Wiki Posts
Search

SC10 Factory Team Spur Gear Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default SC10 Factory Team Spur Gear Issue

I just finished assembly on my new SC10 Factory team and noticed that I have about .150" run out in the spur gear as it rotates. The inboard slipper hub actually contacts one of the transmission to motor plate bolts that sticks through a few thousandths. I figured I must have assembled the slipper wrong but I double and triple checked everything and it is assembled correctly.

To make a long story short, I've tentatively concluded that the slipper spring is the culprit. When I go to tighten it down, the washer between the spring and the slipper nut has the same run out. The nut itself does not have the run out. I also confirmed that the spur gear itself wasn't deformed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I on track with my thought that it's the spring? I even tried tightening the slipper tighter than it should be thinking that the run out would go away as the spring was compressed but that didn't do it either.

A new spring isn't expensive but I was looking for other opinions before I order parts.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I don't see how the spring would cause run out. There has to be a problem somewhere else. Double check the amount of play the slipper plates have on the top shaft, there should be none, the plates should not be able to wobble on the top shaft. Most likely the slipper plate center bore or the top shaft are out of tolerance. When you tighten everything down any excess play could cause the plates and gear to have the run out you see.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If I have just the inboard plate installed, and have it seated on the transmission, there isn't any run out or play.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 27Ducati
I just finished assembly on my new SC10 Factory team and noticed that I have about .150" run out in the spur gear as it rotates. The inboard slipper hub actually contacts one of the transmission to motor plate bolts that sticks through a few thousandths. I figured I must have assembled the slipper wrong but I double and triple checked everything and it is assembled correctly.

To make a long story short, I've tentatively concluded that the slipper spring is the culprit. When I go to tighten it down, the washer between the spring and the slipper nut has the same run out. The nut itself does not have the run out. I also confirmed that the spur gear itself wasn't deformed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I on track with my thought that it's the spring? I even tried tightening the slipper tighter than it should be thinking that the run out would go away as the spring was compressed but that didn't do it either.

A new spring isn't expensive but I was looking for other opinions before I order parts.

Thanks
Yes i have seen this.

I think the runout problem is partially the spring and a hit or miss spur gear.

My sc10 doesnt like larger spurs than 78 for some reason... I get horrible gear runout and that noise!

A little different with my buggy, the gear moved side to side due to the way the spring seated itself. I flipped it over and luckily it went away...

But yes i have seen problems with the spur/slipper area...