Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting Back into the game the right way? >

Getting Back into the game the right way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Back into the game the right way?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Getting Back into the game the right way?

Hello, I have been retired from recreational RC for 15 years. I still have my Losi XXT, but the Trans Gear is smoked, and could use some other items. I can only assume that I should upgrade to a newer model? May I have some feedback on what electric buggy has the most affordable & available parts? Aside: I am also planning to get my 5 yr old son addicted, so we can escape to Saturday races. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

it all depends on what you wanna run, 1/10 1/8 truck, buggy, short course, if you want a good cheap rtr that actually is competitive id check out the associated rc10b4.1 and the rc10t4.1 RTR s they come with brushless systems already installed, the buggy is about 2-25o depending on where you get it and i think the truck is like 10-20 more than that,, iv had mne and only raced it a handfull of times, and it handles very well and is very competitive outta the box, it just wont hit speeds as fast as the 600 dollar custom built buggies when it goes down the straight, but a gearing change can get you somewhat close

most of the parts for these can be ordered everywhere and are very cheap,, all i have broken so far is a tie rod end, which were upgraded for 3 dollars to RPMs that are twice as thick,, a arms and maybe shock towers are all you should need
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vettola
Hello, I have been retired from recreational RC for 15 years. I still have my Losi XXT, but the Trans Gear is smoked, and could use some other items. I can only assume that I should upgrade to a newer model? May I have some feedback on what electric buggy has the most affordable & available parts? Aside: I am also planning to get my 5 yr old son addicted, so we can escape to Saturday races. Thank you.
I'd get to the local track where you plan to attend races and see what most people there are running. The local "hot" ride would be the best place to start because the most hands-on help will be available and probably the most parts for that brand as well. There are many options for all the gear you need but ask around and buy the good stuff the first time around. If you don't stay in the hobby you'll get most of your money back when you sell it, and if you do stay in the hobby you won't have to buy it twice.
Good Luck