Wiki Posts
Search

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Battery question

Hey guys, i recently bought a venom battery pack about two months ago. It came with battery extensions(Traxxas, Deans, etc) for the connectors. My traxxas extension broke and now my truck turns off when it crashes. Can i cut the connectors and solder in new traxxas connectors? Can i use these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSDB9&P=FR? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Yes...

You clearly missed the point... I am not exactly sure what all you were trying to imply, but I am not going to feed the machine so have a great evening and appreciate the corrections.

Those should work just fine. I know it is a obvious, but be careful when soldering the new connector on as one quick short can kill a lipo pack. I did it once myself getting in a hurry.

I prefer deans plugs myself, if you are installing a new connector it might be a good time to make the switch, but it would not be necessary as the Traxxas plugs are pretty good as well.

Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Sure you can replace the plug.
Just be sure to cut the wires one at a time, don't short the battery out.

I just replaced one of those Venom universal connectors. Wanting to keep the wires original length and not cut them, I attempted to de-solder the venom universal connector.
I tried to press/pull the metal pins out of the plastic connector but they were locked in good, and I didn't have a tool to remove them. So after looking at it a while I got the wire cutters out and just cut the plastic venom connector in a couple pieces then I could pull the pins out. Then I went to work with the iron.. easy stuff although the venom solder seemed like it took quite a bit of heat to melt. I used a 60watt iron with the dial to the max.

I was actually working on one of the removable battery cables for the roar style hard packs, if your working with live wires be extra extra careful. Especially if your going to cut the venom connector like I did. You could easily short by putting the metal cutters across the two pins, cut one out and tape it up to the side and then get the other out is what I would do. I am not responsible for advice if you blow yourself up! heh
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks guys, one more question. Whats the difference between the deans and the traxxas connectors? Does the deans increase the power or so? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I Wheelie A LOT
Thanks guys, one more question. Whats the difference between the deans and the traxxas connectors? Does the deans increase the power or so? Thanks!
I wouldn't say there will be a noticeable power increase, but in my experience they are THE most reliable connector I and quite a few others have ever used..And they are used by most racers, so if you ever have an issue at the track-help will be more readily available..assuming that you race...