Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Pinion gears for electric motors mesh with what? >

Pinion gears for electric motors mesh with what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pinion gears for electric motors mesh with what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Pinion gears for electric motors mesh with what?

I'm used to nitro spurs and clutch bells, so this is all a bit new to me. I've tried to find some pinion and spur that will fit perfectly, but there are only some listed with the pitch. Most of em just state the number of teeth.

But, will a pinion designed for an el motor mesh with any nitro spur gear? (If it's the correct pinion of course.)

Reason I'm asking is because I'm gonna place an el motor in a nitro conversion. Was wondering about the details of the spur and pinions for an el setup.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You need a mod-series pinion gear, they're used in most nitro-to-electric buggy and truggy conversions. Unfortunately, that's my full knowledge on the subject. Wish I could help you track down a mod pinion gear manufacturer :-/
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Nitro vehicles (in general) use Mod 1 pitch gears. They are pretty common now.....not so common for r/c when I started selling custom gearing 9 years ago for brushless conversions. Castle Creations and Novak have them made/packaged for them. If you are meshing with a hardened steel center spur, I suggest you look for a nylon or delrin replacement. If not, expensive hardened pinions are called for.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. Do the various pitches actually serve a purpose? Like, why not just stick with 1 pitch for the entire market?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe it has to do with a trade off between noise and contact area of the different pitches
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

The different pitches do serve a purpose. There is a big difference between a 1/12 scale pan car and a 1/8 offroad buggy for example. A 1/12 scale benefits from the smoother running and finer gearing adjustments offered by the smaller 64 pitch gears. An 1/8 scale needs the strength of the larger gear teeth. 1/10 offroad falls in the middle so generally uses 48 pitch.

Now Imperial vs. Metric systems, well can’t help you there, it is what it is.