Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How power servo off external BEC or battery? >

How power servo off external BEC or battery?

How power servo off external BEC or battery?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default How power servo off external BEC or battery?

I was thinking of powering my servo off an external BEC or from the battery (connected to 2cells). Do I pull only the Power wire out from the 3-pin connector and connect to the positive of BEC or battery or pull both the Power and Return/Gnd wires out and connect it to the Power and Ground wires of the BEC or battery? Or is there a different way?
My servo's rated for 6-7.4V and my ESC's BEC only puts out 5.75V/3A, so I'm thinking I can get some more torque and speed if I give it 6V regulated or 7.4V unregulated.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
I was thinking of powering my servo off an external BEC or from the battery (connected to 2cells). Do I pull only the Power wire out from the 3-pin connector and connect to the positive of BEC or battery or pull both the Power and Return/Gnd wires out and connect it to the Power and Ground wires of the BEC or battery? Or is there a different way?
My servo's rated for 6-7.4V and my ESC's BEC only puts out 5.75V/3A, so I'm thinking I can get some more torque and speed if I give it 6V regulated or 7.4V unregulated.

Thanks.
Should be just the power wire.

Castle has some wiring diagrams here: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

I've run their normal BEC in the past and its been very solid.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Went through CC's site and couldn't find info on powering the servo separately. It says to remove the Pwr wire from the connector that goes into the RX if you use an external BEC, which I already know, but no info about powering a servo completely separately from the RX.

Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yes just remove the power wire from the esc connector, not the ground wire too. Then Either plug in the external bec or SEPERATE battery. I you pull off the main pack balance plug you MUST use the MOST NEGATIVE two cells for running reciever or there will be sparks flying. I know!!!

EDIT: BTW, it does make the servo's FAST when using 2 cell unreged.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JSR View Post

Thanks.
This is the way I wire all of my rock crawlers, Pos & Neg from the bec to the battery, on the rx side of the bec, pull the white wire (signal wire) and plug it into the rx for the correct channel, the pos and neg stay in the plug, plug this into the servo. Now you have what ever power your bec is set at going to your servo and not threw your rx.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
This is the way I wire all of my rock crawlers, Pos & Neg from the bec to the battery, on the rx side of the bec, pull the white wire (signal wire) and plug it into the rx for the correct channel, the pos and neg stay in the plug, plug this into the servo. Now you have what ever power your bec is set at going to your servo and not threw your rx.
Don't suppose you have a picture or that setup?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Lotsa good info here. Enjoy

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html
Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the link NitroOB4You, a ton great info there!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

I just went through this exercise with my e-firestorm using a guide found here. on the MSUK forum.

Worked well. Good luck with yours.
Attached Thumbnails How power servo off external BEC or battery?-becwiringdiagram.jpg   How power servo off external BEC or battery?-img_2271.jpg   How power servo off external BEC or battery?-img_2267.jpg   How power servo off external BEC or battery?-img_2269.jpg