Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Havoc 3s/HV4.5 First Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Default Novak Havoc 3s/HV4.5 First Test

When Novak announced the 550 Ballistic motor for 4x4 SCT classes thier literature stated that this motor is compatible with the Havoc Pro, HVPro, Kinetic, and the Havoc 3s. All but the Havoc 3s are rated at 540 amp/phase current so I would not expect any issues. The Havoc 3s is rated at 120 amps/phase which seems low for the HV motors. Since I already had a Havoc 3s I decided to get the HV4.5 and try this.

I have my motor/ESC mounted into a Jammin SCRT10 with the stock 13t pinion. I changed the base set-up that comes with the Havoc 3s a bit to my liking. I prefer to manage EXP in my radio and not the ESC so I set the throttle curve to linear. I also reduced the deadband a bit.

I was having some issues with my set-up which I finally corrected by replacing my receiver after installing an external BEC. Novak Tech stated that the BEC should support my JR 9100s, AMB PT and 30mm fan but I was having voltage fluctuations during my initial testing. The External BEC fixed some of my issues but with my S3000 receiver glitching the results were the same. During heat races my ESC was resetting and steering was going. I will test without the external BEC soon to see if the Havoc internal BEC can handle my set-up.

Temps were very low everywhere. My ESC was very cool and I never measured more than 100 deg. The motor was warm to the touch after 10 minutes running on my Gravity Hobbies 5000mAH/40C battery.

If you have a Havoc 3s it will work with the HV4.5 motor. I may try the Havoc Spec with the large capacitor to see if this even works. I was very satistified that this worked without issues. I have been looking at many of the newer ESC with more PC programming options. I have been waiting to see what the Kinetic is like. Since I have not chosen which one I like better I can race with the Havoc 3s now.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nice info and input on what you have found.
I'm looking to get the HV 4.5 soon as well and already have the Havoc 3S ESC.

Chris
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snwchris
Nice info and input on what you have found.
I'm looking to get the HV 4.5 soon as well and already have the Havoc 3S ESC.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I have a few friends in the same situation. They did not want to be the first. I had no choice. I did not want to buy the Havoc Pro or HVPro cause I want the newer tech. Looks like I did the right thing since Novaktwo announced here on RCTech and on RCCarAction the new Havoc Pro SC with more programming options. That is the ESC that I was waiting for and will run my Havoc 3s until they hit the streets. In fact I want two so I can run one in my SCT Stock SC10 too.

I noticed the capacitor on the Havoc Pro SC is larger. I will check this out and post.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Not to thread jack...

Im running a 9100s in my buggy and I am getting into 4wd SCT.

I have had TONS of issues with sprektrum and these vehicles??

What are your findings running high power servo's, high power systems, and PT's all at once and having issues with glitching??

Thanks

and hope to read more from you.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OWTKAST cpt
Not to thread jack...

Im running a 9100s in my buggy and I am getting into 4wd SCT.

I have had TONS of issues with sprektrum and these vehicles??

What are your findings running high power servo's, high power systems, and PT's all at once and having issues with glitching??

Thanks

and hope to read more from you.
I posted in the Jammin SCRT Thread about my issues. The S3000 Reciever can have some issues with glitching if it gets dirt inside. I have also heard that hard impacts can cause issues too. It had issues even with a stable input voltage from an external BEC. So I swapped in a S300 and I have been OK since then. I had forgotten that this reciever had issues on me before and probably made me send my ESC to Novak when it may not have needed any upgrades. Anyway, I talked to a few guys at the track when I was having issues and they asked me if I was using the S3000 receiver from Spektrum. "You know the one in the grey case"!! And they also had many issues when using higher current servos with extra gear connected. I will open the case and see if I have debri in there but I will not install it in a race vehicle again. I don't think this is generically all Spektrum receivers, just the S3000.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've had issues with my 3100 and and old light grey case, and two transparent ones.. not sure of the number.

I was told the 3500 works great??

I have had different ESC's also so I do not believe that is the case. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I ran the MMP w/ my 4.5HV and was a little disappointed with the results. I switched to a Havok Pro and like this set up much more.

It is much smoother, easier to understand and reprogram to changing conditions and allows me to leave some my adjustments on my radio.

Thanks for the info on the 3s. I too look forward to the SC specific ESC
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Substance
I ran the MMP w/ my 4.5HV and was a little disappointed with the results. I switched to a Havok Pro and like this set up much more.

It is much smoother, easier to understand and reprogram to changing conditions and allows me to leave some my adjustments on my radio.

Thanks for the info on the 3s. I too look forward to the SC specific ESC
IF you prefer the feel of one over the other, that is finr, use what you like. That being said, the MMPro can be programmed to feel however you want it too. You can set it dead linear and use the transmitter to dial in your end points, expo, etc. I think the smooth feel you have with the Havok compared to the MMPro is that the MMPro is in "Smart Sense" mode. In that mode, the default, it will switch to sensorless mode once it is rolling. This transition can cause a step in the power as the timing change could be fairly dramatic. I also noticed that when I ran my 13.5 motor in smart sense, it also would not transition back to sensored unless it came to a full stop, so some rolling starts would hickup again. I ended up running that motor in sensored only mode. This made it dead smooth with no hickups of any kind. It does run a little warmer and in default timing it was not quite as powerful, but once I dialed in the "CHEAT" mode I was able to crank up the power quite a bit more, along with motor heat, so be careful and check your temps after any changes.

Now if you still really want to get rid of it... I would buy it off you for a fair price. Let me know how much you want, I would not mind having a spare.

Gary
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
I posted in the Jammin SCRT Thread about my issues. The S3000 Reciever can have some issues with glitching if it gets dirt inside. I have also heard that hard impacts can cause issues too. It had issues even with a stable input voltage from an external BEC. So I swapped in a S300 and I have been OK since then. I had forgotten that this reciever had issues on me before and probably made me send my ESC to Novak when it may not have needed any upgrades. Anyway, I talked to a few guys at the track when I was having issues and they asked me if I was using the S3000 receiver from Spektrum. "You know the one in the grey case"!! And they also had many issues when using higher current servos with extra gear connected. I will open the case and see if I have debri in there but I will not install it in a race vehicle again. I don't think this is generically all Spektrum receivers, just the S3000.
It is kinda funny this issue came up in this threadnow. I only have SR3000 RX's with my DX 3.0 I spent 3 weeks trying to track down a serious glitching problem. First up I tried a different RX, but same type, same issue. Tried a different ESC and BEC, same issue. Then I switched to an Airtronics MX SPort system, only $79 complete, and it was different, but after about dozen laps, I could once again hear the throttle stuttering and balking. After talking to several people, including Spektrum tech support, it seems it is my high power digital steering servo causing the problem. It is an Airtronics with very fast transit and torque ratings, which means it needs current to make it work. I had no problem with it for 4 months, so something happened. I checked it, and sure enough, I am seeing spikes to well over 2 amps when I steer it fast, even though it stalls out at just .8 amps, so there is something going on. I put an older Hitech dual ball bearing metal gear servo for a test and I have not had a glitch since. I will be putting the Spektrum RX back in, maybe tomorrow if I have the time, and see if it works okay with this setup. The difference with the Airtronics vs Spektrum seems to be how the RX handles power sags. The airtronics just stops making pulses to the Servo and ESC, so it coasts, the Spektrum was putting out false pulses that would make it brake and turn left.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSMnow
Now if you still really want to get rid of it... I would buy it off you for a fair price. Let me know how much you want, I would not mind having a spare.
Sold it cheap w/ the castle link... you missed out
Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

I tried to connect my Havoc 3s without the BEC again using the S300 Receiver and had some glitching so I am sticking with the External BEC for now.

The Havoc 3s ran great without issues and was cool after 5-10 minute runs. I'm so glad I didn't upgrade yet. I am very interested in the new Novak Havoc Pro SC.