Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Here it is! 1/8 Electric Taken to the Next Level! >

Here it is! 1/8 Electric Taken to the Next Level!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here it is! 1/8 Electric Taken to the Next Level!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default We need more purpose built, ground up 1/8 Electrics. Sooner the better.

I was told by many people in the RC racing industry that 1/8 scale is the most popular class of all RCs combined. Even if that was for the nitro class of RC's, Electric 1/8 scales popularity has exploded over the past two years, and the 1/8th scale Electric buggies popularity continues to grow exponentially from month to month. I think every major RC manufacturer is working on a ground up Electric 1/8 scale buggy. Or they should be working on a ground up Electric. I know I'm very happy with my Hyper 9e, and it's the furthest from a nitro conversion Buggy I've seen. And I'm most satisfied with the center diff having been moved to the rear of the buggy, just in front of the rear diff. It's a low maintnance easy to work on layout. Though it would be nice to see many more purpose built electric 1/8 scales available. It seems it's only a matter of time. I'm just glad I don't have to wait anymore. I'm very happy with the Hyper 9e.

Originally Posted by Davidka
That's a nice looking chassis conversion. 6.6lbs. sounds almost impossible, what's still missing? I don't think it's revolutionary though. Keep in mind that the reason you haven't seen a ground-up electric 1/8th car is because 1/8th electric is still too small to constitute a business for a major manufatcurer. Remember what truggies looked like in the beginning (longer chassis plates and axle extenders)? Just because they aren't doing something doesn't mean they can't.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It may be the most popular form of racing but if you look at how frequently RC tracks come and go it puts things in perspective. Racing is a very small part of R/C cars as a business and electric is still a small fraction of 1/8th scale. It has a long way to go before it becomes popular enough for a company to bet on a ground up, dedicated electric 1/8th platform. The opportunity right now is for guys like the OP who can do better conversions than the big companies are willing to do right now.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
+1
I like the idea of the motor being in the front.
That should give it a better weight balance ratio.
+1
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Team Tekin

You definitely need a rear chassis brace on that car. And velcro on the batts, I don't think that would hold very well. We all take some tumbles during a heat/race and I think those would come loose. They still need to be in a tray with straps.

Cool idea though, it does look pretty good!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MindThoughts
you click/snap the battery with tray into the buggy and that's where the battery connacts underneath the tray. Guess the idea is kinda like a tray within a tray, and they lock together and the contacts for the battery connect between the two trays.
I had a design just like this drawn up some time ago (nearly a year probably now), but when I gauged around for interest at the time, most of what I heard was "I can change batteries as quick as the nitro guys fuel, so I don't see the need for it", so I gave up prototyping the design. I don't know how they could be so quick (assuming the claims were real) as I'm pretty slow on battery changes, but there wasn't enough interest at the time for me to make the investment. Perhaps now, but I lack the time these days.

Very impressive work on the chassis and so much effort put into it. I agree with the chassis brace or an upper deck.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mechanical brakes? Need that option in 1/8th me thinks.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
Na, they really haven't become that popular with E-1/8ths. The small advantage of brake bias just doesn't seem to outweigh the disadvantages of more moving parts, brake fade and the weight that comes with them.

I like the chassis design! I was thinking of something similar myself until I ran into the rear gearbox problem (the offset input shaft). This car can be very skinny if you use the dirt guards from a Tekno car and find someone to make a nice body for it. You could take it a step farther and do the bottom loading batteries with quick releases. That would be a good project for an engineering student.

Great job so far, keep at it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What type of CAD software did you use to create the parts? I am a ME student as well, I just finished up taking finite element analysis. we used solidworks for the metal and catia for the composites. Did you get a chance to run any kind of stress simulations on the chassis? I had a lot of fun trying to get things to fail after building them. What school do you go to? I am at Temple University in Philly. Looks like you might have you senior project already finished.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

+1 Feels so much more consitent when braking. I'm driving a 8ight-e now and the only thing is don't like is the electric brake (and the stock losi motormount).
Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+2
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The Caster Fusion is close, front motor, 2 battery trays down the center, drive shafts are straight..the center diff is not as close as what yours is to the front diff, but the way Caster did theirs it puts the motor across from the servo..I guess you didn't look hard enough..your is still good but I think it might need some form of bracing to keep the drive shafts and gears safe from the "not so gentle drivers..but nice job..oh and Caster has had the Fusion out for 3 years..so the "ideas" have been out there..the big boys just believe that theirs not enough money in electric to warent a whole new design when the conversions are not really much slower..their opinion not mine..
Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I will just write here instead of PMing you. I suggest you take a closer look at the Caster Racing Fusion. Everything we did is for a reason. I will say that you get an A for effort and I personally think it is great doing what you did, but in reality, all you did was turn a Losi into a Caster that has the motor flipped the other way with the diff placed up front which will create issues that I think you will notice after getting some run time at several different tracks.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Well, I will just write here instead of PMing you. I suggest you take a closer look at the Caster Racing Fusion. Everything we did is for a reason. I will say that you get an A for effort and I personally think it is great doing what you did, but in reality, all you did was turn a Losi into a Caster that has the motor flipped the other way with the diff placed up front which will create issues that I think you will notice after getting some run time at several different tracks.
Not even an atta boy..only Caster guy to speak up..ha
Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Oasis
Not even an atta boy..only Caster guy to speak up..ha
What does that mean? In the middle of my comment I gave him an A for effort and applauded his effort. What more should I do?

I personally think there will be issues with that design, I am keeping my comments to myself, and life goes on.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pullinteef
Looks like there might be a place for a top deck of some sort to help keep the chassis from bending too much.
That would free up room for the Receiver and transponder on top of the deck. You might even be able to mount the servo upside down from the top deck. Then you could completely customize the weight balance for different packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.