sc10 weird noise? help ! >

sc10 weird noise? help !

sc10 weird noise? help !

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default sc10 weird noise? help !

Hey everyone,
I just got a brand new team associated sc10 (awesome truck) and I went ahead and got the castle creations sct combo. After putting in the motor, I noticed some weird noise coming from the rear end of the truck. When the truck is on the ground and you gently push it with your feet it makes a crackling sound as if the engine is being resisted in some way. After that initial push, everything seems to be smooth again. I had noticed when putting on the pinion that the engine shaft end did not spin smoothly. Anyways, is this something I should be concerned about, or is it normal? If my explanation was like "wth?" I can always post a video!

Thanks,
mo
Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ketchup4life View Post
Hey everyone,
I just got a brand new team associated sc10 (awesome truck) and I went ahead and got the castle creations sct combo. After putting in the motor, I noticed some weird noise coming from the rear end of the truck. When the truck is on the ground and you gently push it with your feet it makes a crackling sound as if the engine is being resisted in some way. After that initial push, everything seems to be smooth again. I had noticed when putting on the pinion that the engine shaft end did not spin smoothly. Anyways, is this something I should be concerned about, or is it normal? If my explanation was like "wth?" I can always post a video!

Thanks,
mo
is this a factory team truck? or is it ball diff equipped?

if so, its the ball diff slipping.

otherwise, its cogging, turn the start power low, or upgrade your batteries..

the resistance while spinning the motor shaft is perfectly normal, its a 4 pole motor.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its the rtr brushless version, and the motor/esc are band new as well as the truck. Also it is using brand new Reedy 2s 5000mah battery. I forgot to mention, this is not when the motor/esc is on. It is when it is just off and I roll it slowly across my desk it will click click click to turn the rear whels, but if I push a little harder everything is fine and smooth. I guess I will look into the diff's and see if there is anything wrong there.

Is there anyone else out there that this motor esc combo in their sc10 and have this weird resistance when pushing the truck at slow speeds!?!?

Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
mo
Chuck up a quick vid of what you're talking about. A brand new truck shouldn't have any problems with its diff.

If you're talking about the truck not wanting to roll forward like a nitro with a clutch system then that's perfectly normal as you're using direct drive (i.e. pinion).
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You are hearing the high power magnets in motor cogging the spur and pinion. The rtr motor isnt as strong as your castle so you wouldn't have heard it then. Just make sure you gave proper gap/mesh setting on gears and you are fine.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^^^^^^^^^^ That is what I was going to say. Make sure your gear mesh is properly adjusted.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ohhhh huh that makes sense, just took a closer look at it with the motor cap off and it is the pinion moving in fragments. Cool, thought something was wrong with my truck! Learned something new!

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it!
-mo
Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no problem. We're here to help
Old 01-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ohhhh huh that makes sense, just took a closer look at it with the motor cap off and it is the pinion moving in fragments. Cool, thought something was wrong with my truck! Learned something new!

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it!
-mo
No problem...I did the exact same thing when I went from RTR to Murfdogg.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

I was seeming to have the same issue.. On the stand everything sounded and looked fine.. On the ground it would hitch and make wierd noise.. Until i remembered to attach the sensor wire from the motor to esc.. All is well in mudville!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the gear diffed SC10 was notorious for stripping the diff gears if they were not shimmed correctly. It very well could be that sound you are hearing.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Its the rtr brushless version, and the motor/esc are band new as well as the truck. Also it is using brand new Reedy 2s 5000mah battery. I forgot to mention, this is not when the motor/esc is on. It is when it is just off and I roll it slowly across my desk it will click click click to turn the rear whels, but if I push a little harder everything is fine and smooth. I guess I will look into the diff's and see if there is anything wrong there.

Is there anyone else out there that this motor esc combo in their sc10 and have this weird resistance when pushing the truck at slow speeds!?!?

Thanks again!
Its the Castle 4 pole motor, it doesn't spin freely it feels notchy. Mine does the same in my xxx, I first thought I set the gear mesh to tight until I turned the motor all by itself.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+1 on the Castle 4 Pole Motor feeling notchy, on mine if I just hand push it a little faster it smooths out. I was worried at first but it still does the same thing after several months of racing.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Its the motor

I have a Castle MMM 2200kv and a SC 2400kv. In my opinon of what I know it's just how castle motors are. Both mine spin hard even without the pinion attached our the motor hooked up. If thats what it is your talking about. Nothing to worry about if thats the case. Gratz on the sc10 as well. I actually just ordered a FT SC10 today.... with a Castle MMP 5700kv. Add another to the list.