R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Lapped Traffic? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/435745-lapped-traffic.html)

Neu_Racer 09-18-2010 09:20 AM

Lapped Traffic?

Say you pull over because 2nd or 3rd place is about to lap you and the person then crashes letting you past them, they catch back up to you and you pull over again only to have them crash in front of you again.......

After the first time of this happening are you really obligated to pull over for them a 2nd or even 3rd time? I only ask because this happened to me in stock truck and there ended up being only a 7 second spread between 2nd place and me in 4th my first time out.

Just wondering what the general consensus is of being competitive but not a jerk because I'd rather lose a race than be seen as an @$$hole but I think I was justified in being a little irritated about it.

bjholz 09-18-2010 09:32 AM

Hows he lapping if he is crashing so much? Just do your thing. Slow n steady will win over fast and crashy

tschenck 09-18-2010 09:45 AM

I will do it twice for them. After that, they have to find there own line to get around.

A lot of times if I am going to let someone by I don't pull over I just go wide and will let them know I am going to do it or come out of a corner slow so they can make an easy pass. This way it doesn't slow me down that much but still allows the fast guys by.

Neu_Racer 09-18-2010 10:31 AM

It was a decent battle for everyone between 2nd and 5th and we were all crashing a lot. It's stock truck so not exactly experts there but still a lot of fun.

The guy happened to be a buddy of mine so I'm not carrying a chip on my shoulder or anything but I haven't been racing very long so wanted to know what the norm is at other tracks. I generally don't pull over and stop either but will make it easy for them to get around.

klaymon 09-18-2010 10:53 AM

I definitely never stop, but I'll take a wide line to let someone by. If I see they're not exactly running me over, I'll just keep pushing along and see if they take me.

zanernator 09-18-2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer (Post 7955384)
It was a decent battle for everyone between 2nd and 5th and we were all crashing a lot. It's stock truck so not exactly experts there but still a lot of fun.

The guy happened to be a buddy of mine so I'm not carrying a chip on my shoulder or anything but I haven't been racing very long so wanted to know what the norm is at other tracks. I generally don't pull over and stop either but will make it easy for them to get around.

After watching u guys last night just hold your line if there good enough they will go around you. :spidey:

Jason Pelletier 09-18-2010 11:33 AM

You getting lapped...... get out of the way. It's the way racing works. If you were in second and the other guy was getting lapped you would want be let by wouldn't you ?

twigman08 09-18-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RB FIVE (Post 7955533)
You getting lapped...... get out of the way. It's the way racing works. If you were in second and the other guy was getting lapped you would want be let by wouldn't you ?

I don't ever expect anyone to let me by. I might ask them on the drivers stand to let them know that I am lapping them to see if they do. But I don't ever expect them to just move over for me. IMO, if I'm lapping someone I should be good enough already to get passed them just as fast without them moving over for me. It's the faster guys responsibility to make a clean pass. That's how it is in ALL forms of racing. After all we are RACING.

porkchop 09-18-2010 12:00 PM

i will let them go once if you crash and i pass them find away around me on the outside because if you take me out your shit coming off broke :lol:

zanernator 09-18-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by twigman08 (Post 7955571)
I don't ever expect anyone to let me by. I might ask them on the drivers stand to let them know that I am lapping them to see if they do. But I don't ever expect them to just move over for me. IMO, if I'm lapping someone I should be good enough already to get passed them just as fast without them moving over for me. It's the faster guys responsibility to make a clean pass. That's how it is in ALL forms of racing. After all we are RACING.

+1

neobart 09-18-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by twigman08 (Post 7955571)

Uhmmmm what do you think the blue flag in formula racing is for? it's to tell a slower racer to get the f*** out of the way. :D

turbowop 09-18-2010 12:20 PM

I hate getting caught up in lapped traffic. They're usually being lapped for a reason: they can't drive worth a damn.

Last race I was in I had just lapped a truck before going into a hairpin. So as I brake for the turn, my truck gets rear-ended by the lapped rig and punted off the lane. I got tangled up with this other rig twice. It's annoying and the announcer even made an effort to tell him to let me go since I was the second place driver at the time.

It's all in fun, and we're all racing, but if your throttle control is that horrible, please just let the more experienced drivers by.

JoeC 09-18-2010 12:24 PM

If a guy is faster he will find a way aound you. You should never stop as this will usually only cause more crashes. I would go alittle wide at some point to let them by but other than that hold your line. We are all out there racing for position and if you are always tying to get out of someone's way you are never going to finish well. It's ok to give someone room but hold your line and you will be fine. A fast, consistent racer will know how to manuver around traffic without getting bent out of shape.

kai888 09-18-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by turbowop (Post 7955643)
I hate getting caught up in lapped traffic. They're usually being lapped for a reason: they can't drive worth a damn.

Last race I was in I had just lapped a truck before going into a hairpin. So as I brake for the turn, my truck gets rear-ended by the lapped rig and punted off the lane. I got tangled up with this other rig twice. It's annoying and the announcer even made an effort to tell him to let me go since I was the second place driver at the time.

It's all in fun, and we're all racing, but if your throttle control is that horrible, please just let the more experienced drivers by.

wow u sound good, we need more people like u in this sport.......
it must be dark and lonely so far up.......

klaymon 09-18-2010 12:27 PM

No kidding. Turbowop must have some m4d tyte skillz yo!

8ight-racer 09-18-2010 12:42 PM

Here's another example. I was in first place at a big race and 5 minutes (out of 10) into the a main, I started getting caught up with lap traffic, 2nd place 15 seconds behind. I spent a few laps trying to get past, we got tangled up once or twice, and after that 2nd place was right before me. I went a foot wide in a corner and he passed me with 1 lap left, I ended up placing 2nd.

kai888 09-18-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer (Post 7955702)
Here's another example. I was in first place at a big race and 5 minutes (out of 10) into the a main, I started getting caught up with lap traffic, 2nd place 15 seconds behind. I spent a few laps trying to get past, we got tangled up once or twice, and after that 2nd place was right before me. I went a foot wide in a corner and he passed me with 1 lap left, I ended up placing 2nd.

so second place got past the back marker without hitting each other?
i guess it just wasn't your day.

Wild Cherry 09-18-2010 12:53 PM

I'm sure its just me ...
But I have deep resentment towards any car putting me a lap down ...:D

turbowop 09-18-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by kai888 (Post 7955656)
wow u sound good, we need more people like u in this sport.......
it must be dark and lonely so far up.......

:rolleyes:

Way to take that part of my post out of context. I didn't mean it to come off so harsh, but I guess you see it that way. If you read the rest of my post you'd be hard pressed not to understand my frustration.

And for the record, I never said I was a great driver, but I'm not some kid with zero comprehension for how to control throttle/steering. We're not talking about lapped pros. We're talking about club racing where you have new-to-the-hobby kids in the same heats as the experienced guys. So yeah, they can't drive worth a damn, yet. I was no better when I was a n00b. Back to the lonely ride atop my high horse now... :sneaky:

Davidka 09-18-2010 03:19 PM

I think everyone is on the same page, if you're bing lapped then give up the inside line and a driver good enough to lap you should drive away. This happens to good drivers too, two crashes is enough to put you down enough to get lapped on a 14 second track and it's not uncommon for 1st place to lap 3rd or 4th place, both places worth protecting from the guy not lapping you. Sometimes they crash continually after being let by. If they can't keep it together there's no reason you should compromise your race because of it. If the guy keeps dorkin' it he's not going to be pissed at you for not pulling out of the way repeatedly.

mbx5rcr34 09-18-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 7955649)
If a guy is faster he will find a way aound you. You should never stop as this will usually only cause more crashes. I would go alittle wide at some point to let them by but other than that hold your line. We are all out there racing for position and if you are always tying to get out of someone's way you are never going to finish well. It's ok to give someone room but hold your line and you will be fine. A fast, consistent racer will know how to manuver around traffic without getting bent out of shape.

+1 "you should never stop " you will only cause crashes

bjholz 09-18-2010 03:45 PM

If the driver lapping is a good driver, he will take his time and find a spot to pass if need be. He is passing for a reason...he is faster and finds better lines. They will do so again. I would let them pass when time permits, but I would not go out of my way to completely blow my line

racer1812 09-18-2010 04:20 PM

Not gonna post on weather you should or shouldn't move over for faster driver but if you're going to move over let them know when and where. That way they know that your moving over for them to pass and that you're not just out of control causing them to make a risky move that might cause them a race. Fast guys are fast for a reason, be nice to them and they'll be nice to you, on and off the track. It's a lot easier to get help from them off the track when you're nice to them on the track.

z50king 09-18-2010 05:51 PM

I always let leaders by. I practiced for months before I ever entered a race at a crowded track. Now that I am lapping people, I appreciate when people move offline to let me by as a leader

Justin B 09-18-2010 06:10 PM

I'll go wide and slow down....the first time.

brickshouse 09-18-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by turbowop (Post 7955643)

+1, its not lonely, theres a whole bunch of us up here, just keep tryin......even better when they run into ya and u break

kai888 09-18-2010 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by turbowop (Post 7956043)
:rolleyes:

Way to take that part of my post out of context. I didn't mean it to come off so harsh, but I guess you see it that way. If you read the rest of my post you'd be hard pressed not to understand my frustration.

And for the record, I never said I was a great driver, but I'm not some kid with zero comprehension for how to control throttle/steering. We're not talking about lapped pros. We're talking about club racing where you have new-to-the-hobby kids in the same heats as the experienced guys. So yeah, they can't drive worth a damn, yet. I was no better when I was a n00b. Back to the lonely ride atop my high horse now... :sneaky:

if you were no better when you were a "noob" then why are you bitching about the noobs? and since you were a noob once you should know better that most of the beginners have no car control as you said and 99.99% of the time its when the new guys trying to get out of the way that causes the accidents.

I think you should be bitching to your club about having beginners mixed with intermediate classes rather than about the "noobs" with no car control screwing up your race.

maybe its the way the toliet flushes down under but at every club race i've been to the beginners were told to hold their line and don't make erratic movements to get out of the way because "pro's" like yourself shouldn't have a problem getting past.

the high horse is sure a lonely place but it certainly isn't dark, you need to look behind closer to home ;)

Derry 09-18-2010 08:55 PM

trying to stay in front of someone that is faster usually just ends up in a wreck. It only takes maybe half a sec off a lap to go a little wide in a corner to let them by. if you are as fast or faster then them and just had a really bad start it's a different story. I usually will even let someone by for position if I know they are faster just to avoid a wreck. Then just pray to god someone takes them out!:eek:

mickeymouse93 09-18-2010 08:58 PM

I am glad to see that this subject is being brought up. I can tell you that honestly I would rather have the lapper hold his line and not make him self so wide. There's a reason why ur being lapped, hahaha prob because u blow out corners or jumps, so I am willin to bet you will do it again, opening the door and lettin me by. Now if first second and third and trainin and coming through, you should pull over. Lapped traffic can be the cause of some one loosing a race. So pull over. And if u ur self is haviing a race for position other then top spot, ur announcer should call it out for u guys to go wide

turbowop 09-18-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by kai888 (Post 7957076)
if you were no better when you were a "noob" then why are you bitching about the noobs?

I got the hell out of the way when I was a noob. That isn't something that comes along with skill, it's common courtesy. You don't have to be an expert driver to realize when a faster guy is passing you or to know that you shouldn't rear-end them at full speed mid corner in an attempt to get their unlapped position back.

Maybe you condone this type of activity and that's why you're harping on my reply so bad? You act as though I created this thread just to bitch about noobs. All I did was add my experience to it. Y SO SRS? :lol:

jnyrcr 09-18-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 7955628)
Uhmmmm what do you think the blue flag in formula racing is for? it's to tell a slower racer to get the f*** out of the way. :D

Courtesy only.

kai888 09-18-2010 09:18 PM

your absolutely right, i condone people getting rammed, and punted off, i'm surprised you don't share my view since nascar is so big over in the states? :rolleyes:

turbowop 09-18-2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by kai888 (Post 7957151)
your absolutely right, i condone people getting rammed, and punted off, i'm surprised you don't share my view since nascar is so big over in the states? :rolleyes:

:confused:

Now I'm a fan of Nascar? Please feel free to untwist your panties and pull your head from your ass. Thx.

Rootar 09-18-2010 09:57 PM

i would never expect some to move over but i like to call on the stand and have others call on the stand when they are coming up on traffic, for one reason alone....... so maybe the "lapper" will be extra careful after the pass is made by the leader not to accidentally take them out when they try to run on pace ;)

WillD 09-18-2010 10:24 PM

Lapping traffic can be a royal PITA....but it's one of the challenges of being fast.

I agree that if you're about to be lapped then let him pass by either going out of your line a little or just let up on the throttle slightly. Sure it sucks if you're the one being lapped, but don't try and race the guy and end up crashing him or yourself.

Often the people being lapped are less experienced (or have a crap setup) and as a result can be all over the track and have no real line. Accidents at times are inevitable and just a fact of racing. Since some people like to make an example of Formula 1, a lot of crashes there are a result of other cars' actions....same goes in RC.

twigman08 09-18-2010 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by neobart (Post 7955628)

True, though in some forms of racing, and depends on what the sanctioning body rules are, the blue flag is there only to let them know that the leader is coming. My blue flag is the warning.

I don't think it is required to ever move until the blue flag with yellow striped is waved, and I rarely see that being waved.

scooterboy 09-19-2010 01:43 AM

I dont expect anyone to get out of my way and let me past, but what really winds me up is when you lap someone and they then try to race you and end up wiping you out :flaming::flaming:

twigman08 09-19-2010 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by scooterboy (Post 7957590)
I dont expect anyone to get out of my way and let me past, but what really winds me up is when you lap someone and they then try to race you and end up wiping you out :flaming::flaming:

Though for a beginner it could be really hard to know exactly even who the leader is. At some tracks for a beginner, the track is just really crowded and they have a hard enough time just paying attention to just their truck. They don't realize who is behind them or in front of them in positions. They are just out there.

But yes, that can be really annoying.

AMorgan 09-19-2010 06:56 AM

This whole letting people around when you're being lapped is news to me. On the off chance that I get an opportunity to lap someone, I think of it just like passing someone for a better position, I have to find my own line. If I'm running well enough to lap, I'm running well enough to pass without a pull over. Doesn't mean that I should go barreling into someone and then take off, but a lot of times I'll wait a turn or two for an opportunity and shoot a gap.

Neu_Racer 09-19-2010 08:25 AM

Seems like a few mixed reviews and I surely didn't expect 3 pages in the first day! :lol:
Consensus is about the same though. I've lapped and been lapped depending on what track I race at so it's hard. I agree that "racing" someone who's a lap down can be annoying but why should the slower person have to run even slower on purpose? If the guy is lapping he should be able to pull ahead quickly enough to not be in the same corners as the person he just put down.