Wiki Posts
Search

4x4 SCT Clay Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up 4x4 SCT Clay Tires?

Hey folks, new to Short Course Trucks, but not to RC. I run a FT B4.1 at a local indoor clay track.

I just picked up a 4wd SCT and I'm looking for some advice on what tires/compound folks are running.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run at OCRC which is a high bite clay track and I use Gold compound JConcepts Barcodes. I'm currently using the stock foam that they come with, but I'm really curious to try out the AKA Red foams with the Barcodes. I've also run the AKA Wishbones but didn't like them nearly as much as the Barcodes. You can also try out the Suburbs 2.0 in the MC compound. I know some people that have run them, they liked them, but still came back to the Barcodes because even though the tread is nearly identical, they just didn't feel the same.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ive had good luck with AKA Wishbones (super soft) and also HB Megabites (pink) as well. I typically use the AKA foams and they run great.

Chris
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

SK gave some good suggestions, but the best thing to do would be to ask the fast guys in that class that run at your track what they use.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I run at OCRC which is a high bite clay track and I use Gold compound JConcepts Barcodes. I'm currently using the stock foam that they come with, but I'm really curious to try out the AKA Red foams with the Barcodes. I've also run the AKA Wishbones but didn't like them nearly as much as the Barcodes. You can also try out the Suburbs 2.0 in the MC compound. I know some people that have run them, they liked them, but still came back to the Barcodes because even though the tread is nearly identical, they just didn't feel the same.
+1 totally agree with everything
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Team Tekin

I ran the AKA Wishbones and Panther Switch SCs, both worked pretty well. This was at IRCR last year and the more the track wore in, the better the tires worked as they wore towards slicks.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome folks!! Thanks for the great info! As I run Barcodes currently on my Buggy I'll try these first. :-)

I know the whole idea about "saucing" is a very hot topic, but what are the thoughts on SCT 4x4's ? Any different from 2wd Buggies?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Hotbodies pink beams! Those are awesome!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like AKA wishbones super soft for indoor clay.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

In my Hyper 10SC, Jammin SCRT10 and Losi SCTE in leisure hours here in Joliet, IL which is a high bite usually sticky clay track.....The main tires I've tried have been bow-ties in M3, AKA Wishbones, Gold Barcodes, the new Suburb 2.0's and Clay compound Panther Switch 2.0's!

So far the barcodes, suburb 2.0's and panther switch 2.0's are all awsome.....on any day any of these tires they are awesome....if it's wet the Wishbones are unstoppable.....

I would get a set of wishbones and either suburb 2.0 in clay compound / or panther switch 2.0 in clay....that way your covered in wed/medium and dryer situations.

Jason
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

AKA Wishbones, soft or super soft.

They're so good their almost like cheating!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dgee
AKA Wishbones, soft or super soft.

They're so good their almost like cheating!
Originally Posted by havatitan
I like AKA wishbones super soft for indoor clay.
EVERYONE says that, I got a set and they sucked! Am I the only one who thought that?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
EVERYONE says that, I got a set and they sucked! Am I the only one who thought that?
I wouldn't say they suck. When I ran them, I did feel like they weren't as consistent as the Barcodes. I felt like I didn't know how they were going handle from turn to turn, on some turns they'd oversteer, then on other turns they'd understeer. I just never got the feeling of knowing what they were going to do. Each turn was surprise. The forward bite on the other hand was very good. I was running super soft in the rear and soft in the front which was suggested to me for our track. But I got tired of not knowing how to drive my truck from turn to turn. The Barcodes have just as good forward bite and are WAYYY more consistent in the turns every where on the track. Wow, after re-reading my post before hitting submit, I guess I agree with you afterall But seriously, they're 10 fold better than the stock tires, but not nearly as good as the Barcodes, at least for our track.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I wouldn't say they suck. When I ran them, I did feel like they weren't as consistent as the Barcodes. I felt like I didn't know how they were going handle from turn to turn, on some turns they'd oversteer, then on other turns they'd understeer. I just never got the feeling of knowing what they were going to do. Each turn was surprise. The forward bite on the other hand was very good. I was running super soft in the rear and soft in the front which was suggested to me for our track. But I got tired of not knowing how to drive my truck from turn to turn. The Barcodes have just as good forward bite and are WAYYY more consistent in the turns every where on the track. Wow, after re-reading my post before hitting submit, I guess I agree with you afterall But seriously, they're 10 fold better than the stock tires, but not nearly as good as the Barcodes, at least for our track.
+1 on this. Barcodes are dialed, especially the Golds on clay tracks. To save you some money, don't bother getting the red AKA foams for your Barcodes- they simply aren't wide enough to fill out the tire. For a softer foam try the new ProLine CCs or some Trinity Bomb One firms. I also like Panther Switches in the clay compound (AKA reds fit them perfect) and some slicks for a super hooked up track- I used Switches for my slicks.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

i like panther switches. they last a good while and get great grip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.