Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basher buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Basher buggy

I just got my son a slash4x4 for Xmas,( I had to change out the rear bearing support and bearing) I'm running it with lipo batteries so yea Ive already gotten the charger and the adapters as well.
Anyway he wants me to get a car to run with him, plus Ive had fun with the Hobie as well.
What I'm looking for is a buggy that is in the same class as the Traxxas, as far as durability and parts support. The car will be used on a home track ( I have a space in the yard thats 250' x 300' ) plus it will go to the desert for more open runs, sand and small rocks are a problem so it has to be able to handle this. I really like to modify stuff and don't see this as a negative.
Please make some suggestions.I've read a lot and it seems like theres race buggy's and bashers, any that can be used for a little of both?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by catrepair
I just got my son a slash4x4 for Xmas,( I had to change out the rear bearing support and bearing) I'm running it with lipo batteries so yea Ive already gotten the charger and the adapters as well.
Anyway he wants me to get a car to run with him, plus Ive had fun with the Hobie as well.
What I'm looking for is a buggy that is in the same class as the Traxxas, as far as durability and parts support. The car will be used on a home track ( I have a space in the yard thats 250' x 300' ) plus it will go to the desert for more open runs, sand and small rocks are a problem so it has to be able to handle this. I really like to modify stuff and don't see this as a negative.
Please make some suggestions.I've read a lot and it seems like theres race buggy's and bashers, any that can be used for a little of both?
Thanks
You might want to consider the HPI Vorza RTR. It's an 1/8th scale buggy, but it's still pretty close in size to the Slash. I hear they are pretty durable and it's a great value for the price.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a losi eight e, i usually just race but i like to see how far i can jump it sometimes, and i am very impressed with how much abuse it actually takes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Stampede 4x4
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by n9netn9ne
I have a losi eight e, i usually just race but i like to see how far i can jump it sometimes, and i am very impressed with how much abuse it actually takes
The cost of this one is scary to me
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Why not another slash 4x4? Then you only need to keep spare parts around for 1 car. Also being able to bump and grind while racing is fun. I think a buggy would just get tangled up.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

My old RC8Be was strictly a basher. It's never been disabled and was bashed at full throttle jump after jump(only 35mph). I got a VE8 and bashed that too, broke the rear hub thew first day I ran it but it ran and handled real well. Check out the hyper 7 too.

Don't get a vorza.

If your looknig at buggies compare the manuals to see how they are built. I like Screws that go into bolts not plastic.

I now am going to build a CRT .5 Brushles for my basher.

All I do it bash.
Slash 4X4 was fun to bash too.

BTW: Sand = No good unless you want to clean everything.
Water and sand is a big no no even the slash 4x4 I bashed i submerged it... had to take it all apart and clean it everytime kinda got old.

RC8Be or Hyper 7 and I have heard tons of good things on the Losi 8 and have seen how beefy they are.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mulepic
Why not another slash 4x4? Then you only need to keep spare parts around for 1 car. Also being able to bump and grind while racing is fun. I think a buggy would just get tangled up.
this. if you insist on a buggy, slap a 1/8 buggy body and a wing on it and call it a backslash. they're fun.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In my opinion, almost any name brand 1/8 e buggy is gonna be durable. They do require regular maintanence for them to run in tip top shape, but should be as durable , if not more so than a slash 4x4. They have a solid drivetrain components, and the plastic spurs last a vey longh time with the proper gear mesh.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mulepic
I just wanted something different, I was wondering about the open wheel racing thing too, ( I'd just have to beat my son right)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check out www.casterracingusa.com they are extremely durable and it is a very fun buggy. I would recomend the EX1.5r Pro and your own electronics but the RTR is good too. There are some of the Team drivers running the RTR ESC with no failures at all. You will not be dissappointed.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
You might want to consider the HPI Vorza RTR. It's an 1/8th scale buggy, but it's still pretty close in size to the Slash. I hear they are pretty durable and it's a great value for the price.
+10 for the vorza, durable as heck and faster than any rtr out there.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
In my opinion, almost any name brand 1/8 e buggy is gonna be durable. They do require regular maintanence for them to run in tip top shape, but should be as durable , if not more so than a slash 4x4. They have a solid drivetrain components, and the plastic spurs last a vey longh time with the proper gear mesh.
10th scale stuff doesn't even come close to a quality 8th scale kit.

My Slash 4x4 broke all the time, and this RC8BE is a tank.

As mentioned, for durability, any of the top name brand 8th scale buggies will be durable and make a great basher. A cheaper alternative that is RTR is the HPI Vorza.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yeah, i have an RC8E converted to a RC8BE, and it has been very durable. I have bashed and raced it for a year now and have only broken 2 parts. I absolutly love it.

What is your budget? I think knowing how much your can or will spend, will help with our suggestions. Its better to buy right the first time. Believe me
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Yeah, i have an RC8E converted to a RC8BE, and it has been very durable. I have bashed and raced it for a year now and have only broken 2 parts. I absolutly love it.

What is your budget? I think knowing how much your can or will spend, will help with our suggestions. Its better to buy right the first time. Believe me
well, the slash with the parts that I've needed so far has run around 600.00
I have a problem with the upper shock mount stripping out, so now it still isnt right, The way the drive line is covered in the slashes is a problem in the desert as well.
So my answer on the money part is around 500.00 to 600.00 to start, not including batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.