Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course Setup Methods

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I hate to even say something here but its killing me. I personally know a few of the top guys in the country and most likely the world. They don't have frieking mechanics. They wrench on their own stuff just like you and me. They do it alot more often and meticulously most likely. They use all the setup tools we do. Camber gauge, ride height gauge, caliper, etc. Most I know don't use a setup board and almost always eyeball front toe. There is a way to check it with a flat surface and camber gauge (or iphone), but most don't do it. They don't get their stuff pre-setup. If you see one of them with a mechanic at a big race he is usually just their pit guy and does what they tell him. Especially the american drivers. The closest thing I've seen to a mechanic is Cav's dad who is very hands on. Mayfield, Fischer, Drake, Truhe all do their own. You really think the guy pitting for Drake touches his motor without looking up to see what he says first. HA!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You guys are just too funny... We go from talking Short Course setup to 1/8th scale worlds!

I hate name droppers but I'm going to go ahead and do it here... My track houses top level factory Kyosho drivers as well as Joe Pillars, who happens to be Tebo's pit man when they race gas. If Jared needs a quick adjustment to his car while he's on the drivers stand Joe makes it. Other than that Jared wrenches and sets up his own car.

Now at something like worlds, all of the manufacturers have their top engine builders there working on the teams motors, these guys are the best at building and tuning motors and thats why there there. I'm pretty sure Yuichi Kanai was there for tuning support as well... It's worlds for gods sake. This is not how things normally work.

All of the top drivers build their own kits and do all of their own setup work, this isn't formula 1 guys!

I've had the pleasure of having Tebo and Cav both at our track multipule times for invitational races amongst just coming up for a club race and to hang out. Both of them made setup changes to their cars all on their own, they all used the same simple tools that we've been talking about. No rocket science, magic or setup boards! And they did it all on their own without anyone holding their hand or doing it for them!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use my Hudy 1/8 (with 17mm adaptors) for set up. I then take the measurement of the gap between ball ends on the turnbuckle with calipers and adjust (if necessary) between runs.

I don’t agree measurements change “just by running” I’ve hand plenty of get offs and clean runs to check and they stayed solid. If people are running into problems with measurements changing then they should replace the ball ends.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I use a Integy Universal setup station on my SC10 and T4. Nice and easy.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirtRacer68
I think the basic settings like; ride height, camber, and front/rear toe are as important as driving and pushing yourself to be smooth and consistant. With that being said, I think just eyeballing is cutting yourself short. RC-ZOMBIE what setup station do you use and do they make one for short course trucks?
I only have the 1/8 Hudy. I dont have one for 1/10 but looking at the Hudy 1/10 offroad setup station
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Look at this link and see who else is helping Tebo, http://www.jaredtebo.com/team/

Looks like good old dad is his mechanic. Heck he even has a chassis guy listed.
You might see some of these guys at local events wrenching but with most of the factory support, I think 80 percent of the setup is done before they get the vehicle in their hands. The designers know where the vehicle needs to be for a baseline for the pros.
That link is a couple of years old... No more Dad, no more O'Donnell. Jareds mechanic/ pit monkey is Joe Pillars now.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I hate to even say something here but its killing me. I personally know a few of the top guys in the country and most likely the world. They don't have frieking mechanics. They wrench on their own stuff just like you and me. They do it alot more often and meticulously most likely. They use all the setup tools we do. Camber gauge, ride height gauge, caliper, etc. Most I know don't use a setup board and almost always eyeball front toe. There is a way to check it with a flat surface and camber gauge (or iphone), but most don't do it. They don't get their stuff pre-setup. If you see one of them with a mechanic at a big race he is usually just their pit guy and does what they tell him. Especially the american drivers. The closest thing I've seen to a mechanic is Cav's dad who is very hands on. Mayfield, Fischer, Drake, Truhe all do their own. You really think the guy pitting for Drake touches his motor without looking up to see what he says first. HA!
+1

I was Ryan Lutz's "mechanic" during the Kyosho years. My job was to wrench engines on what ever Ryan needed. 99% of the time it was himself. My role was the second set of eyes and brains for set up and advice. (That and 2 second pit stops
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

I have to agree with the pro's that have been in the hobby for sometime, but look at the age of most of the pros and sponsored drivers today, it's getting younger and younger and that's when I throw up the flag of reality of those guys setting their own cars up. This is what I call the video gamer generation where the kids can wheel, but forget about adding work and wrenching into their lifestyle. 14 year old from Australia taking fourth in the worlds. Some people are naturals at wheeling and others no matter how good the setup is are never going to be able to wheel.
While that's true, but also don't sell the younger generation out. I watched a short little video on youtube about this kid. He did have his dad help him wrench on it and help him do some changes, but he also was going to big races by himself and doing all the work himself. These young kids that are pros aren't completely stupid.

Now me on the other hand, I suck at wrenching and I suck at driving. lol. Their's no hope for me! haha!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Who implied I was crazy doing it this way? I do count the threads on the tie rods when I screw the ball cups on if that counts
My point is I think alot of people over complicate this hobby and focus more on set up and having the latest and greatest gear rather than improving their driving. Not knocking anyone in this thread, just making a general statement.

For those of you that have been aroun awhile, back in the days of dog bones before CVD's who else used springs out of pens cut in half inside the hub carries to keep tension on the dog bones to help keep them from popping out? Still works today with the entry level kits
Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I eyeball the toe
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Reedy26
Who implied I was crazy doing it this way? I do count the threads on the tie rods when I screw the ball cups on if that counts
My point is I think alot of people over complicate this hobby and focus more on set up and having the latest and greatest gear rather than improving their driving. Not knocking anyone in this thread, just making a general statement.

For those of you that have been aroun awhile, back in the days of dog bones before CVD's who else used springs out of pens cut in half inside the hub carries to keep tension on the dog bones to help keep them from popping out? Still works today with the entry level kits
How can your driving skills get any better without a good set up to start with?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Must be talent. J/K

Lots and lots of experience. I started racing RC when I was 8 years old. My parents owned and operated a LHS and track for almost 15 years. I can eyeball toe in/out with in a degree. Again, this is off road and the tolerances are MUCH more forgiving than if it was say a pan car.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bjholz
I eyeball the toe
Hey BJ I just noticed your a trackside guy. Do you know Brian Koch and Brad Johnson?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Look at this link and see who else is helping Tebo, http://www.jaredtebo.com/team/

Looks like good old dad is his mechanic. Heck he even has a chassis guy listed.
You might see some of these guys at local events wrenching but with most of the factory support, I think 80 percent of the setup is done before they get the vehicle in their hands. The designers know where the vehicle needs to be for a baseline for the pros.
Tebo dose all of his setup work in 1/10 i dont know about 1/8.

i will try to find the video that he said that in

that site was from 2005
Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Cav's gonna be at a track in western Mi on the 10th. Why? to teach a class on setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.