Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B4.1 FT/WC

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJMac
Yeah they still use them on the TC4 Club Racer. The TC6.1 uses a newer version (VCS3) but I don't know if they work with FT off road shocks.
Awe... not an onroad guy. Too civilized for me. If i remember correctly didnt those also have a foam insert?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Awe... not an onroad guy. Too civilized for me. If i remember correctly didnt those also have a foam insert?
Oh hell no. I tried 1/12 scale once. Not my bag...at all.

Yeah they do. Newest version doesn't have the foam....I think.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Bolten
Just so you know it's not machined Delrin. And your correct. $18 is alot which is why AE makes the stock ones they way thay do. Its cheaper to make a spacer out of cheap plastic but it does not do the job it needs to do. Next time you have your shocks appart install the stock spacer without the orings. Now move the shock shaft side to side. You will then understand how much side force your orings are trying to control.

This is the reason for a true shock bushing. It does all the work of controling the shock shaft leaving the orings to do what they were designed to do. Seal.

They are expencive. Some good things are. Look at the price of the ProLine DLC shock shafts. Expencive yes. But the fact is they work!

Just to give you an idea the material I use for the bushings has a .05 coefficient of friction. DLC coated shaft has a .02 coefficient. Delrin has a
.25 coefficient. The stock Spacer material if it were to touch the shaft has a .38 coefficient.

Orings "stiction" on the shock shaft increases with the amount of presure that they squeeze the shaft. With the stock spacers you have high amounts of oring compresion. Because the stock spacer has excesive clearance it lets the shaft move in a lateral force. This lateral or side force causes the oring to compress increasing its "stiction" Having a correctly suported shock shaft prevents this compresion of the shock oring.

Sorry for the winded explination... LOL

John
Thanks John for educating us. Just a little fyi, ive spent more then it would cost to do 4 shocks on my old 22 out of kyosho spacers which took a lot of time to carefully machine down and they were not as good of quality. I cant wait to get my FactoryOne spacers
Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just so you know it's not machined Delrin. And your correct. $18 is alot which is why AE makes the stock ones they way thay do. Its cheaper to make a spacer out of cheap plastic but it does not do the job it needs to do. Next time you have your shocks appart install the stock spacer without the orings. Now move the shock shaft side to side. You will then understand how much side force your orings are trying to control.

This is the reason for a true shock bushing. It does all the work of controling the shock shaft leaving the orings to do what they were designed to do. Seal.

They are expencive. Some good things are. Look at the price of the ProLine DLC shock shafts. Expencive yes. But the fact is they work!

Just to give you an idea the material I use for the bushings has a .05 coefficient of friction. DLC coated shaft has a .02 coefficient. Delrin has a
.25 coefficient. The stock Spacer material if it were to touch the shaft has a .38 coefficient.

Orings "stiction" on the shock shaft increases with the amount of presure that they squeeze the shaft. With the stock spacers you have high amounts of oring compresion. Because the stock spacer has excesive clearance it lets the shaft move in a lateral force. This lateral or side force causes the oring to compress increasing its "stiction" Having a correctly suported shock shaft prevents this compresion of the shock oring.

Sorry for the winded explination... LOL

John
Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you measure the coefficient of friction of shafts and spacers?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

Thanks for those who offered real help. FYI, the AE guy on you tube was shown using bladders in the V2 shocks that had the bleeder caps........ JUST FYI.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hU6B9Z62hw

BTW, for those who didn't read all my posts, I DID have the manual in front of me, soooooooo.........
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OptimumRC
Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you measure the coefficient of friction of shafts and spacers?
Its a general statement from the type of material used.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagnat
Thanks for those who offered real help. FYI, the AE guy on you tube was shown using bladders in the V2 shocks that had the bleeder caps........ JUST FYI.

BTW, for those who didn't read all my posts, I DID have the manual in front of me, soooooooo.........
Did you open it and read it?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Bladders?????
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its a general statement from the type of material used.
Ah, that makes more sense, because I could imagine measuring the drag of each of those would be very difficult due to their size.

One think I would note that it does not sound like you accounted was how silicone oil, or even green slime significantly reduces coefficient of friction. So the material choice may be less important but the function of the bushing to support and ensure shock shaft concentricity is VERY IMPORTANT!

Looks like a good product!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

He didnt have bladders in there. Bleeders dont work with bladders.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

He was NOT using bladders in that video...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

The video you posted is the one you should build your shocks by. You sure you didn't watch the adam drake video?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OptimumRC
Ah, that makes more sense, because I could imagine measuring the drag of each of those would be very difficult due to their size.

One think I would note that it does not sound like you accounted was how silicone oil, or even green slime significantly reduces coefficient of friction. So the material choice may be less important but the function of the bushing to support and ensure shock shaft concentricity is VERY IMPORTANT!

Looks like a good product!
You are correct in the statement. Silicone oil adds to the over all workings. When MFG's test the products for coefficeint of friction they do it aganst bare metel. Adding lub improves all materials. But the material itself does lead to overall improvement in the product. As for green slime, the biggest thing it helps with is keeping the silicone orings from swelling up. Silicone orings swell in silicone oil.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

So I think I must have missed something here...how much of a lap time improvement was there by running the smoother shocks?

I build my shocks with the stock AE parts and they are really smooth.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FACTORYBUTNOT
So I think I must have missed something here...how much of a lap time improvement was there by running the smoother shocks?

I build my shocks with the stock AE parts and they are really smooth.
You should expect to see a change in lap times and over all consistency. How much of a change would depend on skill level. I noticed a difference when i corrected the issue with the shock spacers in the past on my 22, and had one of my best races the first night with them. Mine are on there way and cant wait to test them. If i had to guess you should at least notice a tenth or two in lap time improvements depending on the size of the track as the shocks should feel more consistent but overall time would be the more drastic change. Just imagine how much arm flex there is during a lap around a track and as that arm flexes and the suspension compresses its forcing the shock shaft up at an angle and if the o-ring spacer is over-sized like the stock unit its going to create extra friction and or binding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.