Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE Plastics Wear Out Quickly? Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hahahahah, wild cherry literally has you covered by a good 20 years. i miss my v2 shocks, so easy to use. very very smooth.

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
Uhm, how can you even assemble them incorrectly? There's no issue with the design, it's the o-rings being harder and a larger internal diameter that is the issue. I've been running these cars for 4 years now, rebuilding the shocks every other week with no leakage ever until these new darker red seals showed up. When the team drivers acknowledge that they aren't as good as what used to be available, you know that there's a legitimate problem.

The first time I used them, I figured maybe there was something up so I swapped them out and now I'm on set #7 with no improvement. Like I said - my shocks had ZERO issues with the older orange o-rings for years and now I get bupkis. As soon as the K-team releases their cars with the big bores in the kit, I'm probably going to switch brands.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmatter
They have issues with the differentials. Poor fitment of the bearings if you are lucky enough to get the bearing in the outdrive dont count on getting it back out...For some reason the diff bolts are breaking alot more lately, when they break the inside of the bolt looks like pot metal.
More like you have these issues, untill a hundered people post the same thing I'm going with the idea that you got a couple crappy parts, sorry to single you out but threads like this are a dime a dozen and can be found for every brand out there. Sh%t happens and yes it sucks but lets all move on...
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX
hahahahah, wild cherry literally has you covered by a good 20 years. i miss my v2 shocks, so easy to use. very very smooth.
Seeing as how up until a year ago the shock design hadn't changed in 20 years, I'm having trouble seeing why that is such an impressive fact. Sounds like we are on even ground to me. Toss in 3 more years of selling their (and other companies') product full time and I'd say I have enough background to make an accurate conclusion.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
Seeing as how up until a year ago the shock design hadn't changed in 20 years, I'm having trouble seeing why that is such an impressive fact. Sounds like we are on even ground to me. Toss in 3 more years of selling their (and other companies') product full time and I'd say I have enough background to make an accurate conclusion.

*You have all this experience and yet your
V2 shocks are leaking ...

Also the Ae O-ring still is the best for performance & fit on Ae V2 shocks....

Those blue MIP you mention were the worst for performance , still are. They were the incorrect size and fit way to tight causing blinding on Ae shocks ...

Dmatter

If you recently purchased a new diff kit ( AE #9853) ...

I have found myself the rings included in these kits need to be sanded with 320 sandpaper first before you assemble ..

Or ?

You can buy a separate set of rings (7666) these rings should prove to be smoother and deliver the performance you expect ...

* just ribbin yeah ...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 02-14-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most blown shocks are caused from driving errors and bad crashes, I have found that a severe impact on any 1/10 shock can cause blowby of fluid thru the o-rings, just wipe off the fluid and refill it. 9 times out of 10 the o-rings are still fine. If the impact is to severe the oil has to exit out the weakest link being the o rings. It's simple. Learn to land jumps on the down hill, your shocks will rarely need rebuilt!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wish I could blame it on that, but I had 3 clean heats and won the main so the truck stayed clean all day. I did refill them for the main (rather than rebuilding them - hate doing that at the track) and the truck stayed consistent enough for the main, but they were still pushing oil profusely. They were the old style shocks, but even previously I never had issues with them leaking.

I'm going to try to "work in" the new seals before building the shocks next time to see if I can get them to soften up at all. It's gotten to the point where I'm reusing my oil now because it's not even getting dirty at all before rebuilding and having to rebuild 3 sets of shocks per week gets kind of costly for as much fluid as I've been going through.

Anyway - back to the original topic - as I've continued to run my new ".1-ified" b4, there isn't really any more slop developing other than what occurred in the first few runs. It's staying nice and consistent and, well, that's what counts most in this kind of racing as long as you can keep the speed up to go along with it.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
More like you have these issues, untill a hundered people post the same thing I'm going with the idea that you got a couple crappy parts, sorry to single you out but threads like this are a dime a dozen and can be found for every brand out there. Sh%t happens and yes it sucks but lets all move on...
There are SIX people at CRCRC In Columbus OH that have had diff screws break now. Two of the drivers were guys who made the A main at the Winter Midwest race. These people certainly must not know how to build and maintain an RC-10. Fast guys like us do in fact know that Sh%t happens and we do move on but if we don't let people know what is failing, Team Associated may never feel that they need to fix failures with their kits. Before you post again, let me invite you to come to CRCRC and meet/race with us, and I bet you don't pick on dmatters posts again! I'm not kidding, come and meet some real RC-10 veterans.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by bshack
Fast guys like us........