Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Advice required. Want to get back into RC Cars... >

Advice required. Want to get back into RC Cars...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice required. Want to get back into RC Cars...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice required. Want to get back into RC Cars...

Hey folks,

Wonder if you can help.... I am looking to buy a new 2ww 1/10 RC Car. I used to (a few years ago now) be into Schumacher Cat's (Cougar, Pro Cat etc)...

I really fancy getting the Schumacher SV Pro but don't know how to spec it up with electronics, motors etc...

Any ideas?

Initially just going to use it in the woods etc, might eventually join a local club

Having taken a look at the RC scene thesedays I realise it's moved on a bit since 1992! not sure what the deal is with brushless motors etc... Is this something I would want to look at do you think?

Also, with cells / chargers... What would you suggest? Types, MH's, configuration in a cougar sv etc.

Any help would be really appreciated. As you can tell, I am a complete noob.

Thanks... Richo...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default recommendations

There are so many good combo's out there that you would be pleased with. Alot depends on amount of $$ you'd like to spend and if you'll head over to a local track and race. I primarily race offraod and on a track only, so I opted to go all out, trying several different brands of ESC's and Motors to get the best performance package for racing. In my opinion and multiple abilities to makimize different racing classes, I chose the Tekin RS Pro ESC (www.teamtekin.com) and a Murfdogg Synergy Motor (www.murfdogg.com). For all out racing performance this combo put down the best result and power. You'll want to purchase a descent Lipo battery (SMC, Orion, Venom, Protek, etc) that will fit your chasis you choose. There are also many good Lipo compatible chargers available for a good price and would recommend purchasing one with the ability to store a Lipo battery (ex., Hyperion), to maximize it's performance and longevity. If you have a chance to get out to a local track, you can ask the fast guys what they are using, look at their stuff and have a better idea of what you may like. I'd also look at what Manufactuer chasis are dominant in your area for future replacement parts and tuning assistance. Hope this helps a bit and gets you going into R/C again soon.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just get the new sv pro cf and a tekin rs 13.5 system and your done. Easy to tune and tons of tuning options.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The nice thing is that R/C racing, in my opinion, is so much simpler today than it was in 1992. I've been in it for the entire stretch, minus a short break from 1997-2000.

Lipo batteries and Brushless systems have made much of the maintenance, nonexistent. I hated cutting motors. I thought the Orion V2 motors were a huge advancement because I could run the same motor all weekend and not cut it. No more cutting motors prior to the main. Now, I do "zero" maintenance on my motors. They perform the same everytime - and I can run for almost 15 minutes in 2wd modified.

Buy whichever chassis you're interested in. Rumor has it that Team Losi will have something new very soon, which I'm hoping is the first 2wd car designed specifically around Lipo and Brushless technology. I'm not sure how long it might be, but you never know - it could be close.

As far as electronics, get a good brushless system. I use Losi Xcelorin, but I'm sure there are other good ones. I recommend a 10.5 motor to start in 2wd. Losi makes some great Xcelorin Lipos. The new 5000mah 40c pack is awesome.

Either way, good luck with getting back in. You don't need near the number of batteries and motors that you used to need. Running one class, you can get away with 2 batteries and one motor.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or any advice - especially on Losi products.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks so much guys, much appreciated... I'm definitely going to go with the Schumacher Cougar SV. Realy like the thought of a fun little 2wd.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson
Rumor has it that Team Losi will have something new very soon, which I'm hoping is the first 2wd car designed specifically around Lipo and Brushless technology. I'm not sure how long it might be, but you never know - it could be close.
Nope... the Cougar SV is already desinged specificaly for lipos and brushless motors.

To the original poster... the cougar SV is the best 2wd buggy racer on the market right now, and it is a beast on the track. But, its a full carbon race kit... i wouldn't bash it out "in the woods" ever... for that, get yourself a Traxxas Slash or an AE SC10.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Also... here is the Cougar thread for piles and piles of information about the buggy:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ar-sv-2wd.html
Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

8.5T is the "Mod standard" for 2WD buggy, truck, and SC acording to Team Associated , Matt at Murffdog motors and Amainhobbies

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 11-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Nope... the Cougar SV is already desinged specificaly for lipos and brushless motors.

To the original poster... the cougar SV is the best 2wd buggy racer on the market right now, and it is a beast on the track. But, its a full carbon race kit... i wouldn't bash it out "in the woods" ever... for that, get yourself a Traxxas Slash or an AE SC10.
My bad - Can't say I've ever paid much attention to what Schumacher is doing as they've always been non-existent in the United States. I'm sure it's a great buggy, but it's probably a little bit strong to claim it's the "best" 2wd buggy on the market right now.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
8.5T is the "Mod standard" for 2WD buggy, truck, and SC acording to Team Associated , Matt at Murffdog motors and Amainhobbies
I am also getting back into RC after a long 25 year break. I am going 4wd 1/10th off road and 90% sure I am going with the CAT pro SX.

what is a reltaive "standard" for 4wd offroad these days motor wise?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mdl060374
I am also getting back into RC after a long 25 year break. I am going 4wd 1/10th off road and 90% sure I am going with the CAT pro SX.

4wd guys run a 10.5 in superstock I believe... and 6.5 in mod. (usually, depends on your track)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
4wd guys run a 10.5 in superstock I believe... and 6.5 in mod. (usually, depends on your track)
thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdl060374

6.5 to 7.5 it depends on what your putting it in.. not the track, you gear it and adjust profile to the track

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 11-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

10.5 would be more appropriate for getting back in, it will be more than enough speed/power. Most guys I see with 6.5's etc. in 4wd mod are turning them down anyways....
Old 12-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I dont understand the motor choices. Can someone please explain what the balance is when deciding what to run?

I was thinking about buying a Tekin ESC with a 13.5t Brushless for the Cougar (to start with)...

Is it right that the lower the turn the more torque you get and hence the less top speed? If thats so then surely the gearing needs to compliment the motor choice so as not to under or over balance the mix?

I think that makes sense?! Does it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.