Wiki Posts
Search

RC observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RC observation

RC is a veritable cornucopia of technical nightmares. I don't think any manufacturer has any idea of what the others are doing. You don't discover that until you try to assemble their components and find out things just don't quite line up. Holes are in the wrong place etc. Or is this just me? I've been a professional mechanic for almost 30 years and this amazes me. Case in point. Traxxas Slash. STRC LCG kit. FLM aluminum trans and control arms which make your very expensive and hard to find metal axles too short. 3 sets later and I have success. Novak motor cooling fins with fan which when installed makes the rear bumper a little interesting to clear. I'm not sure but I think it's easier to tamp wet noodles in a wild cat's butt. Oh, let's not forget when you turn it on "transmitter on first of course" and it suddenly accelerates on your bench turning your various screws, nuts, bolts and sharp cutty instruments into high speed shrapnel aimed at both eyes and throat. So, you have a decision to make. Save your own life, or save the truck which you have something close to the national debt invested in. I'm thinking they can dig the shrapnel out at the hospital. I live near a military base. Reaching for the truck which is of course lipo powered and under something close to full throttle planted firmly against the wall arbitrarily looking for things to send my way at "Ballistic" Velociti's I realize that if I get my fingers in the wrong place I may have other pain issues. I grab the bumper and with my free hand search for the switch I know I put there somewhere shut it off after what seems like an hour but in reality was seconds. I am now looking for very little hard to come by thingies in my carpet. Some sharp pointed. I'm bare footed. I wonder.......

Just my observation.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

wow. sounds like a bad day. we've all been there once. the underlying issue is that it's too much fun to put down. your wallet, your barefeet, and apparently your sanity would thank you, but you won't. Neither would i. it is what it is. we all have to learn lessons the hard way sometimes.... like: turn your radio on first when u turn your vehicle on. fellow rc'ers will thank you for learning this lesson at your house instead of at the pits during a race day while they are pitted beside you.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rgraham
RC is a veritable cornucopia of technical nightmares. I don't think any manufacturer has any idea of what the others are doing. You don't discover that until you try to assemble their components and find out things just don't quite line up. Holes are in the wrong place etc. Or is this just me? I've been a professional mechanic for almost 30 years and this amazes me. Case in point. Traxxas Slash. STRC LCG kit. FLM aluminum trans and control arms which make your very expensive and hard to find metal axles too short. 3 sets later and I have success. Novak motor cooling fins with fan which when installed makes the rear bumper a little interesting to clear. I'm not sure but I think it's easier to tamp wet noodles in a wild cat's butt. Oh, let's not forget when you turn it on "transmitter on first of course" and it suddenly accelerates on your bench turning your various screws, nuts, bolts and sharp cutty instruments into high speed shrapnel aimed at both eyes and throat. So, you have a decision to make. Save your own life, or save the truck which you have something close to the national debt invested in. I'm thinking they can dig the shrapnel out at the hospital. I live near a military base. Reaching for the truck which is of course lipo powered and under something close to full throttle planted firmly against the wall arbitrarily looking for things to send my way at "Ballistic" Velociti's I realize that if I get my fingers in the wrong place I may have other pain issues. I grab the bumper and with my free hand search for the switch I know I put there somewhere shut it off after what seems like an hour but in reality was seconds. I am now looking for very little hard to come by thingies in my carpet. Some sharp pointed. I'm bare footed. I wonder.......

Just my observation.
That's why there are forum like this one or even the larger Traxxas forum if you need advise about parts or how to solve an issue. And you need to remember that electriconic wise. Also all can be used in every vehicle. I can take a motor from my T4 and use it in my slash. So it becomes a challange with making 1 component fit all vehicles without modification. I would expect dropping a lst v8 into my Saturn without any modification. And about your radio issue. If you did what the manual suggested you should never have a run away. I never had a runaway with any of my vehicles. You should always check your radio settings before turning the vehicle on.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Everyone has R/C nightmare stories. Mine involves my Baja5b and my son and what remains of his ankle.....he only walks with a slight limp now....LOL
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Everyone has R/C nightmare stories. Mine involves my Baja5b and my son and what remains of his ankle.....he only walks with a slight limp now....LOL
Probably looked like an incoming himar. Fast, low and on target.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rc10t3b4
That's why there are forum like this one or even the larger Traxxas forum if you need advise about parts or how to solve an issue. And you need to remember that electriconic wise. Also all can be used in every vehicle. I can take a motor from my T4 and use it in my slash. So it becomes a challange with making 1 component fit all vehicles without modification. I would expect dropping a lst v8 into my Saturn without any modification. And about your radio issue. If you did what the manual suggested you should never have a run away. I never had a runaway with any of my vehicles. You should always check your radio settings before turning the vehicle on.
If you've never had anything go horribly wrong, you are probably next in line. No one can do something forever without having a very expensive/painful mistake. It's a given.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its called a learning curve chief. Hopefully you can learn from your mistakes.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Come back in in a few years after some experience under your belt, and you will laugh at this thread
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I always say.....its not a hobby until you have to make something fit thats not supposed to. Until then its just playing with toys cars. Nothing wrong with playing with toy cars, I do it all the time, but I also value the hobby side of it and enjoy making the car or truck my own and accomplishing things not everyone can do. A far as runaways, I have seen rare occasions where faulty electronics can cause it, but 99 out of 100 times it is user error in some way.