Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Default Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy

I have a T4.1 and was wondering about a new motor. What is the diffrence between a reedy 3300 kv motor vs a novak ballistic 13.5
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Stay away from Novak, I always had problems and seen nothing but problems. Id go with tekin that's all I run.

Ty
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Reedy will be a little faster but it is a sensorless design

The ballistic is a sensored motor so you can have more control

The 3300kv is comparable to a 13.5, little faster but with a sensored setup you will most likely be faster, i.e. traction, control, cornering

I run ballistics in my cars, never had a problem yet, i actually have a spare with a extra stator to run two classes with both vehicles, the rebuildable design and able to buy different stator for $35 is great (so you can have a 13.5 10.5 17.5 stators and swap them out on one motor if you want)

Ballistics are by far not the best motor, slightly powered less then the same turn in a different brand motor, but they are consistent, rebuildable, and have great warranties
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Thx for comments . Wondering what else would be a good 13.5 motor or something very similar.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Team Epic Duo3 13.5...

You would be very happy with the New D3 (Duo3) motors from Team Epic. The run cooler than many others out there. Respond to timing advance VERY well and have tons of low end punch when geared correctly. At our local track Duo3 took 1 & 3rd in 2WD buggy and 2-3 in 2WD Short Course.

Our buddy in Indiana took lead the first three minutes of the open short course class and finished third with only a 17.5 agains 8.5s and 9.5s...

They are the real deal.

Check out Stormerhobbies or teamepiconline or ask your local hobby shop to carry them.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Does anybody else have a team epic 13.5 brushless motor? Once again running it in a t4.1.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x60Driver
Stay away from Novak, I always had problems and seen nothing but problems. Id go with tekin that's all I run.

Ty
FALSE!

Novak motors are great; that's all i run. They are tough as nails and smooth
Plus they have the best customer service if you should need that due to user error.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by The Rev
FALSE!

Novak motors are great; that's all i run. They are tough as nails and smooth
Plus they have the best customer service if you should need that due to user error.
That wasnt a true or false question. My post is correct, as far as you day Novak motors tough as nails well there not. There old motors where really good but there new ones just suck.

I have always seen nothing but problems with them.

I will stay with my Tekin motors.

Ty
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Ive read bad things about there ESCs, but not to much about the motors. The local shops here runs and races with Novak in his stuff. And hes a 65 year old man that been running RC for 30 years and the shop is over 20 years old. So Im shure he wouldnt run against his buddies with anything less...You find people who have had trouble with about every product thats out there. Check out LRP X-12 motors.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)
Exclamation

That wasnt a true or false question. My post is correct, as far as you day Novak motors tough as nails well there not. There old motors where really good but there new ones just suck.

Ty
Please learn how to spell the words you use. It's far too difficult to follow your contributions to the forum when your spelling of several words just don't make sense. After all this is an ENGLISH speaking country. Take time to learn it.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

lol first post on rctech used to bash someone...

i have ran novak 13.5 motors and i liked them, but trinity d3 was alot smoother, and had alot more power everywhere... that being said im using trinity revtech motors now, and they feel the same just more top end.

others have said d3 is better for boost racing, and the revtech is better for blinky racing.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagnat
Please learn how to spell the words you use. It's far too difficult to follow your contributions to the forum when your spelling of several words just don't make sense. After all this is an ENGLISH speaking country. Take time to learn it.
That would be doesn't make sense.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I know some people may not like them, but Novak makes some pretty hot motors. It is a little known secret nowadays with people going after the latest flavor of the month motor. In my experience Novak doesn't rate their own motors power as high as they should and other manufacturers have rated their motors power much higher than they actually are as seen on a dyno.

I've also seen a Novak 13.5 old style can with a noticeable amount of power difference compared to another Novak 13.5. This means that not all brushless motors are equal even from the same manufacturer.

If my old computer hard drive didn't fully die, I had access to many dyno plots. The only dyno plots I still have are ones I kept on these forums. I attached what dyno plots I still have so you can see for yourself.

A Novak 13.5 2 years ago had around 208W max power, a Hacker 13.5 was rated at 215W. The Novak's power band was much wider though and was 16% more efficient. A Novak boosted 30deg had an increase in about 4000 RPMs. I really wish I still had that dyno plot of Ed's 13.5, if I remember right it's power was around 230W and revved to 28000 rpm on a 2S with no boost.
Attached Thumbnails Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy-0vs30.jpg   Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy-hacker-vs-novak.jpg   Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy-novak1350boost1.jpg   Novak 13.5 Vs Reedy-hacker1350boost1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mattnin
I know some people may not like them, but Novak makes some pretty hot motors. It is a little known secret nowadays with people going after the latest flavor of the month motor. In my experience Novak doesn't rate their own motors power as high as they should and other manufacturers have rated their motors power much higher than they actually are as seen on a dyno.

I've also seen a Novak 13.5 old style can with a noticeable amount of power difference compared to another Novak 13.5. This means that not all brushless motors are equal even from the same manufacturer.

If my old computer hard drive didn't fully die, I had access to many dyno plots. The only dyno plots I still have are ones I kept on these forums. I attached what dyno plots I still have so you can see for yourself.

A Novak 13.5 2 years ago had around 208W max power, a Hacker 13.5 was rated at 215W. The Novak's power band was much wider though and was 16% more efficient. A Novak boosted 30deg had an increase in about 4000 RPMs. I really wish I still had that dyno plot of Ed's 13.5, if I remember right it's power was around 230W and revved to 28000 rpm on a 2S with no boost.
Rating on our motor is based on temperature rise, when we decided on these numbers we use average current draw over 5 minutes to arrive at these numbers.
One can spec a motor at 1000 watt but for how long?
Motor power rating is based on the all the internal loss combined and the motors ability to get rid of the heat generated by internally.
This is called the motor constant.
I get a smile on my face when I see these crazy numbers published by some manufactures for the same size motor. We use very low loss magnetic wire and use high quality silicon steel for lamination for best performance.
Adnan Khan
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Ty
Actually in my experience I would say to stay away from the Ballistic motors, for some reason the just meltdown for no reason BUT the Velociti line are tough as nails! Especially if you throw in the tuning rotor! Then they get nuts!

Originally Posted by JFuel11
You would be very happy with the New D3 (Duo3) motors from Team Epic. The run cooler than many others out there. Respond to timing advance VERY well and have tons of low end punch when geared correctly. At our local track Duo3 took 1 & 3rd in 2WD buggy and 2-3 in 2WD Short Course.

Our buddy in Indiana took lead the first three minutes of the open short course class and finished third with only a 17.5 agains 8.5s and 9.5s...

They are the real deal.

Check out Stormerhobbies or teamepiconline or ask your local hobby shop to carry them.
+1 I have heard they are great so I just got one but have not had a chance to run it yet! Built like a birck sh&thouse though! But aren't they made by Trinity? Unless Trinity and Epic are the same place... I have also heard the same thing about Revtechs.

Ty
The "old motors" being the Velociti line, and they are great like I said above!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.