Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
After 24 years returning to RC and need advice. >

After 24 years returning to RC and need advice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After 24 years returning to RC and need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default After 24 years returning to RC and need advice.

Hello everyone.

As a kid I raced 1/10th offroad 2wd (Associated RC 10) and 4wd (Original Shumacher Cat) waayy back in the day (over 20 years ago).

I am looking to get back into RC, and have decided to stick with electric, and preferably 4wd offroad.

My main question is just to get some feedback on the most competitive (pros and cons of each) cars, and advice on motors, batteries, and speed controls.,

I stopped by a track today, and alot has changed since the old days needless to say.. I got the hobby stores opinion (probably biased to what they stock etc) so that is why I wanted to get a bunch of opinions on the best kits out there.

belt vs shaft drive?

I am a bit biased b/c I loved my Shumacher Cat, but the hobby store said they werent even competitve these days offroad. They said I should go with Mugen, and if I wanted belt driven, go with Losi.

Any other recommendations?

I am also looking to get into 1/10th 4wd touring, and they recommended Xray.

Any advice on anything product wise (or what to stay away from) would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mdl060374
I am a bit biased b/c I loved my Shumacher Cat, but the hobby store said they werent even competitve these days offroad. They said I should go with Mugen, and if I wanted belt driven, go with Losi.

Any other recommendations?
I recommend you never set foot in that store again.

Other then that, all the current generation of cars have been done to death on this forum, do a search. Not be rude but thats where all the info is.

Then go and buy a Shumacher if thats the brand that wets your whistle.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

If you are going to buy parts at a local hobby shop, I would pick cars that they stock parts for. You can buy the best car (everyone has an opinion) but if you can't get parts; it will not be useful.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

sounds like they were thinking 1\8 scale mugen does not make a 1\10 electric 4wd. Shumacher makes a very competitive 1\10 4wd but expect to order parts online in most areas. You also can't go wrong with a B44. You might also chek out 4wd short course it is a blast a a growing class in most areas.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Welcome back to R/C racing mdl060374. Alot of changes has happened in the R/C world.
I recommmend you buy a R/C vehicle that you know you can get parts for. From your local hobby shop or R/C race track. Get yourself use to racing again. I was out of R/C racing for ten years. I came back three years ago.

It's alot different now....
Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Maybe the guy at your hobbyshop was 1. Talking about the Original Cat, then he would be correct as it would not be competitive today. or 2. Snorting some serious crack, you should make sure he is okay.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

yokomo bmax4,, its a jdm car, my friend has one and it runs very very smooth and is pretty durable

associated b44, a little more fragile,full carbonfiber car, it does good on bluegroove since the chassis is very stiff

kyosho makes a car, as far as iv seen it runs good, a local racer has one and wins a lot with it

durango has a car also, it seems to be very nice already hooked up with aluminum parts from the factory, and a lot of the locals are switching to this car..

these are some options you also have
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b4wires
Welcome back to R/C racing mdl060374. Alot of changes has happened in the R/C world.
I recommmend you buy a R/C vehicle that you know you can get parts for. From your local hobby shop or R/C race track. Get yourself use to racing again. I was out of R/C racing for ten years. I came back three years ago.

It's alot different now....
+1. Go for parts availability to start out. It makes it a lot easier to keep interested. A couple of my good racing buddies keep trying the obscure brands only to sit on the sidelines for a couple weeks waiting for parts.
Do a little research at the local track and see what brands and models of stuff the fast guys are using. Not just cars but all the other stuff, radios, servos, chargers, and tools. Buy the good stuff so you only have to buy it once. If you don't stick with it, you'll get most of your money back and if you do stick with it you only have to buy it once instead of upgrading later.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

mdl060374, I did the same approach 3-4 years back and after buying a "recommended" dark impact from Tamiya at my local shop, I went to a RTR lazer ZX5 that I equipped in the time with hopups when parts were broken.

The ZX5 RTR is very basic, but I like the fact that you can have parts either online or in local shops here in Europe.

If you want more competition, the FS versions are for you.

However, I don't know if you can get spares as easily at your place, and that counts, even if you're not racing.
It's so annoying to have the car unable to run due to short of spares...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thank you everyone for the responses.

This has given me enough ideas that I can work with.. I appreciate the input.