Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on gear ratios for Traxxas brushless

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Question on gear ratios for Traxxas brushless

I am new to RC. I recently purchased the Traxxas Rustler with a brushed motor. I have been doing some research and have purchased the Velineon 3500 brushless motor and VXL-3s ESC. I am going to be purchasing 3S 20 to 30c 5000 to 7000mHa range Lipo batteries. Not sure yet will have to check cost. I have read up them and watched vids and I am ware of the risks and maintenance of the Lipos.

I would like to know what pinion and spur gears to get. I would like two sets one of speed on flat ground and one for bashing. I have anaconda tires for flats and the stock tires for bashing (will be looking at replacing them soon though)
I have the stock 23 and 28 pinion gears with 86 spur gear that came with the bruched set up. I have seen many variables such as 21/86 23/86 19/83 19/86. Would appreciate any help. I understand heat is a factor. I am look at getting the additional ESC fan as well as a heat sink for the motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by cyah22RCRacer; 04-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

By a few different gear combo's , anyone of those combo's is going to be crazy fast for that car running a 3s lipo. I would buy a few different spurs and pinions and see what you like best. Just watch your temps on that motor...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

!9/90 is a good starting point.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info.

From these posts and other messages I've received looks like I'm going to get 76 and 83 spur gear and play around with several pinion gears. Will keep an eye on the temps as to not burn up my motor.