Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phisher
The pro's are all using Tyco Turbo Hopper's with various short course truck bodies on them. From a distance these look like normal Traxxas, Team Associated, OFNA, Jammin or HPI offerings but, they are really cleverly concealed Turbo Hoppers.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey guys, the best truck for me has been a xxx mf2 coverted sct truck, was really easy to do and eats up the sc10's all day long...
Attached Thumbnails Now Whats the Best Short Course Truck?-029.jpg   Now Whats the Best Short Course Truck?-033.jpg   Now Whats the Best Short Course Truck?-034.jpg   Now Whats the Best Short Course Truck?-031.jpg   Now Whats the Best Short Course Truck?-032.jpg  

Last edited by railman416; 04-24-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: none
Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by phisher
The pro's are all using Tyco Turbo Hopper's with various short course truck bodies on them. From a distance these look like normal Traxxas, Team Associated, OFNA, Jammin or HPI offerings but, they are really cleverly concealed Turbo Hoppers.
Ah the Tyco Turbo Hopper, That was my first rc car ever I loved that thing and would probaly still have it if i did not strap extra batteries in series to the 9.6v and go for a speed run. I had to watch it go up in smoke. Funny thing is that is the same day this kid showed me a copy of RC CAR ACTION. Ive been hooked since then.

I bought a Slash and raced it only because no one was running buggies in my area. It was okay, not realy tunable but still fun to drive and very durable, I never broke anything on it.

I just got a Blitz 5 days ago and Im ridiculously happy with it. I mean its way more tunable and almost as durable as my slash (I'm not big on hitting things anyway) but once setup in a 13.5 class its a BEAST. I admit I did swap out the servo and I did use Losi Shocks but hey I have been building them shocks for years. Change the servo and you will be very happy.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2wd or 4wd?

If you want 2wd then Blitz and sc10 rate the same...the Kyosho is newer with less parts available. they will all work and be race friendly the new blitz ese will be available soon and that would be the way I would go if I were to start again.

Now 4wd drive is more exciting than 2wd...
good way to get ready for 1/8 scale racing.
Jammin and OFNA are probably the best way to go, parts are not readily available for either and you will want to get parts online...Your local place should start carrying some items soon if not already.

Traxxas make a very durable truck in 2wd and 4wd but you won't be able to compete with it on race day. Both 2wd and 4wd are to top heavy and can't handle as well.
Still love traxxas and hope some day they will make a race truck!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This kind of question almost always ends up in a hundred pages of useless,
brand bashing argument with totally baseless opinions, so here's mine. I'm guessing you're not a pro driver, or else you would know what you were driving already, so here it is.....pick whichever one you can get parts for locally and race it or bash it. No matter which one you get, they all need something upgraded right out of the box. All are capable of winning local races if you can drive and set them up correctly. No matter which one you get there are 10 guys who will love it and 10 guys who hate it.

Get a Slash, it's cheap, it's waterproof, it's durable, 2.4 radio, parts are everywhere and you can race with it and win if you're up to it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am in the market and I am going SC10. I have a B4 and a T4 and have been happy with Team Associated. Go with what your gut says. No truck will make you a great driver only track time will do that.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Sc10 rocks iMO and only needs a couple upgrades to be every bit as durable as every other out there.. EVERY SINGLE truck requires an upgrade to brushless 17.5 for stock 13.5 for most tracks, I wouldn't bother with faster motors as they just get too fast for good control on most tracks.

SC10 Must do's to be pretty bullet proof

1) RPM front arms (comes w/ front pivot block as well)
2) RPM front bumper kit
3) Lunsford turnbuckles

Other nice tuning options
1) Losi 2 degree rear hubs (requires losi pins) -for most dirt tracks
2) Losi xxx-t (mf1/mf2) shocks (awesome hopup imo)
3) If your track allows proline caliber tires for outdoor offroad (stockers are great on high bit and carpet surfaces)

I will say all of these trucks need upgrades to CVD's as well if you don't buy the newer FT kit or blitz ESE kits.. They will hold out for quite a while but it's something that will need to be done at some point.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't let anyone tell you that you cant race a slash. My brother and I race slashes and yet to finish out of the top 5. We are usually 1st and 2nd over plenty of sc10's and blitz. And there are very durable.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twisted Nitro
Don't let anyone tell you that you cant race a slash. My brother and I race slashes and yet to finish out of the top 5. We are usually 1st and 2nd over plenty of sc10's and blitz. And there are very durable.
Put a well tuned blitz or sc10 in your hands and I guarantee your lap times go down Driving skills can never be replaced by a different model I could take a radio shack buggy to the track and beat a handful of people does that make it good? Just making a point, by no means is the slash as bad as a radio shack buggy :P
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Put a well tuned blitz or sc10 in your hands and I guarantee your lap times go down Driving skills can never be replaced by a different model I could take a radio shack buggy to the track and beat a handful of people does that make it good? Just making a point, by no means is the slash as bad as a radio shack buggy :P
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

the slash isnt a bad truck. at the indoor track twisted nitro and I race at its normally slashs in the top 5 (including us both). with a good setup and driving skills its a great truck. just get whatever you like best and drive it. theres no better truck really. its your driving style. you never know, if someone put a sc10 in my hands i might like it better, but you cant pass up the slashs durability. ive seen sc10's break way easier on little impacts than slashs didnt.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twisted Nitro
That's cuz you race in Ohio. There aren't any good drivers in Ohio.

Sorry, just kidding.

But seriously, I have yet to see a traxxas in the top 3 here on the East Coast. Any truck can work and for bashers, the parts availability and support make traxxas the truck to have. Racers I know would rather have a truck that needs fewer modifications to be race worthy.

Overall though, my personal opinion is that the best SC truck is going to be 4x4. It is so much more fun to drive.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
That's cuz you race in Ohio. There aren't any good drivers in Ohio.

Sorry, just kidding.

But seriously, I have yet to see a traxxas in the top 3 here on the East Coast.
maybe no one where you race knows how to drive them!! ever thought about that???

Last edited by Quad Racer 34; 04-25-2010 at 07:44 PM.