Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

When adjusting the slipper in say a larger vehicle like the sc10, how much should the front lift? I'm having a hard time gauging if the slipper is too tight or loose watching the front end rise.
You could set it at the factory team setting[3 1/2 turns from when nut is flush with bolt], and then get out on the track and see how it feels...Set it on the straight and gun it, ideally you're looking for it to slip for a foot or so...

Good Luck, Racer53
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53
You could set it at the factory team setting[3 1/2 turns from when nut is flush with bolt], and then get out on the track and see how it feels...Set it on the straight and gun it, ideally you're looking for it to slip for a foot or so...

Good Luck, Racer53
So, does the slipper bench test not really work for short course trucks?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
In my opinion the "bench test" doesn`t work at all period . You need to adjust the slipper to track conditions as your setting will vary depending on traction personal preference . If your track has as much traction as holding your wheels on a bench then it can work
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Awesome tutorial. I've been using gear diffs for a few years and this week will be my first experience with a ball diff. This video has explained quite a bit and now I feel more confident about racing with a ball diff.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

That's not what I meant...If it where me I would try the "hold both tires and gun it method"...now if that doesn't work, or your having to tighten your slipper down all the way, I would try the factory team setting and see how it does on the track...The method in my paper and videos will work fine, on an SCT I would look for the same 2-3 inches the front tires come up...

Good Luck, Racer53
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Awesome tutorial. I've been using gear diffs for a few years and this week will be my first experience with a ball diff. This video has explained quite a bit and now I feel more confident about racing with a ball diff.

Keep up the good work!
Thank you...

Good Luck, Racer53
Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Do you guys set your slipper the same way between buggy, ST, and SC? Seems like there should be a difference because of different lengths and weights of the vehicles.

I've always set my slipper by "feel." I'd set it it flush then drive around the track and adjust from there.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
Do you guys set your slipper the same way between buggy, ST, and SC? Seems like there should be a difference because of different lengths and weights of the vehicles.

I've always set my slipper by "feel." I'd set it it flush then drive around the track and adjust from there.
I use it for both buggy and SCT. I feel that it's gets you pretty close to where you need it to be. Some on track final adjusting may be needed. I say it works for both buggy and SCT because it's sort of self adjusting for the vehicle, a buggy being shorter and lighter needs a looser slipper. The slipper setting on a SCT is going to be much tighter to get the same 2 inches of lift than it will be for a buggy. Both lift the same but the slippers are set different. I adjust my slipper VERY little if at all from the 2 inch bench method on my med grip track.

Not the best way to explain it but you should get my point.

Last edited by racer1812; 05-18-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: missed a couple words..
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

I use it for both buggy and SCT. I feel that it's gets you pretty close to where you need it be. Some on track final adjusting may be needed. I say it works for both buggy and SCT because it's sort of self adjusting for the vehicle, a buggy being shorter and lighter needs a looser slipper. The slipper setting on a SCT is going much tighter to get the same 2 inches of lift than it will be for a buggy. Both lift the same but the slippers are set different. I adjust my slipper VERY little if at all from the 2 inch bench method on my med grip track.

Not the best way to explain it but you should get my point.
Beat me to it...Excellant explanation

Racer53
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Great video. Thanks for doing this. Glad it's a sticky.

By the way, sanded my slipper pads and they turned the color of the 500 grit sandpaper. Motor spray didn't seem to do a thing. Problem?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Great video. Thanks for doing this. Glad it's a sticky.

By the way, sanded my slipper pads and they turned the color of the 500 grit sandpaper. Motor spray didn't seem to do a thing. Problem?
Thank you...

I haven't had that problem before, as you saw in the video mine came clean...what type of sandpaper and what type of slipper pads where you using???

Just a thought, you could always scrape them with an X-acto knife...

Good Luck, Racer53
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They were AE slipper pads which I had to run for a 17.5 non-ramping class because Kyosho doesn't make a spur gear smaller than 76t. I borrowed the sandpaper from the guy next to me so I don't remember what brand it was. I usually use 3M.

Regardless, I'll be switching back to 13.5 and the Kyosho pads now so I should be good-to-go.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

They were AE slipper pads which I had to run for a 17.5 non-ramping class because Kyosho doesn't make a spur gear smaller than 76t. I borrowed the sandpaper from the guy next to me so I don't remember what brand it was. I usually use 3M.

Regardless, I'll be switching back to 13.5 and the Kyosho pads now so I should be good-to-go.

Thanks for your help.
All-right...Good luck, Racer53
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

An FYI on thrust balls, I'm sure B-Fast makes them but I've seen guys use the carbide DIFF balls from the RC18 vehicles as thrust balls in the 1/10th AE stuff.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Very nice that you got the videos up, this is what i will do to my diff! Thanks alot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.