Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
You have never seen anything like this before. >

You have never seen anything like this before.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You have never seen anything like this before.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
thats funny, cause your not a hobby shop and thats what he is starting, so your bashing on a potential dealer, not a competitor.
Bingo!

And even still, I don't do anywhere NEAR the volume in HK lipos that you do. In fact, I bet you do far more in one day than I do in a month.

And by the way, I AM a dealer for your company but after realizing average Joe Blow off the street can get the same "discount" with your member reward program as I can as a licensed and registered business owner I stopped buying from you. You don't see Traxxas, AE, etc undercutting their own dealers to make an extra buck do ya? It's hard to support a company who won't support the people who should be the ones making them successful. Or at least cut the dealers more than the 20% off retail! I know your profit margins are plenty high enough to do that.

I assure you me and my $800 Chinese Lipo order is not a threat to your company in the least. In fact, I praised you for the technology and being the first out with it wishing you luck.
I simply disagreed with you saying "you get what you pay for."

Either way, we will each continue what we're doing and hopefully we can both succeed. But I'm not bashing your company for being unnecessarily expensive anymore than you are bashing HK for pricing lipos where they should be.

Last edited by Neu_Racer; 07-28-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Mind=blown.

Anyway, ThunderbirdJunkie, owning two Orion 2s hardcase packs and two Zippy hardcase packs, sees no performance difference with the Orions V. the Zippys.

Orions are 3400 and 3800mah, so obviously they offer a hair less runtime than the Zippy 4000mah batteries.

ThunderbirdJunkie also respects MaxAmps for not simply being a relabel/reseller. They actually build the packs in-house and employ AMERICANS to do so.

This is something that should NOT be overlooked, especially in today's economy.

You guys may not realize this, but even those of us who are unemployed can no longer afford to NOT support our country's economy. You go to your laptop that's made in China to look for a job in the US?

Just sayin'...while the economic issue goes far further than any of us like, and while we can't help the idiotic laws that put us in this position, it IS something to think about.

ThunderbirdJunkie's next lipo purchase may or may not be from MaxAmps. It may be ThunderPower (most likely, TBH), it may be from SMC, it might even be from Hong Kong.

The point is, we still need to spend money in OUR country.
Maybe I'm tired because I just woke up, but are you seriously referring to yourself in the third person?

And by the way, quit bashing on Maxamps! They make good stuff. So what if it's more expensive? You get what you pay for, right? If anyone needs to be bashed on, it's Turnigy, Zippy, and all those other terrible $20 Li-pos out there.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

looks like the new packs are up on the website now:

My question is this, when I configured a pack for 4S and connector, its price was $170 ish. What about this packs makes it significantly cheaper than a similar 5250 4S pack in either softcase or hardcase?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
looks like the new packs are up on the website now:

My question is this, when I configured a pack for 4S and connector, its price was $170 ish. What about this packs makes it significantly cheaper than a similar 5250 4S pack in either softcase or hardcase?
That is a great question.

When I set the pricing in these cells, I knew that we would have to be very competitive on the price so that people would give them a shot. I have also negotiated lower pricing with our factory on these cells due to the higher volume we expect to do.

Most guys purchase the 6500 7.4v packs now over the 5250 packs so the 5250 is not a high volume cell for us. With this new MV5250 pack, we expect it to be much higher volume. The pack is also much simpler to make than a standard 5250 pack because there is no balance taps and the pack will be the same every time. Any time you do custom taps/plugs it takes more time than when you just do the same thing over and over again.

It really is a great value. The 6 cell kit is $229 and a 6S 5250mah pack is $359. That puts the price of a 3 7.4v MV5250 packs at around $75 each.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by taco94
Maybe I'm tired because I just woke up, but are you seriously referring to yourself in the third person?

And by the way, quit bashing on Maxamps! They make good stuff. So what if it's more expensive? You get what you pay for, right? If anyone needs to be bashed on, it's Turnigy, Zippy, and all those other terrible $20 Li-pos out there.
My terrible $20 lipos are kicking butt in 4 cars in 3 separate race classes and I can afford to take my kids out to a well deserved dinner after each race, and can afford to maintain 4 cars in race ready condition and constantly keep them updated to be competitive, all because I run terrible $20 lipos. Guess I will give all that up, tell the kids they can't race anymore all to support someone I never met, sorry my kids come first.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

do you have any preliminary dimensions on what a 14.8V setup for 1/8 scale for these new packs will be? Reason I ask is some vehicles are more space challenged than others.

Also, will these submitted for ROAR approval?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by taco94

They are not just "more expensive " , they are a freakin` rip off . Always have and probably always will be .

As for the "terrible $20 lipos" they perform just as good and better then some of my $100+ lipos .
Old 07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chip73
My terrible $20 lipos are kicking butt in 4 cars in 3 separate race classes and I can afford to take my kids out to a well deserved dinner after each race, and can afford to maintain 4 cars in race ready condition and constantly keep them updated to be competitive, all because I run terrible $20 lipos. Guess I will give all that up, tell the kids they can't race anymore all to support someone I never met, sorry my kids come first.
There is no point in arguing with those people who swear Zippy is garbage. And honestly, the hobby needs them so let em be. I'll stick with my $15-$20 packs that last for years and be happy.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I' am not on this tread to bash MA. This new product is a great new idea and will defiantly have its buyers, specially bigger scale where they will need lots of battery. But I look at MA as a Cadillac dealership. Some people want the best product out there and they are willing to pay for it or they can afford it. But the biggest percent of the people in this sport can only afford a Chevy, Ford or Kia. So Maxamps should listen to these people and understand there point of view on why they buy cheap batteries. Like the guy who spends the rest of his money on family meals after racing. Its always going to be like this because of people losing jobs and more company's moving to Mexico or overseas. Maxamps should listen to the majority and make a decision whether they want to have a Ford or Chevy brand of battery. If you don't want to sell Chevy's then just live with your decision to sell Cadillacs. The final decision when it comes to buying a battery is MONEY and these kids with a 200.00 RTR they got for Christmas are going to buy the cheapest thing they can afford.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by speeddaddy
I' am not on this tread to bash MA. This new product is a great new idea and will defiantly have its buyers, specially bigger scale where they will need lots of battery. But I look at MA as a Cadillac dealership. Some people want the best product out there and they are willing to pay for it or they can afford it. But the biggest percent of the people in this sport can only afford a Chevy, Ford or Kia. So Maxamps should listen to these people and understand there point of view on why they buy cheap batteries. Like the guy who spends the rest of his money on family meals after racing. Its always going to be like this because of people losing jobs and more company's moving to Mexico or overseas. Maxamps should listen to the majority and make a decision whether they want to have a Ford or Chevy brand of battery. If you don't want to sell Chevy's then just live with your decision to sell Cadillacs. The final decision when it comes to buying a battery is MONEY and these kids with a 200.00 RTR they got for Christmas are going to buy the cheapest thing they can afford.

Unfortunately its more like buying a Cadillac at the dealership when all they do is slap the same emblem on the same Honda I bought for less than 25% of the price. your buying the same thing, just with a different emblem
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Bingo!

You don't see Traxxas, AE, etc undercutting their own dealers to make an extra buck do ya?

Selling to internet dealers is undercutting thier own dealers. I doubt that A-main hobbies pays the same $$ for kits as Joe's Hobby Shop down the street.

I don't support Max Amps because of Jason either. A couple of years ago we had a discussion about hardcases. His stance was that they were completely unnecessary and condoned the use of dented and creased cells with lots of rude, uncalled for discussion filler in between. The ingenuine "C" rating strategy is also a turn off. There is not a measuring standard but at least everyone else has agreed that constant "C" rating is the way to go. This reminds me of the NiMH days when everyone would change the discharge amps to avoid direct comparison with their competitors.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Selling to internet dealers is undercutting thier own dealers. I doubt that A-main hobbies pays the same $$ for kits as Joe's Hobby Shop down the street.

I don't support Max Amps because of Jason either. A couple of years ago we had a discussion about hardcases. His stance was that they were completely unnecessary and condoned the use of dented and creased cells with lots of rude, uncalled for discussion filler in between. The ingenuine "C" rating strategy is also a turn off. There is not a measuring standard but at least everyone else has agreed that constant "C" rating is the way to go. This reminds me of the NiMH days when everyone would change the discharge amps to avoid direct comparison with their competitors.
That is true about the dealers. Except I have NEVER been in or even heard of a LHS that stocks MaxAmps products.
Also, A Main pays the exact same price for a kit that any other shop does. It's the distributor that sets the price, not the manufacturer. Some distributors have incentive programs for shops that have been around longer which adjusts the margins slightly overall it's the same price.

I would LOVE to see the thread where Jason does that. I bet if you said something now he'd be all pissed at you denying it.
He also deletes any threads in his forum once he looks bad enough. He must be related to the owner or something. Anyone else would have been fired long ago.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

seems like the answer may be here
http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=260171
Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's a cool idea no doubt but one guy on RCZ had a good point about the dangers of setting a pack down on a toolbox or some type of metal and having them short out. You will defiantly need to pay close attention when playing with these packs. These are way out of my price range so I will not be enjoying this life altering technology. However knowing how the Chinese work, I can see them copying this idea and having something for us poor folks in a matter of months.

And unless they have a hard case version, this will not be ROAR approved.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i think each cell is hard cased

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.