Wiki Posts
Search

Novak for Stock Spec SC racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Novak for Stock Spec SC racing

Looking to get a 17.5 brushless setup for stock SC spec racing. Looking at the Novak setups due to budget <$200

Which of these setups would be best? My home track is kinda technical with a large double in the infield

Havoc Spec

Havoc 3S/Ballistic

Havoc Pro/Ballistic

These setups are $150-$190, almost makes me think I'd be better off getting the brushless SC10 RTR for $260 since I've been wanting to upgrade from the Slash anyways. I'm just worried If i get the SC10 I won't be able to race it anymore since it's not a 17.5T motor, even though it's RTR.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Doxiedad
Looking to get a 17.5 brushless setup for stock SC spec racing. Looking at the Novak setups due to budget <$200

Which of these setups would be best? My home track is kinda technical with a large double in the infield

Havoc Spec

Havoc 3S/Ballistic

Havoc Pro/Ballistic

These setups are $150-$190, almost makes me think I'd be better off getting the brushless SC10 RTR for $260 since I've been wanting to upgrade from the Slash anyways. I'm just worried If i get the SC10 I won't be able to race it anymore since it's not a 17.5T motor, even though it's RTR.

The Brushless SC10 is more like a 13.5 motor so it would not be able to race in a Stock SCT class. For a 17.5t motor any of those systems would work and perform about the same. I have run them all and the limitation is the motor. Clearly the Havoc Pro has the most capability for future use since it can run higher current motors. The Havoc 3s is pretty cool cause you can try 3s Lipos. I used to run this when I ran 3s in the Open SCT and 2s in the Stock SCT with the same vehicle. I stepped up to the Kinetic to get the dynamic timing. This is the most important feature and you will be racing against Tekin RS and Castle MMP powered vehicles with dynamic timing. So if you want to be most competitive you should save some money up to get the Kinetic or Havoc Pro SC.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A few of the guys at our track have the Havoc Spec and its fast! A lot of us actually thought they were running timing cause of how much faster their trucks were compared to everybody else.

I personally hate Novak products but these systems have been faster than the guys running Tekin's in the Spec class...

The RTR is not spec so your track isin't going to let you run it more than likely.

The Havoc Spec in an SC10 is a very winning combo.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

What's the difference if any between the SS pro motor and the ballistic motor? I don't need to run 3S since that's not race legal anyways.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The SS was their high end motor until they came out with the Ballistic line... The Ballistic motors are rebuildable but I've seem quite a few people have issues with them. The SS motor is just as good as the Ballistic IMO.

Plus the SS motors can take a beating and keep on ticking!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would save up for like a GTB and a Havoc motor if I were you. I have been hearing horror stories of the Havoc boards going bad. These like the ESC shutting off, smoking, and other weird functions.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

100 bucks
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You can get a reman. GTB on Novaks site for like $100 and it will run any BL motor on the market, the Havoc sport will only run Novak motors down to 8.5
Off topic but a GTB can also run a 550 size motor as well if you were to ever go to a 4x4 SC truck. The Havoc Pro will also run motors other than Novak and it's really just an updated GTB but I still don't trust them, too many issues, solved or not GTB is tried and true!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go with the GTB, you can't beat it for $99. I'm still running them in 2 cars, and 1 Kinetic. They are pretty close in the way they feel, but the Kinetic and GTB2 have more features and much better brakes.

Or if you can wait, Novak is coming out with the GTB2 in January. It's basically the Kinetic without the boost features and without the ability to use the novalink. I'm not sure of the price point.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I run a GTB & 17.5 novak in sc that is about 3 years old and never have had a problem most reliable system I have ever own!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for all the input. it does not have to be a Novak, just was trying to get a good 17.5 setup for $200 or less
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Company Representative

Because ROAR selected 17.5 as its Sportsman motor, we have a page in our store featuring these systems; most are under (way under) 200.00:

TeamNovak 17.5 Systems

We also have some items in our RMF store, including the Ballistic 17.5T motor. We are almost out of the original GTBs (new and RMF) but will be releasing the replacement GTB 2 next month---same specs and low price as the orig.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Doxiedad
What's the difference if any between the SS pro motor and the ballistic motor? I don't need to run 3S since that's not race legal anyways.
We do not claim additional performance for the Ballistic motors over our earlier SS Pros. In addition to our exclusive re-buildability, the Ballistics have several other nice features: almost limitless timing adjustability, sensor harness exiting to the side, colored-coded spec wound stators. With a simple change of stator, you have a different motor.