Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course News - Travis Coyne

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Default Short Course News - Travis Coyne

Did anyone notice that Travis Coyne is now rocking a Ford Rapter body on his 1:1 4x4 race truck? Is this a case were RC Racing influences full scale racing? The truck looked pretty good with that body on it.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The Raptor is a real model made by Ford and full size Sc has always had bodies that were exaggerated versions of the production trucks. Im sure that the molds have been in the works for quite some time but they are much more time consumimg to make than an rc body mold.

In short I would say no, but it is cool that rc and full size sc are looking more alike now days. Its about time too- I was jonesing for real looking rc cars back when I was a kid growing up at the full size races. I do think that the cross promotion between the two is equally if not even more beneficial to full size sc racing. I have talked to many people at the rc races who checked out the Lucas and/or TORC series because they bought a Slash or SC10. Heck I remember the first time the old SODA series was on TV in 1990 and how big of a deal it was, but the growth never really exploded until the last few years.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonny5
The Raptor is a real model made by Ford and full size Sc has always had bodies that were exaggerated versions of the production trucks. Im sure that the molds have been in the works for quite some time but they are much more time consumimg to make than an rc body mold.

In short I would say no, but it is cool that rc and full size sc are looking more alike now days. Its about time too- I was jonesing for real looking rc cars back when I was a kid growing up at the full size races. I do think that the cross promotion between the two is equally if not even more beneficial to full size sc racing. I have talked to many people at the rc races who checked out the Lucas and/or TORC series because they bought a Slash or SC10. Heck I remember the first time the old SODA series was on TV in 1990 and how big of a deal it was, but the growth never really exploded until the last few years.
Yeah I am aware of the Rapter for sure and the effort to mold the body. I am surprised it took more than a year to get the new designs onto race trucks.

I also agree with you 100% about the fact that R/C is helping the full scale racing a lot. Traxxas and Associated have really done a great job connecting their products to the consumers and vice versus. Other companies like Jammin have sponsored Supercross riders but the Lucas Oil and TORC series are the pinnicle today.

I personally was racing SODA back in 1982 with my Dad. It was much more grass roots before Walker Evans and others elevated it to the National world and finally on Television.

I do like the realistic look of the Short Course RC vehicles and hope this will continue!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Can you post some pics of the body? I would like to see it. Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly

I do like the realistic look of the Short Course RC vehicles and hope this will continue!
I do to. But, I think the majority of rc peeps aren't catching on. I see more airbrushed bodies than stickered up mini me's with simple paint jobs.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
Yeah I am aware of the Rapter for sure and the effort to mold the body. I am surprised it took more than a year to get the new designs onto race trucks.

I also agree with you 100% about the fact that R/C is helping the full scale racing a lot. Traxxas and Associated have really done a great job connecting their products to the consumers and vice versus. Other companies like Jammin have sponsored Supercross riders but the Lucas Oil and TORC series are the pinnicle today.

I personally was racing SODA back in 1982 with my Dad. It was much more grass roots before Walker Evans and others elevated it to the National world and finally on Television.

I remember Walker coming out for the first time too. And Robby Gordon. Crandon is till an epic event but it used to seem otherworldly back then. Miss those days...

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
I do to. But, I think the majority of rc peeps aren't catching on. I see more airbrushed bodies than stickered up mini me's with simple paint jobs.
Agreed, but the important thing is not necessarily the replica bodies but rather the hieghtened awareness of the sport as a whole. Either way it has helped both sports considerably.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt @ Pro-Line
I looked many places and could not find any photos. I watch the race on Speed or was it ESPN?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Looks like Deegan is using a Rapter body as well.

http://www.lucasoiloffroad.com/image...A_3996_800.jpg

The Coyne paint looked better than the Black!!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt @ Pro-Line
I would say that the Proline version of the Rapter is the closest to what I am seeing.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Here is the truck at the Ontario Convention Center. 4 Wheel Parts is having a Truck show this weekend. June 18 & 19 2011