Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy: how light is too light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default 1/8 buggy: how light is too light?

I've seen quite a few threads lately about people building and running ultra-light 1/8 e-buggy setups. The Losi 810 and Ofna NEXX8 seem to be popular platforms, and a few others too.

My question is, how light is too light? The mentality seems to be that lighter always equals better, with people going to extreme lengths to shave off every gram possible. But to me it seems like there is a point where being too light will actually hurt performance. Like if the vehicle becomes too "jittery" or too responsive, or not enough traction.

What do you think? Is there a point where making your buggy lighter can hurt performance?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

My hyper 9e weighs in at 7lbs in ready to drop on the track form and since i went down to this weight, my lap times are much more consistent. I was able to TQ and take 2nd in the main. ( I got nervous from being in the lead and messed up in the rythm section).

It used to weight 7.8 lbs and I couldn't get a consistent race finished.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

"All current cars are overweight. We have a minimum weight limit, so lets live by it! In some forms of racing, extra weight is added to the winner of the previous race, in order to slow him down in an attempt to make racing more exciting. Key words -> More weight = slower. Yes, also in RC, yes, also if you are a beginner, yes, also in clubraces. If a heavy car is easier to drive, faster, or better, it is because the light one has the wrong set up, or wrong tyres, not because more weight is better."

http://jq-products.com/the-news/44-t...release-part-3
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You will know. Because the car will become very nimble almost to the point were it is hard to drive. We had an AE engineer get his RC8 down to 5 lbs and was to hard to drive and handled and jumped weird.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can only post my experience and not my thoughts on the matter...
I went the lite route for my Losi 2.0B and it handled very well but then I had to buy a pair of lipos to keep up with the long nitro mains which added some weight to my rig.
Surprisingly though my car handled on a different level for the better. I was able to throw the car around way harder than before and not even see any handling issues in the ruts or bumpy sections of the track.
This did shock me at first but then it seems to me to make sense.
Because of the added weight my rig stays planted in the rough while it's lighter counterpart would get thrown around a little more which would force me to slow down in those sections. I didn't have to slow down in those sections anymore.
Now for the power I saw in cornering simply comes from the weight shifting in a corner to the outside wheel in an off-road rig which increases steering.
I would like to add that my experience and track time could have something to do with my experience (due to its increase) which to take that variable out would have to wait for next season around here to do more testing.
I would like to hear other peoples experiences with similar testing.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have posted some experimentation with light weight setups in the 810 E ultra light thread. Basically there is a limit to how much weight you can remove in the chassis before you get unfavorable effects. You can only reduce tire/wheel/foam weight so much. Having all the remaining weight usprung (in the tires/outside of the car) is very bad for handling around corners.

You would be better off if you could remove weight equally across the entire vehicle, or better yet, anywhere far from the center. And yes, if you could do this, the limit (when going light is too light) would be very low.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

How much deos the average Nitro Xray 808 with a 2s 1000mah Rx pack weigh?

Cause that's too light.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

But what happens when it comes to truggies? Right now, My d8t is at 7lbs..and thats with no motor, speedo, batts, or body...

I think on buggies, there is a point that it is too light, and when you find that point.. you will know. Like stated above, it will become nimble, then reach a point where it is too nimble.

However I think making a truggy as light as possible, would benefit its run times, and jumps/landings..
Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

I have a d8t that I converted to E. Unless you plan on cutting it up with a dremel, it's going to be heavy. Not that it hurts the truck, the Mugen borders on being too light.

I only run 4500 Turnigy packs in it to keep the weight down.

Go too light and the car will be less predictable, making good grip 1 second and then plowing off the track with massive understeer the next.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What helped me was lightening up the drivetrain. The car would brake and accelerate better. But the parts will wear out quickly.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpEEdyBL
I have posted some experimentation with light weight setups in the 810 E ultra light thread. Basically there is a limit to how much weight you can remove in the chassis before you get unfavorable effects. You can only reduce tire/wheel/foam weight so much. Having all the remaining weight usprung (in the tires/outside of the car) is very bad for handling around corners.

You would be better off if you could remove weight equally across the entire vehicle, or better yet, anywhere far from the center. And yes, if you could do this, the limit (when going light is too light) would be very low.
It sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Reducing unsprung weight is really important to the handling characteristics of the car overall. The weight of wheels and tires is fairly consistent across the board, and really light wheel/tires are not yet available. Also, I have round that my old hot bodies ve8 with HHH chassis had too much weight removed from the chassis with some custom modifications that I did, and this caused unpredictable handling. I couldn't find springs light enough and the shocks were not matched well to the chassis weight.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

It's never light enough

1/8th buggies done right should easily weight around 2.8kg at least, it's not bad for performance when the set up is done consequently.

PS:

Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 all great posts. I'd also recommend for racing to have car at or just above the regulated limit, so when attending a sanctioned race you'll know how the car will perform, handle, etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

try putting a 2000bhp engine in a F1 chassis and tell me it's not overpowered and impossible to drive.

These 1/8 brushless buggies have so much power that they can get to light. But then if we go light enough we can go down in power.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Setup should always match vehicle weight (crucial), conditions, race length and track layout. It is just one of the variables. A vehicle at the minimum weight, accelerates better, has longer run times between pit stops and if setup properly (a big if) handles better. Heavy cars actually push worse in turns as a lighter car can carry more speed with less centrifigual pull to the outside of a corner. If a lighter car handles nervously, its setup is wrong, usually springs/damping and tires/foams need changing. Simple physics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.