Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helion Animus 18SC ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

And parts support will be fine...everything will be available through the Hobbytown store that you purchased the Animus through. Batteries and motors are pretty standard so getting a hop up version should not be an issue if you so desire.

Like I mentioned above, I did test a lipo in my Animus but if you choose to do this you have to remember that there is no lipo cutoff built in to this esc/rec/servo combo so you must be very careful not to run the battery dead.

A line of hop ups for it is a consideration but you have to remember that this is supposed to be an entry level vehicle for the first timer or something for the guy that has the "race" stuff and just wants something inexpensive to throw down in the backyard or driveway. We never intended it to be a vehicle to throw in hop ups that cost more than the initial purchase price of the truck! LOL. But who knows, with enough requests we may offer a few things ....
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I purchased one, they are a great value, but nothing over the top.... It is more stable Then the sc18 but has terrible torque steer issues in the upper rpm range of the stock motor. could not imagine the drive would get any better with the upgraded motor & battery.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
I purchased one, they are a great value, but nothing over the top.... It is more stable Then the sc18 but has terrible torque steer issues in the upper rpm range of the stock motor. could not imagine the drive would get any better with the upgraded motor & battery.
Actually, torque steer generally only happens when you accelerate from a stop when you apply power. Once you are moving no torque is really being applied so torque steer would be next to non-existent. Also, torque steer generally isnt very noticeable on a 4wd vehicle..its usually more prominent on a front drive only vehicle.

The Animus is actually very sensitive to steering input at speed. It doesnt take much to make it turn and that will make it a bit twitchy. You can try and go to a thicker shock oil in the front and that should help slow the reaction of the truck down some if you feel the need.

Having said that, I have not noticed any torque steer issues with any of the ones I've tested and beat on
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

The battery and charger included?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
The battery and charger included?
Yes, it comes with an 1100 mah, 6 cell nimh and a wall charger. For quicker charge times I would recommend to use your quick charger.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

These are pretty cool cars.I work at he hobbytown in tampa,fl. and we just got a huge ship ment of them,all the parts,and a store demo.We have been beating on it real good and no broken parts so far.And we jump it about 4 feet and lands flat everytime unlike my sc18 which blew out all of the shocks which got old really quick.It jumps straight off jumps,not nose heavy or ass heavy.I say its great for your kid starting out or something around the office or house for you to play with.No to bad for 100$.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kman16jr
These are pretty cool cars.I work at he hobbytown in tampa,fl. and we just got a huge ship ment of them,all the parts,and a store demo.We have been beating on it real good and no broken parts so far.And we jump it about 4 feet and lands flat everytime unlike my sc18 which blew out all of the shocks which got old really quick.It jumps straight off jumps,not nose heavy or ass heavy.I say its great for your kid starting out or something around the office or house for you to play with.No to bad for 100$.
Good to hear kman!! I do the same with my truck....it takes a good beating!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Would soeone be able to post detailed pictures of the Animus without the body on?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd go sc18 or rc18t2/b2 kit. Or even the original rc18 before buying this. There are so many mods for the associated cars it makes this thing look like a truck you would buy at walmart IMO.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Well, here's a video of a modded SC18 against a stock Animus...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVBB...eature=related

Apparently not a lot of people know some of the people that are behind the Helion RC brand of vehicles so here is a link... http://www.modelretailer.com/en/The%...lettelosi.aspx

Looks can be deceiving, the Animus is a very durable vehicle and a far cry from anything you can buy at Walmart Gil Jr and Jason Corl both were involved in the design stages of this vehicle and the testing of the final product.

Another video of the Animus in action by a Hobbytown USA customer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AqD51qe_BA&NR=1
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm considering this for my son as his first 'real' R/C vehicle. Can throttle and steering limits be set/adjusted??
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I bought a Helion Animus 18sc and it was good until is sucked and broke!

So first one I bought had a bad esc so the motor didn't run. Took it back a few hours later.

Second one lasted 5 runs over 2.5 days and then the motor burnt out. I wasn't even running it hard.

It was cheap and when it worked it was fun.

In all I regret buying it and would just spend a few extra bucks to get a TA one!!!

Hoping they will allow me to get a replacement.

FYI the 1750mah battery doesnt fit and the manual says NO lipo batteries!!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by magicman32
I'm considering this for my son as his first 'real' R/C vehicle. Can throttle and steering limits be set/adjusted??
No you cannot limit throttle but you can reduce steering respose.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default What about leftys

Can you bind the truck to different transmitters? Like my Spektrum with left hand drive?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sac45310
So first one I bought had a bad esc so the motor didn't run. Took it back a few hours later.

Second one lasted 5 runs over 2.5 days and then the motor burnt out. I wasn't even running it hard.

It was cheap and when it worked it was fun.

In all I regret buying it and would just spend a few extra bucks to get a TA one!!!

Hoping they will allow me to get a replacement.

FYI the 1750mah battery doesnt fit and the manual says NO lipo batteries!!
Just for everyones information, we have sent a replacement motor to this customer. Every once in a while you're going to get a bum deal, unfortunately its happened to him twice in just a couple of days.

Also, no where do we say that a 1750 mah battery will fit in this truck. I've tested a 2000mah LIPO (which is a no name sample with out any shrink wrap or cover) in the truck and it fit. But anything beyond the 1600 mah battery we recommend as a hop up replacement is up the end user to check specs and make sure that it will fit appropriately. And yes, we do NOT recommend a lipo as the stock ESC/receiver does NOT have lipo cutoff circuitry built in to protect it from running the pack to low and damaging it.

Last edited by HelionRC; 06-24-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.