Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy diff tuning????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/8 buggy diff tuning????

Is there a place where I can read up on how different wt. fluids affect the cars handling, or can someone explain.......

I ask questions at the track and get different answers every time, so I dont know what to believe. thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here's a basic read -

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5050
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Or here http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24&page=5
Old 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow.....couple of great links here. I took alot of he information and made myself a little cheatsheet. I am still learning about diff tuning and setup and this helps a lot. Now a question.

I am just now building my RC8Te and put fluid in the center diff, just the stock 7000, but how hard should it be to twist the diff after adding fluid. The front diff is smooth, the rear is a little harder to twist but still smooth. However the center seems hard to twist by the out drives and is rough. I took it apart at least 4 time and get the same result. Does this sound right or is there something wrong still?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How many shims do you have behind the crown gear? You need at least one, if that's all you have you might just add another gasket, they not only seal the diff but adjust the pressure of the crown gear on to the spider gears. Which would be the rough notchy feeling...with new diffs I like a little notchy...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YDBD
How many shims do you have behind the crown gear? You need at least one, if that's all you have you might just add another gasket, they not only seal the diff but adjust the pressure of the crown gear on to the spider gears. Which would be the rough notchy feeling...with new diffs I like a little notchy...
Sorry, still kinda new to this, but when you say crown gear are you talking like the sun gear on a center diff. The problem I am having is on my center diff. I do have two diff washers behind my sun gear but only one gasket on the spur. The notchy feeling is exaclty what I am talking about though. So maybe adding a second gasket may be worth a try. Now that I think about it the gasket looked kinda off anyway. Like the wholes where punched off center, one of them was off the edge of the gasket. I think I will try some new gaskets as well. Thanks a lot for the info!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

crown gear-sun gear think we are talking the same here. It's the one that has a hole in the middle for the outdrive, there are two, one for each side of each diff. And the spider gears, 4 of them ride on crossed bar and mesh with the crown/sun gear.

Add another gasket on to the spur plate, or remove one of the shims from under the pin. Should take out the notchiness....