Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HELP! If my tems are high on my motor, would i need to go up turns or down turns? >

HELP! If my tems are high on my motor, would i need to go up turns or down turns?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! If my tems are high on my motor, would i need to go up turns or down turns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

when you free roll the car, any binding?

How are you setting your gear mesh? Do you see any wobble in the spur gear area. If you have a tweaked shaft , could be kicking the gear mesh around binding it up.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

How are you setting your gear mesh? Do you see any wobble in the spur gear area. If you have a tweaked shaft , could be kicking the gear mesh around binding it up.
I always have set mesh a bit on the loose side, no binding, it rolls just fine...
Its nearing the end of the indoor season anyways, so I will be fine till next year, will get a new truck at the end of summer... Then I may revisit this at that time?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are you running alot of drag brake? If so that causes alot of heat.. You are geared on the conservitive side...So there is no reason you should be seeing those high of temps unless something is wrong.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derry
Are you running alot of drag brake? If so that causes alot of heat.. You are geared on the conservitive side...So there is no reason you should be seeing those high of temps unless something is wrong.
I know... Last year with my last truck I ran like a 25 or a 26 pinion on it and it was maybe mid 130's... This truck dont like me... Its for sale btw!
No drag brake, that I can think of...

I actually thought of putting a fan over the motor, kinda like the Losi XXXt-CR style... That worked on my T4...
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

one other thing, have you tried a different ESC? curious if something maybe is going on with the ESC itself.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I know... Last year with my last truck I ran like a 25 or a 26 pinion on it and it was maybe mid 130's... This truck dont like me... Its for sale btw!
No drag brake, that I can think of...

I actually thought of putting a fan over the motor, kinda like the Losi XXXt-CR style... That worked on my T4...
You have a completely different problem than this guy. He is running a 4wd truck that is heavier. It need more motor to remedy the problem.

RCPilot disregard all the 13.5/17.5 talk. Your truck is a total different class.

I race with a few people that run stock 17.5 RT5 trucks and have no heat issues. If you are having issues with heat there is something wrong with your truck or you are too hard on the throttle. this truck is really light and shouldnt put any strain on either motor. An easy way to find were you should be at is use the search function in the RT5 forum. It works wonders.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KainK
You have a completely different problem than this guy. He is running a 4wd truck that is heavier. It need more motor to remedy the problem.

RCPilot disregard all the 13.5/17.5 talk. Your truck is a total different class.
Thank you! Everyone else, I just needed some help with what motor for the short term (this weekend). So run with the 8 turn it is.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

At this point heck with speed, you'll have to gear down to save the motor, & maybe re-learn some driving techniques...
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Muggydude
You're new to this, aren't you?
Aren't you = Are not you. Like we are not going there. Aint we get to go dar, over dem dar hills. I didn't get it either but what ?

Urka Durka duu.......He toook my Jobb
Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpilotjr
Im not really new... racing for 5 years but it's been nitro. Now as for my setup
Hyper 10SC
Turnigy 5200 2S lipo
Comes with an 11 tooth mod 1 pinion
just for something to show the folks this weekend, im either puttin a 8 turn, 21 turn, or 27 tun brushed in it. Since i wont be able to get gears or my brushless until after the weekend, which motor should i run? And whats really gonna be put in it afterwards is a 5700kv brushless from dynamite.
Brushed motors run hotter than bl, epecially an 8 turn, better keep an eye on it lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattleegee
Yeah try the gearing

Hot motor= overgeared
Hot ESC= undergeared

(this means you need to gear down. start by dropping 2 teeth on your pinion)
Originally Posted by Cain

Originally Posted by Derry
Check for binding

As for gearing I've had it go both ways before... Way too undergeared and overheats the motor... Way too overgeared and overheats the motor... You want the sweet spot... If still no luck, time for a new motor

Edit: speedo temp didn't change regardless of gearing in my case with SXX
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manshoon
Aren't you = Are not you. Like we are not going there. Aint we get to go dar, over dem dar hills. I didn't get it either but what ?

Urka Durka duu.......He toook my Jobb
What???
Old 03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-Rek07
What???
I was poking fun at the " You are New Here Aren't you " It's a South Park thing, the Durka Durka Duu

Token would get it........