely the diff that's slipping.

EDIT:
I think I have it sorted, I re-watched the videos and noticed you said to not have a polish like surface on the rings, I had a slight polish on them, I just re-sanded them with 260 grit sandpaper and the diff now doesn't slip like before.
Would the spring have much effect on how and when the diff slips? (as in, after it has been tightened up).

I only just got the X6 and is my first ball diff.

Last edited by Shimmy; 08-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply.

It's just a long spring, no washer or anything, so I assume it must be V1.

It didn't dawn on me that being mid motor, it might not be able to lift the front as easy.

Just re-read what I wrote before though, not sure if it was clear what I was trying to say.
It is the diff that is slipping.

I put a little white out marker on the slipper plate to make sure and it is definitely the diff that's slipping.

EDIT:
I think I have it sorted, I re-watched the videos and noticed you said to not have a polish like surface on the rings, I had a slight polish on them, I just re-sanded them with 260 grit sandpaper and the diff now doesn't slip like before.
Would the spring have much effect on how and when the diff slips? (as in, after it has been tightened up).

I only just got the X6 and is my first ball diff.
Alright that's probably the version 1 slipper assembly, definately would go with the version 2...

Anyway, you asked if the spring had any effect on how and when the diff slips...Are you reffering to the slipper spring or the diff spring???

The X6 is a great car and once we get the diff problems solved you'll really like the way it handles...

Racer53
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I'll grab the v2 bits on my next parts order.

I am referring to the diff spring.

Yeah, I just had it out on Sunday racing it and it felt pretty good, just a few little things to change and it would be perfect.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

The spring has some effect, but it's not a tuning tool...The first time you compress it, you're pretty much done with it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.