Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho Lazer ZX5 FS/FS2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Ok, hate waking a sleeping beast, but I am going to a big race next weekend, smooth/damp/high bite clay and am running a ZX5 FS as a wrent-awreck car in 13.5t class...
So.... Anybody got any setup tweaks? It's at GS Hobbies in Arkansas fwiw.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 03:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey all, sorry for raising this thread from the dead, am building the fs2 kit about a decade late as my first build. Both front and rear it looks like you can mount the shocks behind the shock towers, and on the rear it even has the nice oval cut out section for them to sit in. Is there any reason to run the shocks backwards? Seems odd but doable, wondering if there's some kind of performance benefit.
Khan48 likes this.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cool project! Looking up some ZX5 photos it doesn't seem too far off a "modern" 4wd buggy design despite its age.

I don't see front/rear shock position as a tuning option on the default setup sheet but that doesn't mean it can't be done? I think some associated cars had front or rear of rear arm shock mounting as an option. Not sure of the exact effect of the change as i wouldn't think the leverage points would change. Either way, I'd just build it to the kit settings.

Kit setup: https://site.petitrc.com/setup/kyosh...S_KitSetup.pdf
Old 10-13-2021, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Okay that clears a heap of things up! Definitely will need to look into different springs. Wonder if the oval cutout is a shared part with the RB5 and it makes more sense installed there? Ah well. The editable setup sheet is a great find, thank you.

Will be soldering it all up tomorrow, hopefully I make 10 posts by then to post some pictures. It's a bit scuffed but I like it
Old 10-13-2021, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You can swap the rear shocks to the front real easily, just need to flip the rear arms and add some spacers on the top shock mounts. Would help gain steering having the weight more forward from what I remember.

As for the front, the only thing I remember is swapping the front upper bulkhead, camber plate and shock tower to run the ZX6/6.6 parts. Had to do some grinding on the ZX6 bulkhead to get it to sit flat with the ZX5 parts. I can't say it was a gain in performance, but I think it was much stronger and the ZX5.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What dmcguire said. My ZX5 was great but the front bulkhead and tower was fragile. I remember limiting the front shock so on a hard slap it would not snap the tower off the bulkhead.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dmcguire
You can swap the rear shocks to the front real easily, just need to flip the rear arms and add some spacers on the top shock mounts. Would help gain steering having the weight more forward from what I remember.

As for the front, the only thing I remember is swapping the front upper bulkhead, camber plate and shock tower to run the ZX6/6.6 parts. Had to do some grinding on the ZX6 bulkhead to get it to sit flat with the ZX5 parts. I can't say it was a gain in performance, but I think it was much stronger and the ZX5.
Was the ZX6 bulkhead significantly different to the ZX5? If it's a pretty close fit (not too much plastic carpentry) that sounds like a great upgrade when the inevitable arrives.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If I remember right, it fit right on, the only grinding was to the back part of it where the ZX5 front upper deck screwed to it. But it was a few years ago. It wasn't that bad of a mod to do at all.