Wiki Posts
Search

Ballstud and rod end questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
dumb ? but what is IIRC, I see it all the time but don't know. I have a guess but....
If I remember correctly

Originally Posted by racer1812
Which would be why they run a black one on the servo..

Where did you get this info, I never knew this...?..

Running onroad You see it in the AE TC setups, they are mainly utilized in the front c-hubs to get the outside of the camber link higher w/o having to put in shims, which brings me to...

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie
That might be the only reason i guess?

Still if you need them to stick out more, the ballstud washers can do the trick.
They do it so you can have a taller ballstud w/o having to put in shims and have less threads in the plastic, which is important in something like a c-hub
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
I wasnt trying to be rude about it, hopefully it didnt come across that way. after looking close at the pics I can see the difference between the stud height above the shoulder. Was the black and silver simply to make it easier to tell them apart?

Nick
No, it's cool, I wasn't thinking outside the "box" enough.

Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie
That might be the only reason i guess?

Still if you need them to stick out more, the ballstud washers can do the trick.

I know some of the older ones are steel as i was looking at my old 10T the other day and can see some rust on them and the camber links/tie rods.

For a second there i was thinking the black ones could also be coated brass as ive seen some of those before in other kits. But if they state aluminum, i guess thats what they are
I'ld guess steel also on those but remember that even SS will rust given enough time, extremely high grade SS might not but you won't find that in a ball stud for cost reasons. just saying

After our history lesson we have all learned that you can have silver BS in either SS or aluminium, steel too? Or BS in black, steel or aluminium. With the black ones having a taller shoulder hight, no matter which material they are. Sound right?

I'll add this to my library of useless knowledge, I have to have soemthing to wow people at the track, my driving usually doesn't
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
Whats the difference on the AE ball studs between the silver ones and the black ones? Both are aluminum as far as I can tell.

Second question. Is there any reason I cant drill a small hole in the rod end to be able to put an allen wrench in the end of the ball stud? It would be nice to be able to change shims without stretching the end from constant removal and installation.

Nick
If your using metric ballstuds tq has ballcups available with the hole already in them . Just thought i would let ya know

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Ball-End-Set-7