Search
Like Tree2Likes

OFNA Nexx 10sc Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Depends on what you want it for. I've got a SCRT10 (similar to the Nexx 10SC) and it is one of my favorite street bashers. I'm thinking of setting up another one for an oval class our track runs. I wouldn't use one for racing off-road but that's because I have an SCTE that I think is better. But for $100 I would say it is hard to go wrong.
Thanks for the response, you comparing it with the scte 1.0 or 3.0? Also how tough is the driveline on these trucks? Can they handle 3s geared conservatively?
Old 06-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony14
Thanks for the response, you comparing it with the scte 1.0 or 3.0? Also how tough is the driveline on these trucks? Can they handle 3s geared conservatively?
I've got SCTE 2 and SCTE 3 and I think each is a better off-road race car than the Nexx 10SC/SCRT10.

I've never tried 3S in one of the OFNA cars. I had a SCTE 1.0 that I ran on 3S with both a Castle 2400KV motor and a Tekin 2700KV T8i, basically geared to go the same speed as other guys running 4000+ KV motors on 2S.

What I see as an issue with the OFNA trucks is that the cross-pins in the dog-bones are only 2MM diameter and they wear faster than the 3MM dog-bone/driveshaft pins that the SCTE uses. There are tools available to replace the worn 3MM pins and they can actually be replaced with a vise and other stuff without buying tools. They are big and sturdy enough you can press them out even when partially worn. I haven't had such luck trying to replace the 2MM pins in the OFNA dog-bones.

Not sure whet "conservative 3S gearing" would be for you, but I'd be concerned about long term dog-bone drive pin wear and also drive cup wear. Then again, the replacement bones aren't that expensive, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
I've got SCTE 2 and SCTE 3 and I think each is a better off-road race car than the Nexx 10SC/SCRT10.

I've never tried 3S in one of the OFNA cars. I had a SCTE 1.0 that I ran on 3S with both a Castle 2400KV motor and a Tekin 2700KV T8i, basically geared to go the same speed as other guys running 4000+ KV motors on 2S.

What I see as an issue with the OFNA trucks is that the cross-pins in the dog-bones are only 2MM diameter and they wear faster than the 3MM dog-bone/driveshaft pins that the SCTE uses. There are tools available to replace the worn 3MM pins and they can actually be replaced with a vise and other stuff without buying tools. They are big and sturdy enough you can press them out even when partially worn. I haven't had such luck trying to replace the 2MM pins in the OFNA dog-bones.

Not sure whet "conservative 3S gearing" would be for you, but I'd be concerned about long term dog-bone drive pin wear and also drive cup wear. Then again, the replacement bones aren't that expensive, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Great thanks! That was the response I was looking for. My only experience has been the traxxas slash in scts. Since the option is very cheap and I'm never going to race professionally or at club level, I'm going to try the nexx and see what it has to offer.