Wiki Posts
Search

what electric off road truck should i get

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sstumpf
ya so is duratrax pretty much crap i was liking the cheaper brands like duratraxx and redcat. what is wrong with those are the extreamly slow
No, Duratrax is not. Yes, Redcat is. Venom too. As well as Exceed
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

ok if i were to get the evader ext2. what is that 50 dollor brushless setup you are talking about
Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok if i were to get the evader ext2. what is that 50 dollor brushless setup you are talking about
Prices went up a tiny bit since I ordered one. $60 now

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html

There are faster ones for the same price on the same website as above. The more KV the motor, the faster the truck will be but also the less time the battery will last before it needs recharged. That website also has cheap batteries and chargers which you will need to factor into your total cost.
A 3s battery is going to make your car go faster than a 3s battery as well.

You combine that EXT2 with a 3s battery and the motor I suggested and you'll be able to do well above 50mph.

I recommend these:
charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

battery:
2s: http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000ma...4-30c-car.html
3s:http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

Last edited by Driver86; 01-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

ok with that how fast will the ext2 go
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

i am wanting something for bashing but will upgrade it to lipo and brushless. but i want stock to have ok performence what is a good truck i like the duratrax evader ext2 and for 120 it is hard to beat. any other suggestions dont want something too slow. do you know the stock speed of the evader ext2. what should i be looking for in a rc car thanks
Go with a slash...don't get a duratrax no one carries parts for them...besides a stadium truck doesn't make a good basher anyway.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok with that how fast will the ext2 go
easily above 50mph. I'd also advise getting a wheelie bar.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer53
Go with a slash...don't get a duratrax no one carries parts for them...besides a stadium truck doesn't make a good basher anyway.
i agree
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer53
What are you basing that OPINION off of. Did you actually read the whole thread. He lives right next to Great Planes. They have ANYTHING he'll ever need.

Stadium trucks are fast, jump well and can take a bit of abuse. If you want to do a little more offroading, you can go this route as well:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXYYT0**&P=7

However, with the motor and battery setup I gave you, you'll have plenty of power to go through any dirt or grass environment you may encounter.

One of the advantages to the Traxxas brushless stuff is that it is water proof, but you're going to pay about $100 more than what you would buying the Duratrax AND the stuff I listed.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUX**&P=ML
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

honestly.. im no AE guy.. but the SC10 brushless RTR is prob the best bang for the buck.. its durable.. has aluminum shocks.. you can race it if you ever want to... its lipo ready.. can take up to a 3s..(on 3s itll easily do north of 40 mph) it freaking comes with a 2.4ghz radio and a 3300kv brushless motor.. for $259
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Driver86
One of the advantages to the Traxxas brushless stuff is that it is water proof, but you're going to pay about $100 more than what you would buying the Duratrax AND the stuff I listed.
water resistant.. and bearings etc are not water resistant..
Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

lets get back to the basics. some companies are inherently bash-oriented, but wish they were race oriented, and some are race-oriented, who wish they were bash oriented. and some are strictly race. Traxxas, hpi, duratrax, venom, exceed. they all want to be racers, but are really the best bashers. Losi, kyosho, ofna, associated, they are racers, but want to be a reliable basher too. Outside of race level jumps thought, their basher qualities start to lack. Tamiya is one of the only "strictly race" companies, and have really narrowed their market, going for mostly on road applications.
what you REALLY need in a basher is a LHS that stocks parts for it, because you will eat those up.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

ok driver 86 since you really seam to know what you are talking about i have a few other questions.

1st. i have found a few of the older style rustler for cheap that are used will that be the same as the ext2 on speed after i put that brushless motor in it.
i dont know if i want a new ext2 or a used older rustler what do you recommend i do

2nd. will the ezrun 35a esc work with a tacon 3200kv motor or if i get the tacon will i have to go 60a. and witch is better the set up that you game me or the same esc with a tacon motor

Thanks Sheldon Stumpf

Last edited by sstumpf; 01-28-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: also can i use nimh batteries with the brushless until i go lipo
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok driver 86 since you really seam to know what you are talking about i have a few other questions.

1st. i have found a few of the older style rustler for cheap that are used will that be the same as the ext2 on speed after i put that brushless motor in it.
i dont know if i want a new ext2 or a used older rustler what do you recommend i do

2nd. will the ezrun 35a esc work with a tacon 3200kv motor or if i get the tacon will i have to go 60a. and witch is better the set up that you game me or the same esc with a tacon motor

Thanks Sheldon Stumpf
The Rustler and the Ext2 are very comparable. IMO, you can't go wrong with either. They'll be about equal in speed as well. If the cost is at or near equal I would go in favor of new, especially with the nice redesign on the ext2.

The Tacon motor will be fine, just be sure that you are getting a 540 size and not a 370 size. Tacon and Hobbywing are very comparable. I in fact have run Tacon motors with the Hobbywing ESCs. The important thing to pay attention to other than size is the KV. The more KV, the faster the vehicle and the shorter the battery lasts before recharging.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

ok well i am thinking i will go with the new ext2 if you feel that it isnt bad. back to the brushless sorry to keep bothering you about it but i do like the tacon motors better i think i will go with a 3200kv will that be fine on run time but still get enough speed witch one do you have keep in mind i will be using a nimh until i can get lipo. and with the hobbywing esc witch one should i get a 35a or 60a witch do you have some guy tried to tell me that with the tacon motor it will fry the 35a but i see people running the tacon 3200kv with a 35a
Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

New Associated SC10 4x4 truck available for backorder at www.premierehobbies.com!!!!!