Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless issues mbx5t

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ok, did u just start charging these batt? Seems not balanced at all. 2 packs are not balanced after play?

The weaker cell is 3.4? If you continue to bash till the car stops your cells or no matter what cells you buy will spoil quickly.

Cut off set to 3.4 or higher.

Is these cells 2s2p or 2s1p?

Race packs are usually matched cells very powerful & consistent.

Bash cells are cheaper n heavier n not so good.

If you want longer run time I suggest you change the motor to a lower kv eg 1300 then run 6s on it. Or gear lower.

It will run cooler n longer.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't know anything about the batteries except ... http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...oducts_id=5457

those last pictures are of the batteries after running the truck. it died on me, I walked up and got it. plugged the batteries in the charger to get the pictures and then unplugged them. Let them cool then charged them again.

so what battery would you recommend for the motor I currently have? if this setup is recommended for a truggy I would think that there is a common ground I would be able to get too
Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wishmasstir
I don't know anything about the batteries except ... http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...oducts_id=5457

those last pictures are of the batteries after running the truck. it died on me, I walked up and got it. plugged the batteries in the charger to get the pictures and then unplugged them. Let them cool then charged them again.

so what battery would you recommend for the motor I currently have? if this setup is recommended for a truggy I would think that there is a common ground I would be able to get too

I think if you are on budget get batts from hobbyking. If you hv more budget go for more well know brands like thunderpower or acorn or etc.

What's your lvc setting? & what kind of run time you want?

If 20mins n above u need 6s n low kv motor if 10-15mins just get new batts.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

okay, I was using the rcmonster configuration wizard and it seems that for the desired speed/runtime I'm looking for will allow me to use the esc/motor/gearing that I currently have and I would need a 6s 9000mah lipo (48mph/28 minute run time)

so I was browsing around looking for a battery and came across this. http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=257

the speed is pretty close to what i'm after, but the run time in an erevo is almost an hour according to maxamps. is this correct or just a way to lure people into a set of batteries?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

Seriously if u want long run time u shldnt drive electric. 9000mah in a truggy is damm heavy. N u gear 48mph?

U want long run time n gear fast no way!

Ur motor will overheat first! Followed by your batts.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

I had 2 nimh packs in the truck, which are 1lb each, that size of 6s would be about half pound or so heavier than that. I don't think the weight would really bother me much.

if everything your saying is true, superek4, then it seems that the new "tech" with electric still doesn't match up to nitro unless you have a little 1/10th scale short course truck that is a waste of time.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

I had 2 nimh packs in the truck, which are 1lb each, that size of 6s would be about half pound or so heavier than that. I don't think the weight would really bother me much.

if everything your saying is true, superek4, then it seems that the new "tech" with electric still doesn't match up to nitro unless you have a little 1/10th scale short course truck that is a waste of time.
Depends what's your purpose? Most racers even me geared to max 40mph only. 48mph is overkill.

If for speed runs then we dun expect long run time.

Ep 1:8 technology is barely 2 years old, I would Say it has Impressed me so far!

Like I said u can't hv best of both worlds. Even u want 6s setup your 2000kv motor must change.

Are u willing to spend another $500 to make it work?

I dun understand y no one replies to your questions
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Your going to mess something up if you run for 30min and gear for 48mph. I would also suggest going with a low kv motor, 1300kv and rrun 6s. You will get good runtime and less heat!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm starting to see this more and more often. People try to use 2S packs in series to get 4S. When a 2S pack is used in a typical 10th scale application, they see between 20 and 60 amps. When going to 8th scale, that same pack is getting nearly double the amp flow. You go from an average of 50 amps, to nearly 200(that's almost 100 amps per pack, nearly double what they were getting). It seems the lipos get "used" to the lower amp flow. Once you draw allot more of its energy, it won't last nearly as long, killing run time.

One of my racing buddies just went through the same thing. With a single 4S 4500 mah pack, I can run for about 20 minutes. My buddy, with a pair of 5200 mah 2S packs, can't finish a 12 minute main. While our driving styles are different, he shouldn't be using TWICE as much power to do the same thing. Those packs were nearly new, by the way.

Its just a theory that happens to fit the facts. I believe that once a 2S pack adapts to the average amp flow of a 10th scale application, that's all it can really do. If you started using that pack in a higher amp draw application, they seem to adapt and work fine. Also, even then... it seems a true 4S pack lives and runs longer, despite the fact its basically the same thing.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

I only said 48 mph because that's what it came up as in the rcmonster configuration for the current gearing that I have and the 6s battery. And as for running the 2 2s packs, its because the esc was wired for two packs already (traxxas version).

So back to the link I posted from max amps, the batteries for the erevo brushless, the run times they advertise is just false advertising? Since the motor and esc that comes in the erevo brushless can't even handle those batteries. I've seen a few guys at the track run their erevos for @ least a half hr without a battery change, ill have to see what they were using for batteries.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=Grgt4Z8CdfU

Last edited by wishmasstir; 10-18-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Lord

At best I run 30mins with 1350kv neu with 6s 5000 on a truggy. Geared 30mph.

Unless u are willing to buy another motor?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SuperEk4
At best I run 30mins with 1350kv neu with 6s 5000 on a truggy. Geared 30mph.

Unless u are willing to buy another motor?
I'm going to take it to the track this weekend hopefully and see what type of times I can get out of it there and hopefully try out a few other batteries also, but yea, I have no problem buying another motor for it if thats what is needed to get it where I want it to be. If I have to spend the money to have a truck worth while then i'll spend the money, if it can't be done because it'll just burn up motors and esc's then i'm going to unload it
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Lord

I'm going to take it to the track this weekend hopefully and see what type of times I can get out of it there and hopefully try out a few other batteries also, but yea, I have no problem buying another motor for it if thats what is needed to get it where I want it to be. If I have to spend the money to have a truck worth while then i'll spend the money, if it can't be done because it'll just burn up motors and esc's then i'm going to unload it
U are going try the old batts again? So what's the diff?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

hmm, maybe I am doing this wrong, but when I put your numbers in to the folllowing calculator:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

I am seeing a value of about 32mph using the following for input:

- MBX5T Diff Gear Ratio
- Spur gear 46T
- 12T Pinion
- 14.8V
- 2200Kv motor
- LPR Crimefighter for tire (5.8" diameter)

If this is valid, and it was me personally, I would up the pinion tooth count to about 15T, of course, depending on track conditions if racing (I usually gear to top out towards the end of the longest straight, then adjust from there as needed for the rest of the track, checking temps).

If you are finding you are at full throttle A LOT (smaller pinion will do this), it is possible to burn through a battery pretty quick compared to a more conventional gearing setup.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

I think he's not a racer but wants max run time 20-30min? Alot of high speed bashing which consume more Mah.

That's the problem

Originally Posted by Cain
hmm, maybe I am doing this wrong, but when I put your numbers in to the folllowing calculator:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

I am seeing a value of about 32mph using the following for input:

- MBX5T Diff Gear Ratio
- Spur gear 46T
- 12T Pinion
- 14.8V
- 2200Kv motor
- LPR Crimefighter for tire (5.8" diameter)

If this is valid, and it was me personally, I would up the pinion tooth count to about 15T, of course, depending on track conditions if racing (I usually gear to top out towards the end of the longest straight, then adjust from there as needed for the rest of the track, checking temps).

If you are finding you are at full throttle A LOT (smaller pinion will do this), it is possible to burn through a battery pretty quick compared to a more conventional gearing setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.