R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Deans between motor and ESC better (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/39337-deans-between-motor-esc-better.html)

Richy89 04-27-2004 02:56 PM

Deans between motor and ESC better

If i put deans between my motor and my ESC will i get more power??

Is it worth it. dose it give you longer run times???

mattyk6 04-27-2004 03:10 PM

Putting Deans between the motor and the esc will only help if you are currently using bullet connections or some other connector. The best connection between the ESC and the motor will be a straight connection, having the ESC's wires soldered to the motor.

Richy89 04-27-2004 03:11 PM

What are bullet connections???

AE Racer 04-27-2004 03:17 PM

Bullet connectors are the connectors that come on sport level escs and motors that come with rtr or beginner cars they are the kind that have a piece of clear rubber that slides over them. Switching to deans would help if you're currently running bullet connectors. It will make no real diffrence between just soldering the wires to the motor or having deans in between. Deans claims that their plugs have less resistance than an equivalent piece of 12 guage wire. The only thing that will cause resistance is the extra 2 solder joints on each wire.

DOMOisCOOL 04-27-2004 03:48 PM

Deans between motor and ESC are for people that run multiple classes at a race or people that want to swap out their motor faster.

craziracer 04-27-2004 04:01 PM

personally i think deans are harder to put out...i think its faster to use a soldering iron but u need experince with the iron i would start with the deans because its is much better then those garbage bullet connectors

17driver 04-27-2004 05:11 PM

Direct solder to the motor is the way to go.

Richy89 04-28-2004 10:51 AM

OK im not going to direct sodder my motor to the ESC because i do change my motor often. But will i be able to tell the difference if i put deans instead of bullet????

I put deans on my battaries and charger and esc and i could tell a big difference. I got longer run times and more power.

Cain 04-28-2004 11:00 AM

you may get better runtime with the deans versus the bullet connectors.

As for deans versus direct solder, you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

I used to used to run connectors on my motors all the time, never had any issues.

wobbergoober 05-08-2004 08:27 AM

Dude, whether you change motors out alot or not, direct solder is still the best way to go. It is nothing to take a soldering iron, touch it to where the leads attach to the motor, and thats it, motor removed. A little flux, tin the tip, and presto, new motor back in. The thing is, those connectors are so big and bulky, that it is not the fact that they weigh anything, but the fact that when they are combined with all the other connectors and wires you got under the body, it can be a mess, so if you can eliminate a connection, why not. One word of advice, if you invest in a nice soldering station, it will be one of the best rc investments you will ever make. I picked up a top of the line, used, older, Ungar soldering station a couple months ago on ebay, for less than 50.00, and the thing rocks. Super hot, and it takes a split second to create an awesome " weld. " I used to use a big, bulky, quick-on, soldering " gun ", and I was always messing stuff up. Good luck!

Scott

Cain 05-08-2004 09:36 AM

Just go ahead and put the deans on the motor and esc. They are not that bulky, I ran powerpoles which are more bulky than the deans and never had any issue.