Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Has your wife complained about the $ spent on Rc yet ? >

Has your wife complained about the $ spent on Rc yet ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your wife complained about the $ spent on Rc yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
What I find amusing is that a lot of you guys think that just because she's cool with your hobby as a girlfriend (tolerates it) that she will be as a wife..

Reality check coming soon!
Sometimes you get lucky. My wife was cool when we where dating and when we got married and bought our first house the one room was setup for me and my hobby. She would even go to the shop to buy me something if I didn't have time. I'm lucky in that respect I never had to hide or explain why I spend so much on R/C. I can race when ever I want til as late as I want and never a question about it. The only thing I have to do is spend some time with my wife when not racing. Its a good trade off and never been a problem. As long as we have the money its a non issue.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REDLINE R/C
My gf races with me. Loves it. Here's some quotes...

"teach me how to work on the car... I want to learn"

"i really just want to beat people.."

"i need to practice more.. i like getting faster."

"lets go to xxxxx to race.. i want to go "

" i can't wait for the nationals in california.. that's gonna be fun"

ME- " i have about 900 in this car.."

her- "well you're really committed and serious. I think it's awesome that you're so passionate about something."

Pick woman wisely boys.. Life's short.
Yep!! I knew my wife was a keeper when she still dated me after finding out that have been racing toy cars for 20 yrs!!But for those who have women that just dont "get it"- you say "fine, I will give up RC and take up fishing..I will need 10k for a decent boat,then another 5k for gear, then another thousand for fishing and boat/trailer liscenses, which BTW need to be purchased every year."....I bet after hearing that it will cost you around 20k to get started in fishing all of a sudden racing toy cars wont seem so bad to the wives....Not to mention racing is a great family oriented activity.The little ones learn mechanical skills,and how important maintaining things in life really is.Its a great tool to teach them that you cant always win, but if you put the time in and practice, you WILL improve.And in todays world of the "hitting the reset button" attitude in kids this is an important lesson.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The money isnt an issue for me either, it's just the time spent away. Usually I was able to get away for wed and fri night races each week, but now we're 12 weeks pregnant and my life it already starting to take a huge turn.

Hoping for a boy and getting him into the hobby with me!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Red face

Yeah, it all started when we were dating... I came home with a new SC10 rtr, first week they came in. And she said "how much money do you have in your bank account". That statement was almost a deal breaker for me. I thought, why is the chick asking me about my finances, screw this. I left it alone. 4 years down the road of dating I married her, my collection was large by then.

Prior to the wedding I sold my RDX, B4, and Tekin RS pro (worst choice). But was really critical, since I had to pay for some of the wedding, moving costs and majority income (she's a sub-teacher). Since then I got a raise at work, bought a photon and alot of Durangos (aint cheap). She has threatened to throw the cars off the 3rd story balcony if i continue my spending. But all I have to do then is give her attention and make some sacrifice. It seems that my situation is different though since I cant budget due to her sub job, I never know how much she will bring in. Some months are great and she doesn't get on me, others are bad.

Great thread, good advice.

MY favorite line: I can always smoke and drink!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GaRsNoW
The money isnt an issue for me either, it's just the time spent away. Usually I was able to get away for wed and fri night races each week, but now we're 12 weeks pregnant and my life it already starting to take a huge turn.

Hoping for a boy and getting him into the hobby with me!
lol, I've got THREE girls, and they all want a SC truck of their own!! Grant you, mine are all outdoor oriented gals, we've been hiking/camping since they were old enough to go, they've all got their own 4 wheeler or dirtbike, and we've got horses, so maybe all that helps, but my girls are loving it. Hell, my oldest (she's 14) is already talking about working this summer so she can buy a Losi and a good kit so she can run with me... sad thing is, kid will probably SMOKE my butt ;p

Brad
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My wife doesn't have access to the rc dedicated credit card, so she has no clue, blissful ignorance...
Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

She has questioned all of the small packages that the mail man delivers. It was UPS for the full size race cars, now it is for the 1/10 & 1/5.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Rule #1) Everything cost less than $25, no matter what it is when asked.

Rule #2) When buying new kit, make sure you are home first to get the big box. Get the car built asap or close to being built.

Rule #3) If the wife gets the big box before you do and questions what you spent, simply reply you sold some old stuff on Ebay to pay for it. Don't bring up, you sold something for $25 shipped but the kit cost $500. Alternatively, you can mention you bought it months ago but it was on back order and you are just getting it now.

Rule #4) Paint all your cars a similar color. Most women don't know the difference between a 1/10 buggy, 1/8 buggy, truggy or Short Course. She won't notice you have more than one or two cars.

Rule #5) The cost of tires, spares at the track, entry fees, and food are not to be included in the monthly RC budget. Nor do soldering stations, setup stations, pit mats, Hudy Tool Sets, Pit lights, and all the ancillary items necessary to have a well run RC Pit Table.

Rule #6) Every now and then just send her some flowers at the office or watch Real Housewives with her before hiding out in your man cave to wrench.

Rule #7) Get your own credit card!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bdechenzio
lol, I've got THREE girls, and they all want a SC truck of their own!! Grant you, mine are all outdoor oriented gals, we've been hiking/camping since they were old enough to go, they've all got their own 4 wheeler or dirtbike, and we've got horses, so maybe all that helps, but my girls are loving it. Hell, my oldest (she's 14) is already talking about working this summer so she can buy a Losi and a good kit so she can run with me... sad thing is, kid will probably SMOKE my butt ;p

Brad
Yeah , be preparred for them to smoke you...My oldest started racing at 7..by 10 was hanging with the big guys...and by 12 was a regional champion in stock truck...Used to have to wait for him, now i have to drive my nuts off just to keep up with him some days
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Rule #1) Everything cost less than $25, no matter what it is when asked.

Rule #2) When buying new kit, make sure you are home first to get the big box. Get the car built asap or close to being built.

Rule #3) If the wife gets the big box before you do and questions what you spent, simply reply you sold some old stuff on Ebay to pay for it. Don't bring up, you sold something for $25 shipped but the kit cost $500. Alternatively, you can mention you bought it months ago but it was on back order and you are just getting it now.

Rule #4) Paint all your cars a similar color. Most women don't know the difference between a 1/10 buggy, 1/8 buggy, truggy or Short Course. She won't notice you have more than one or two cars.

Rule #5) The cost of tires, spares at the track, entry fees, and food are not to be included in the monthly RC budget. Nor do soldering stations, setup stations, pit mats, Hudy Tool Sets, Pit lights, and all the ancillary items necessary to have a well run RC Pit Table.

Rule #6) Every now and then just send her some flowers at the office or watch Real Housewives with her before hiding out in your man cave to wrench.

Rule #7) Get your own credit card!
#4 is VERY true...My wife has no idea what I have and proves it by asking 'which one is thst one???' about cars she has seen probally a dozen times,LOL.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Favorite so far "I sold Item X on ebay so I used that money to buy new kit!" I've actually used that one before!

Biggest thing is that the wife gets her time in with me otherwise she's not a happy camper. The actual cost she could care less about.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cutwo
Favorite so far "I sold Item X on ebay so I used that money to buy new kit!" I've actually used that one before!

Biggest thing is that the wife gets her time in with me otherwise she's not a happy camper. The actual cost she could care less about.
Yeah, my wife really doesn't trip out really about what I spend on the hobby, but she definitely hates that I spend all day at the track for racing on the weekend. I wish race days were shorter.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I guess I am a lucky one, my wife tells me time and time again this is a good hobby ... there are far more expensive things you could be doing that would keep you out much longer. She hits the LHS about once a week for me on her way home from work they no her more so then me there lol. My 7 year old daughter wants to start racing this coming summer so I was allowed to build a micro track over the pool table (can be broken down and stored under the bed) in the living room so she can practice, even got the wife driving on it. (Sad thing is the 7 year old with 3 packs on the micro t can make it around just as good as me lol).

My wife has her own car collection with a E-Maxx and Rustler (if I put a baja bug body on it she falls in love lol). I include her in lots of rc related things ... she picks out the paint colors and schemes for all my bodies

She also loves to travel so all I have to do is toss a couple days on either end of a out of town race and im golden

My rules:

1) Dont hide money it will bite you in the butt later
2) Dont hide money she will find out
3) Be honest about it, most women understand there are lots of other vices that cost more.
4) Include her, dont talk down to her when she has a question

Its a great family hobby include them
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

Good advice..Honesty is the best policy
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

My wife is pretty good about it.
Coming from racing Sportbikes and MX on quads. This is way cheaper and no ER room bills. lol . So she is A ok with this stuff lol. She sometimes make fun of me for playing with RC car but whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.