Wiki Posts
Search

AKA red foam for 1/10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default AKA red foam for 1/10?

I was hoping for some advice on how people are making the red AKA cc inserts fit in 1/10 rear tires. If you have pictures too that would be great. Hopefully this isn't such a secret that noone will respond! Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I took mine and put them inside the tire. Then mounted the tire on the rim. And then I was done.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

most of the people running them are testing them as they are sponsored by AKA. I cant wait to see how they hold up against prolines closed cell.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)

wasnt aware they were special order or only available to team guys or anything, I just ordered a set and installed em.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qwkrn U
wasnt aware they were special order or only available to team guys or anything, I just ordered a set and installed em.
sorry, I was referring to 2 wheel buggy.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Cut the foam at a 45 deg angle across instead of straight across. Wrap the foam around the wheel and mark where the foam meets. Cut the corresponding mark at the same 45 deg angle and glue back together with CA glue. Do a little at a time, let dry and install into your tires like normal.
Attached Thumbnails AKA red foam for 1/10?-foam.jpg   AKA red foam for 1/10?-foam1.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hopsing
Cut the foam at a 45 deg angle across instead of straight across. Wrap the foam around the wheel and mark where the foam meets. Cut the corresponding mark at the same 45 deg angle and glue back together with CA glue. Do a little at a time, let dry and install into your tires like normal.
I used to do this with the JConcepts 1/8th CC foams before they made the ones for 1/10th.. I didn't do the 45 degree angle.. Just a clean horizontal cut.. It's personal preference. **TIP** only glue the bottom half of the foam with CA (the half closest to the rim) to avoid having hard spots.. Go easy on the CA . You only need a few drops.. CA is used to BOND not bridge an air gap like regular glue
Old 04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on previous posts. Watched JT try this combo out and will be interested in what they actually decide to produce for the AKA 10th scale tires.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TailsNeon556
I used to do this with the JConcepts 1/8th CC foams before they made the ones for 1/10th.. I didn't do the 45 degree angle.. Just a clean horizontal cut.. It's personal preference. **TIP** only glue the bottom half of the foam with CA (the half closest to the rim) to avoid having hard spots.. Go easy on the CA . You only need a few drops.. CA is used to BOND not bridge an air gap like regular glue
I like the 45 degree cuts.....it gives more surface area that is bonded and if you do glue to the edge like I do, the hard spot isnt one hard line straight across. You actually feel the hard spot less, which by the way in my experience so far, doesnt stay very long once you've run it. If you use the CA sparingly, the hard spot is very minute and it goes away quickly after the first run. At least it has for me the way I do it and with the glue I use (AKA of course)

I've found that they are a little stiffer than the PL closed cell and require a little more break in time than the PL as well. So far, they have worked for me, but to be fair, I havent tried either the PL or JC closed cell foam.....yet

And yes, AKA is working on 1/10 foam...I havent seen or felt any prototypes yet but I expect to very soon
Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the non smart a$$ replies! Didn't start off very well but got what I was after towards the end. My lhs fast guy also recommended some sort of a spray adhesive to avoid the hard spot from ca glue. That was my main concern as well as getting them cut just right, especially with the grooves on the inside of the red foams. I figured you'd have to get the cut in the correct spot to try to have a good pattern on the grooves.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Babygrand48
Thanks for the non smart a$$ replies! Didn't start off very well but got what I was after towards the end. My lhs fast guy also recommended some sort of a spray adhesive to avoid the hard spot from ca glue. That was my main concern as well as getting them cut just right, especially with the grooves on the inside of the red foams. I figured you'd have to get the cut in the correct spot to try to have a good pattern on the grooves.
I've never had an issue with the hard spot from the glue. Like I said, in my experience the hard spot goes away after a run which the foam needs to break in anyways. They get better after several runs, which is why I like to run them, then pull them out and use them when I mount up new tires. I have a few sets made up now that are broken in and they work good for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

the 1/10th scale red foam will be the only thing to buy when it hits shelves.. not only is it 100x more consistent in size and feel its lasting longer than both the proline and jc foams
Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hopsing
I've never had an issue with the hard spot from the glue. Like I said, in my experience the hard spot goes away after a run which the foam needs to break in anyways. They get better after several runs, which is why I like to run them, then pull them out and use them when I mount up new tires. I have a few sets made up now that are broken in and they work good for me.
Thanks Steve, may have to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Andrew Swanson
the 1/10th scale red foam will be the only thing to buy when it hits shelves.. not only is it 100x more consistent in size and feel its lasting longer than both the proline and jc foams
I think like most, I can't wait for them to be released. Just trying to make something work while I wait.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Both ways mentioned here work great i go straight across just cause its easier.. also to soften up the foam a bit take an exacto and cut into the groove a bit! makes them perfect stiffness (dont have to on the 10th scale ones)
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Babygrand48
3m adhesive GLUE ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.