Tamiya Avante Returns In February 2011 >

Tamiya Avante Returns In February 2011

Tamiya Avante Returns In February 2011

Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Avante Returns In February 2011

Tamiya is bringing back the Avante in Feb 2011. This was one of the most expensive buggy back in 1988 and is currently one of the most desirable buggy amongst collectors.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/e-home.htm

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's an English translation from Tamiya Blog

Tamiya 58489 1/10 R/C AVANTE (2011)
Tentative price including tax 52800 yen. The main chassis is equipped with a CPR unit was assumed. Mechanical response to the current FRP double deck, not made. Changes, including increased strength carbon material. Riyadanpasute carbon material can be. Same package size and design models to reprint the original box. Parts will be reproduced in blister. Tamiya original decals with changes in detail. The front knuckle machined aluminum parts and change the intensity increased while pursuing the same shape. Specifications can change the oil o-ring to be a lower cap ring that can be easily replaced. For unspecified motor is still attached. Be able to reproduce the image of the original gold color. Number of turns, motor can, end bell, colored stickers are to be considered.

Last edited by Funkymojo; 11-07-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added video
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is the best news I have heard in a long time.
IMO im nastalgic already.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

I will get it for nostalgia's sake but to be honest, the Avante wasn't a great performer. I had one back in the day, it looks really nice but the parts were fragile and the handling couldn't keep up with the Yokomo, Schumacher and Kyosho buggies of the day. It is said that the re release will feature updated parts that will be more durable than the old parts but performance wise, i think it's still gonna be the same. It wasn't all that great back in 1988 so i don't think it's gonna be any better now.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It would make a nice addition to the collection. It would also be interesting to see how the handing compares to my hopped up Vanquish...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Nice re release! I cant afford this buggy back in the days when Im still in shorts. I can only drool from a hobby shop window. I wish they"ll re release the Wild One too which is for me is the best scale buggy!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
Nice re release! I cant afford this buggy back in the days when Im still in shorts. I can only drool from a hobby shop window. I wish they"ll re release the Wild One too which is for me is the best scale buggy!
+1 for the Wild One, first car I ever drove was my uncles Fast Attack, a few years later (10+) we had a used Wild One come into the shop and I grabbed it. No idea where it went over the years. But yeah they were as close as you could get to a scale buggy for the time, especially around here with Crandon being so close.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
Tamiya's gonna re release the Attack Buggy which is the Fast Attack Buggy. As i remember the Fast Attack and Wild One shared the same chassis? If that's the case, we might see the re release of the Wild One as well...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Where do I get rims like that for my 1/10 truck.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Beingnutsis
NEAT!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkymojo View Post
I will get it for nostalgia's sake but to be honest, the Avante wasn't a great performer. I had one back in the day, it looks really nice but the parts were fragile and the handling couldn't keep up with the Yokomo, Schumacher and Kyosho buggies of the day. It is said that the re release will feature updated parts that will be more durable than the old parts but performance wise, i think it's still gonna be the same. It wasn't all that great back in 1988 so i don't think it's gonna be any better now.
Yeah if I do get one of these it will be for nastalgic reasons.
Ive always wanted one. But The egress Id like a re-release even more.
Maybe eventually they will get to the Egress, and Re-release it too.
I heard the Avante was over-engineeered back in the day.
I always wondered how these kinda cars would handle brushless motors.
I like the look of this car and the Egress.
But performance wise I bet the Egress could be better. I might be wrong thou.
I was gonna get a egrees til I found out they were 2 grand on ebay.
That's when i decided on a 501x WCE.

Last edited by ???E-Racer; 11-08-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Tamiya's gonna re release the Attack Buggy which is the Fast Attack Buggy. As i remember the Fast Attack and Wild One shared the same chassis? If that's the case, we might see the re release of the Wild One as well...
You mean the Fast Attack Vehicle, yup it shares with the Wild One's chassis only with a cammo image and a machine gun.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Just sharing some History, as it if nobody knows

Taken from http://www.robobugs.net/galleries/co...-tamiya-avante

Description

Released on March 31, 1988, the Avante (kit #58072) was Tamiya’s response to the numerous "serious" competition off-road racers that came out on the market in the late 80s. If you remember the late eighties then you’ll remember that Tamiya cars were non-existent on the competition circuit. The Frogs and HotShots had been replaced with Yokomos, Kyoshos and Associated Electric products and Tamiya was no longer considered a serious contender.

The Avante was suppose to change all that, it would bring Tamiya back to the forefront of technology once again. A completely new design, Tamiya re-introduced the use of exotic materials into a radically different chassis design. Made primarily of aluminum and FRP parts it was a departure from the plastic-only kits that dominated the model lineup of that age. The kit was to be stronger and more adjustable than any other car. Sporting features such as oversized aluminum dampers, adjustable upper turnbuckles and an ultra stiff FRP chassis, the Avante had all the right parts.

Although innovative, the car was also mostly an unproven collection of paper designs that didn’t come together into a competitive car. The aluminum parts were too soft and broke often, the front suspension
bottomed out with alarming regularity and the handling was not up to spec when compared to cars of the time.

Couple this with the sheer expense of the kit ($300 when it first debuted), the car was a sales flop. Although Tamiya would later use the design (albeit with a lot of plastic parts) in a few other cars, it never did make the impact in the racing world that Tamiya had hoped for.

Having said that, I don’t want people to think that this was a terrible car. In fact, quite the opposite! It was a marvelous tour-de-force of high-tech materials coupled with that incredible engineering expertise that Tamiya was known for. No other company could have put out an Avante other than Tamiya. Tamiya managed to make a car out of exotic and tough to work with materials that was as easy to assemble as any of their all-plastic kits. No other company could have accomplished such a feat.

The car also had many innovations which we would later see in other more successful cars. The engine is mounted midship and parallel to the center drive shaft. This simple and efficient design can now be seen in the latest Associated TC3 on-road car. The use of foam inserts in the tires, the rear wing’s attack angle could be altered and the use of a ball differential in the rear.

Family Tree

The Avante was kit number 72 from Tamiya, Tamiya part number 58072. A 1/10 scale 4WD off-road car, it was designed as a true competition off-road car for the experienced modeler.

After Tamiya had success with the Hot Shot series of kits they went all out to design the ultimate race buggy to compete with the faster & lighter kits such as the Optima series from Kyosho. The car was extremely expensive and in some markets did not come with the RX-540-VZ Technigold.

In many ways this kit was ahead of it's time sticking to an innovative shaft drive-train when everyone else was opting for belts. There was also a center ball differential, another first in it's class. It had a near center placement of battery and shared much with the common on-road 4wd touring cars of today in terms of layout. The wheels had another innovative feature of quick release fold out tabs allowing the user to remove the wheels without a wrench, although many racers removed this to save on weight.

The car however did not fair well on the track and is considered to be some what over engineered. Even with an innovative front suspension design, that used a rubber cylinder to allow the front arms to fold back slightly in the event of a front end collision, the car had fragile front suspension. Typically always breaking at the front upright. Tamiya did release a update upright with a slight change in the casting later on to rectify this. But due to the complexity of the front suspension the car did suffer from a lot of
steering slop. The short wheel base and wide front wheels also gave the car a tendency to over-steer. Again a common racing tip was to fit narrow tires up front to reduce this attribute. Weight was also an enemy of the Avante.

Another criticism was the amount of suspension travel, with it being very limited and as such found it hard to work well in the rough and rutted tracks of the day. But with all that being said this car is a true work of art with so many cool features for its time. It is its complexity that makes this a queen among queens on the shelf.

Tamiya did however produce a series of cars after the Avante addressing many of its criticisms.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer View Post
Yeah if I do get one of these it will be for nastalgic reasons.
Ive always wanted one. But The egress Id like a re-release even more.
Maybe eventually they will get to the Egress, and Re-release it too.
I heard the Avante was over-engineeered back in the day.
I always wondered how these kinda cars would handle brushless motors.
I like the look of this car and the Egress.
But performance wise I bet the Egress could be better. I might be wrong thou.
I was gonna get a egrees til I found out they were 2 grand on ebay.
That's when i decided on a 501x WCE.
501x was a better choice anyway.

Pity die hard collectors who spend tons of money to buy a 1K-2K NIB Avante from Ebay and found out Tamiya is have a reissued.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Where did you see that the Fast Attack is getting re-released and when? I still have my original one, was my first RC. I even still run it every once in a while though the gears are getting kind of fragile. This would be my number one RC to get!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tarheelquality View Post
Where did you see that the Fast Attack is getting re-released and when? I still have my original one, was my first RC. I even still run it every once in a while though the gears are getting kind of fragile. This would be my number one RC to get!
I read it on Tamiyaclub forum...i don't know if it's true or just a rumor, but if Tamiya could re release the Avante then i believe anything is possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.