Wiki Posts
Search

1/10th 2WD buggy vs 2WD Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/10th 2WD buggy vs 2WD Truck

As per above I am going to return to off road. I currently race on road and previously raced off road 4wd buggy (about 12 years ago).

I am planning to run 2wd this time around but I cant decide between a buggy or a truck.

Firstly other than the bigger front wheels and body what are the differences as the buggys and trucks appear to share the same chassi, gearbox, diff, slipper clutch?

Which 2wd buggy or 2wd truck is better to race, I have heard the trucks sometimes referred to as easy and well suited to beginners but nowhere near the level in terms of driver skill as a buggy? I am planning on fun and competitive club racing only and perhaps the odd interclub event but not state or nation events.

Which is more expensive in the long run, the trucks appear to be more expensive to purchase but are the on going cost tyres parts the same?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

are you talking short course truck or stadium truck? I had bought my boys a couple of traxxas slash's and sold them after 3 weeks and bought them SC10's. Associated makes a much better product and the trucks are not even in the same ballpark as a traxxas..
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

I am referring to Stadium Trucks.

What I am considering purchasing is RB5 or RT5, B4.1 or T4.1.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Buggies are more difficult to drive but, when you get the lines right they are more fun in my opinion. Price is real close to the same. Around here, the truck class really faded to nothing when short course took off so there in no more stadium class at my local tracks. I would go to your local track on race day and get in to whatever there is a bigger class that will stick around! Racing is no fun by yourself!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

There isn't a lot of either atm in 2wd but buggy does appear to have a few more numbers, the by far biggest class is 4wd buggy followed by SC.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Take a look at the TQ racing products, they are very reasonable and the support is great!!!!!! Here's the link for thier store or also check with your LHS to see if they carry the product.
http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...ing/StoreFront
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozenpod
There isn't a lot of either atm in 2wd but buggy does appear to have a few more numbers, the by far biggest class is 4wd buggy followed by SC.
Around here, my guess on an averege is...
2wd 13.5 7 drivers
2wd mod 10 drivers (most of which are 13.5 guys sneaking into a 2nd class)
4wd mod 6 drivers
2wd mod shortcourse 18 drivers
4wd mod shortcourse 7 drivers
1/8 e-truggy 5 drivers
1/8 e-buggy 20 drivers

I still think that for the money, 2wd buggy is the best. Most run B4 or 4.1 and a lot run the Kyosho now and are winning races with it. One guy drives a Losi and lays the smack down with it but I think he'd be fast with a radio shack car!
I run a B4 for the simple fact that any hobby shop at any track is going to have parts for it!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

2wheel truck or SC will reward a good driver.

2wheel buggy will make you that driver.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozenpod
As per above I am going to return to off road. I currently race on road and previously raced off road 4wd buggy (about 12 years ago).

I am planning to run 2wd this time around but I cant decide between a buggy or a truck.

Firstly other than the bigger front wheels and body what are the differences as the buggys and trucks appear to share the same chassi, gearbox, diff, slipper clutch?

Which 2wd buggy or 2wd truck is better to race, I have heard the trucks sometimes referred to as easy and well suited to beginners but nowhere near the level in terms of driver skill as a buggy? I am planning on fun and competitive club racing only and perhaps the odd interclub event but not state or nation events.

Which is more expensive in the long run, the trucks appear to be more expensive to purchase but are the on going cost tyres parts the same?

It all depends on your local track or where you are going to be racing, check there first. Some ppl will say stadium truck is dead, and others will say buggy is dead. Just go for what has good turnouts at YOUR track. That will always be the best bet! As far as driving... You race on-road so driving skills are pretty good, so you can step in and run whatever you want and be pretty good off the bat! I prefer truck imho, truck is soooo much more forgiving than buggy but I also race in that class too! You could always just get both and run whichever one has the best turnout!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mad_about_losi
Take a look at the TQ racing products, they are very reasonable and the support is great!!!!!! Here's the link for thier store or also check with your LHS to see if they carry the product.
http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...ing/StoreFront
LHS doesn't stock them but I will look into them thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dickie doyle
Around here, my guess on an averege is...
I still think that for the money, 2wd buggy is the best. Most run B4 or 4.1 and a lot run the Kyosho now and are winning races with it. One guy drives a Losi and lays the smack down with it but I think he'd be fast with a radio shack car!
I run a B4 for the simple fact that any hobby shop at any track is going to have parts for it!

I am looking into numbers, still awaiting feedback. But yes with those numbers 2wd buggy would be the way to go.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thecman26
It all depends on your local track or where you are going to be racing, check there first. Some ppl will say stadium truck is dead, and others will say buggy is dead. Just go for what has good turnouts at YOUR track. That will always be the best bet! As far as driving... You race on-road so driving skills are pretty good, so you can step in and run whatever you want and be pretty good off the bat! I prefer truck imho, truck is soooo much more forgiving than buggy but I also race in that class too! You could always just get both and run whichever one has the best turnout!
At my local tracks 2WD truck and buggy is supposedly dieing which I find hard to believe.

As you have suggested if the numbers are low I have to go with what is strongest.

Thanks for everyones input but I have a couple more questions.

Can anyone comment on the driving differences between between buggy and truck?

From what I have seen 2WD buggies look small missiles very agile if they are driven right but easily upset by rough track loosing speed quickly if the driver didn't get it dead right.

Where as the trucks seem to be more forgiving on the rough stuff and appeared to be driven harder from an spectator view point.

Trucks could carry more corner speed when it wasn't super smooth and seemed to be able to put more power down whilst turning.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Seems like you've got the jist of things. Trucks are much easier to drive., however with the same motor a truck is slower acceleration wise.

Another thing to take into account is the fact that buggies are much more sensitive to setup changes.

Our track has 17-22sec lap times for excellent drivers depending on layout. I can get 16ish laps in a race with buggy and 17ish laps with a truck.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

personally I'd go with the buggy. I have both an associated b4.1, and a t4. when I go race at my local track there's never a 2wd truck class. I'm seriously thinking about converting my t4 to a jconcepts j82 1/8th scale 2wd buggy, I'll get more use out of it. and I totally love my b4.1 buggy, Ialso own an sc10 and I drive ny b4.1 better than my sc10.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Looks like a buggy is going to be the next car.

Next question is, there are a couple of new mid motor 2wd buggies which appears to be the first new inovation in a long time.

Question is are they better or worse than a rear mounted motor.

I'm sure they will be better balanced and handle better around corners but is there going to be traction issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.